Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,732 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Boston to New York and seriously thinking about Ditmas Park as a landing spot. We are a lesbian couple with a baby and looking for a nice apartment in an apartment building (preferably a building with an exercise room). Is Ditmas Park in the middle of nowhere? Is the main drag very active and bustling or do you have to leave Ditmas Park to go anywhere interesting to eat or drink? How is the commute into Manhattan? Do those subway lines have lots of issues?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmom13 View Post
We are moving from Boston to New York and seriously thinking about Ditmas Park as a landing spot. We are a lesbian couple with a baby and looking for a nice apartment in an apartment building (preferably a building with an exercise room). Is Ditmas Park in the middle of nowhere? Is the main drag very active and bustling or do you have to leave Ditmas Park to go anywhere interesting to eat or drink? How is the commute into Manhattan? Do those subway lines have lots of issues?

Thanks!
It is far from the middle of nowhere.

The commute into Manhattan is relatively easy: Depending on the section of the neighborhood, you'll either have to take the (B)/(Q) trains or the (F) train, which should take about 30 minutes, depending on what part of Manhattan you are going to.

Right now, there is a reconstruction project on the Brighton Line, but it is wrapping up.

You can also take the BM1/BM2/BM3/BM4 express buses (by Cortelyou Road) into Manhattan. The trip time is roughly the same (again, depending on where in Manhattan you are going), and the fare is $5.50, but you get a more comfortable ride (you generally get a seat, and it is soft and comfortable)

As far as shopping goes, there is some shopping along Coney Island Avenue, as well as Flatbush Avenue, but I don't think there is really anything "interesting" in the area.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmom13 View Post

Thanks!
There is stuff happening all the time here, and the neighborhood is only growing. It's family-friendly, a short walk to Prospect Park, and Cortelyou Road, which might be considered the main strip, has plenty of restaurants and bars.

It's still the city, but it's like a small town within the city. People who live here really love it!

[url=http://ditmasparkblog.com]The Ditmas Park Blog: Ditmas Park, Brooklyn[/url]

Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Beautiful homes in Ditmas Park. It's a very unique area with a good history.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It is far from the middle of nowhere.

The commute into Manhattan is relatively easy: Depending on the section of the neighborhood, you'll either have to take the (B)/(Q) trains or the (F) train, which should take about 30 minutes, depending on what part of Manhattan you are going to.

Right now, there is a reconstruction project on the Brighton Line, but it is wrapping up.

You can also take the BM1/BM2/BM3/BM4 express buses (by Cortelyou Road) into Manhattan. The trip time is roughly the same (again, depending on where in Manhattan you are going), and the fare is $5.50, but you get a more comfortable ride (you generally get a seat, and it is soft and comfortable)

As far as shopping goes, there is some shopping along Coney Island Avenue, as well as Flatbush Avenue, but I don't think there is really anything "interesting" in the area.
30 minutes to somewhere in Manhattan, not necessarily anywhere you'd want to be. If you're going to work in Manhattan, you're probably going to work in Midtown, which is about an hour from Ditmas Park by train (maybe a little less on the B/Q than the F).

That said, Ditmas Park is very cute and definitely good value. The houses are beautiful there, and the commercial strip along Cortelyou Road is starting to get some nice restaurants and bars, although I wouldn't call Cortelyou bustling. I know a few couples living in nearby Kensington, and they do go out in Ditmas Park fairly frequently but do go to Park Slope a lot for dinner and evenings out, too. I think that's fairly common for most residents of Ditmas Park; the demand is there for a stronger commercial strip, and Cortelyou Road is slowly delivering.

Also, it already has a reputation for being the neighborhood where lesbian couples move to raise families (now that Park Slope has become pricey), so you'll fit right in.

I don't think there are many large apartment buildings in Ditmas Park that might have gyms, though. It's mostly large Victorian houses, which are frequently split into two- or three- family homes, plus some small apartment buildings along Cortelyou and near the edges of the neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Hi, i was see this place ..this is really cool greenery place ..
you can check all the criteria here..

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 70,519 times
Bumping this up instead of starting a new thread. Looks like I'll be moving to Ditmas Park (Argyle Road, between Courtelyou and Dorchester). I'm moving from the UK so didn't have a chance to check anywhere out first, Ditmas Park seemed like a quiet area for us to get our bearings. I'll be working in Union Square so the commute seemed ok and we're subletting for 4 months which should give us a good chunk of time to figure out where we would want (and can afford) to be.

Can anyone give me any pointers about the area that would be useful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City