Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You know why that is, is the AC systems on the trains. They blow some serious BTU's out the top of the train when they're running full blast in the summertime, which makes it even hotter on the platforms. That's why home AC units are always outside and away the house. They put off a lot of heat.

Absolutely correct and that doubles the reason why powerful fans are needed to evacuate the heated air from the stations and tunnels. The added heat load of air conditioners and bright lighting was not conceived of when the subways were built and it was thought the piston effect of the trains would be enough to move the air.
But it's not in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
The 4/5/6 Platform in Grand Central has A/C even though it's not very good.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post

AHA, that explains a lot.
Last week it was hot and humid on the East Side IRT at Grand Central and I walked to the center of the platofrm and felt a mysterious cool bit of breeze wafting into the dank pit of hell.
I couldn"t understand why the bit of cool but just stood among a growing pile of people all looking up quizzically.

So now I know.

Yes, it is NOT very good, but the task is an impossible one. Ventilation, though not as good a s AC, is at least possible.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Several weeks agos, I found myself at GC late night. Stupidly took the wrong train and was not happy about getting off at GC Which along with the IND 42nd street sation are the most unbearable.

Stumbled onto that portion of the platform and was simply AMAZED!!

A/C in the subway Hol-ly Sht! So, it can be done, and this is what it w/b like.

To me it was a welcome improvement. I was headed upstairs to catch a cab, but the a/c caused me to stay and save a few bucks.

I wonder what it was like during the 100 degree days. Though, I don't plan on finding out.

Its amazing what can be accomplished when someone dies from heat exhaution. It isn't that what happened at GC a few years ago?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Wussy wimps, y'all are. I now live in NC, before that New Orleans.

I remember living in NYC in the 50's - 60's. No cooling except the big bladed fans.

We'd take the Staten Island ferry to cool off.

Remember "Hot down, summer in the city". Hot down in the subway it was.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Did you notice that the hot cars had very few people in them?

When people are new here, they often rush to get into the car with the fewest number of people, which is always a mistake. If there is a major difference in crowd size from one car to the next, it means there is something wrong with the car with the small number of people...like no air conditioning or bad smell or crazy person.

I made this mistake a few times after I moved here until I noticed the pattern.
interesting. but that was where we needed to go we weren't going to wait around for another car.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Not cooler back then, no, but people did have a greater tolerance for body odor and heat. It was just an accepted norm. Back in that time period it was common for people to only have 2 or 3 sets of clothes and to wear them mulitple times without washing them and to never wear deodorant.

My grandfather used to pick cotton back in the 40s in the south, and he had to wear a hat, and a long sleeve shirt and tall socks. The reasoning was that when he sweated, the clothes got wet, and it actually kept him cooler, rather than letting the sweat evaporated. It seems counter productive, but it actually works. Long sleeves and collars and hats also protected from sun stroke and sun burns. This was before the advent of sun tan lotion.
actually went through that down in Florida. cotton is your best friend ...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM

from the responses I have recieved i would take it that air conditioning is not cost feasible for MTA

Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Several weeks agos, I found myself at GC late night. Stupidly took the wrong train and was not happy about getting off at GC Which along with the IND 42nd street sation are the most unbearable.

Stumbled onto that portion of the platform and was simply AMAZED!!

A/C in the subway Hol-ly Sht! So, it can be done, and this is what it w/b like.

To me it was a welcome improvement. I was headed upstairs to catch a cab, but the a/c caused me to stay and save a few bucks.

I wonder what it was like during the 100 degree days. Though, I don't plan on finding out.

Its amazing what can be accomplished when someone dies from heat exhaution. It isn't that what happened at GC a few years ago?
I used to take the train from that station. Before the A/C units were installed, a study found that platform could get as high as 125 degrees! I used to carry and ice pack and roll it around my arms and neck until the train came. It was horrible!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Did you notice that the hot cars had very few people in them?

When people are new here, they often rush to get into the car with the fewest number of people, which is always a mistake. If there is a major difference in crowd size from one car to the next, it means there is something wrong with the car with the small number of people...like no air conditioning or bad smell or crazy person.

I made this mistake a few times after I moved here until I noticed the pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
interesting. but that was where we needed to go we weren't going to wait around for another car.
When I said "car" I was talking about a "train car." Aren't we talking about trains here?

A train is made up of many cars. If the one that arrives in front of you on the platform has only a few people in it, and the cars connected to it have many people, all you have to do is walk a few steps to one of the other cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City