Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times

Advertisements

QUESTION 1: Does it fit my criteria?

Here's my criteria;

Diverse: A significant presence of at least 3 different racial-groups (and not much racial tensions).
Affordable: Nothing expensive; low to moderate rents/real estate by NYC standards preferred
Crime: As long as crime isn't extremely bad then it's a consideration.
Must have Subway access.
Good Parks nearby: With amenities like tennis/basketball courts, walking/jogging trails and maybe a picnicking area..

I know of sites like this that are a little helpful;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

But since I don't know the actual boundaries between these neighborhoods it's not so useful.

QUESTION 2: What do you guys think of the areas NORTH of Jamaica Ave, SOUTH of the Grand Central Pkwy, WEST of the Cross Island and EAST of the Van Wyck Expwy?

QUESTION 3: What about the areas WEST of the Van Wyck Expressway, EAST of Woodhaven Blvd/Cross Bay Blvd, NORTH of the Belt Pwy and SOUTH of Atlantic Ave?

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-26-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Sunnyside is good, it has a pretty good mix of Whites, Asians, and Hispanics, and it's an easy commute to Manhattan. I was about to recommend Fresh Meadows but that area doesn't have a Subway.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 PM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
For starters, few places in Queens aren't ethnically and racially diverse. I have two questions for you and then I'll let you know exactly where I think you want to be.

1. Is nightlife at all important to you?
2. How long of a commute do you want to Manhattan?

Jackson Heights is good place if you care about an easy commute, culture, good restaurants, etc. However, the nightlife sucks. Astoria is great all-around but can be very dense for some. Bayside (where I'm at now) has a pricier commute, but it's very convenient, very safe, and has plenty of things to do. The downside? It might be too suburban for you.

It all depends on your taste. Give me more criteria and I'll narrow down your options.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
For starters, few places in Queens aren't ethnically and racially diverse. I have two questions for you and then I'll let you know exactly where I think you want to be.

1. Is nightlife at all important to you?
2. How long of a commute do you want to Manhattan?

Jackson Heights is good place if you care about an easy commute, culture, good restaurants, etc. However, the nightlife sucks. Astoria is great all-around but can be very dense for some. Bayside (where I'm at now) has a pricier commute, but it's very convenient, very safe, and has plenty of things to do. The downside? It might be too suburban for you.

It all depends on your taste. Give me more criteria and I'll narrow down your options.
Nightlife I don't care about.

As long as the commute is under 30 mins, i'm good.

I would prefer it to be near major parks where you can use tennis courts, jog, observe nature and other leisure activities.

I would also prefer a large under-30 years old population.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
QUESTION 1: Does it fit my criteria?

Here's my criteria;

Diverse: A significant presence of at least 3 different racial-groups (and not much racial tensions).
Affordable: Nothing expensive; low to moderate rents/real estate by NYC standards preferred
Crime: As long as crime isn't extremely bad then it's a consideration.
Must have Subway access.
Good Parks nearby: With amenities like tennis/basketball courts, walking/jogging trails and maybe a picnicking area..

I know of sites like this that are a little helpful;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

But since I don't know the actual boundaries between these neighborhoods it's not so useful.

QUESTION 2: What do you guys think of the areas NORTH of Jamaica Ave, SOUTH of the Grand Central Pkwy, WEST of the Cross Island and EAST of the Van Wyck Expwy?

QUESTION 3: What about the areas WEST of the Van Wyck Expressway, EAST of Woodhaven Blvd/Cross Bay Blvd, NORTH of the Belt Pwy and SOUTH of Atlantic Ave?
Question 2 covered:
From west to east, the following neighborhoods are in your description:
Briarwood, Jamaica Estates, Queens Village
Briarwood and Queens Village (most of it) are average decent working class neighborhoods. Jamaica Estates is more working class around Hillside Avenue, but the single family residences can get expensive on the side streets off Hillside Avenue, it has a small weathly enclave.

Question 3 covered:
From north to south, the following neighborhoods are in your description:
Richmond Hill, Ozone Park, South Ozone Park
Heavy Indian population (both from India and the Carribbean), working class neighborhoods. Crime is higher than the neighborhoods covered in question 2, but still not enough for me to call it a bad neighborhood.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 PM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
Based on all of what you've said, I think you should look into Astoria, Woodside, Kew Gardens, and Bayside.

I'm in Bayside now and it's partly like being in the suburbs except around the corner from me I have tons of bars, restaurants, markets, pharmacies, a cigar lounge, a wine bar, etc. Meanwhile, a five-minute walk in the opposite direction and I have million dollar homes, a beautiful park with trails, a 2.5 mile path along the water, etc. As someone who grew up in an urban environment, I can tell you Bayside is a really sweet happy medium between city and burb. And the Long Island Railroad is across the street (27 minutes to Penn Station; 20-minute express train once or twice a day). No crime at all.

Kew Gardens is closer to the city and more dense but has gorgeous Forest Park right next to it. Look at the apartments on and around where Lefferts Blvd. meets Austin St. They have their own little independent movie theater and an organic produce and products store. You can take the Long Island Railroad from there too (20 minutes to Penn) or walk 10 blocks to the E/F subway lines. A little quieter and older but there are bars and restaurants where young people in their 20s and 30s mingle.

As far as proximity to Manhattan and stuff to do, Astoria might be the best in Queens. Tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, gyms, movie theater, etc. Tons of young transplants. 15-minute subway ride into Manhattan. Only knock on Astoria is that it's very dense and green space is limited. You have Astoria Park by the water, but if you're nowhere near it, it could be a trek getting to it.

Woodside (where I'm from) is cool too if you're into ethnic eateries and cultural diversity. Very easy commute to Manhattan. Almost no green space though and while it's not unsafe, more so than in the other areas I named, you'll need to watch yourself. Depending where you are in Woodside you could be walking into tranny hookers and drunk Mexicans at 3 am. 99% of the time they won't bother you, but every now and then something happens. I love the neighborhood though and if you're not out and about at night, you'll be fine.

Personally, based on what you've said, I think Kew Gardens and Bayside are your spots. They're kind of urban-suburban hybrids, culturally diverse, safe, near good parks, and an easy commute to Manhattan.

With the exception of Jamaica Estates, all of the neighborhoods SeventhFloor named are not easy commutes to Manhattan. If you lived in the apartments on Midland Pkwy, you'd be two blocks from the last stop on the F train, which would get you to Penn Station in about 35 minutes. What I don't personally like about that area is that it's racially segregated. You go one block and it's nothing but orthodox Jews in mansions. You go two blocks the other way and it's mostly working class and working poor blacks and every house has bars on its windows. Hillside Ave isn't pretty to the eyes. It's not unsafe but you'll see some unsavory characters.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
My picks would be, LIC Astoria Sunnyside Woodside, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Rego park,

Diverse, Safe and great access to the city and great shopping and restaurants

Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 AM

84 posts, read 277,322 times
I think we need ot know what you can afford in rent.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm sorry.

Up to $1400 for a Studio or 1 bedroom.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM

84 posts, read 277,322 times
For that price you could do Astoria without much difficulty. LIC might be possible but it is getting pricier. I forgot wht your original thread said, but do you want an easy commute, if so Astori as good. if you don't work in the city then you could look at neighborhoods in Eastern Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City