Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times

Advertisements

So you fall into the bucket of:

-It's not enough
-What took you so long
-You are doing it for publicity

I am not promoting his agenda, I am acknowledging something positive he is doing...something posters on here just can't seem to do. And that makes me pro-Bloomberg somehow....nope...it makes you guys appear like stereotypical whiney NYers.

What a normal person would say: Hey it's 75 degrees and sunny today. What a nice day.
A typical New Yorker: I'd be happy if it were 80. 75 is too cold. I wish it were 80 and slightly less sunny, it feels to cool. Why can't it ever be 80, I hate this city. Pretty soon it will be winter and it won't matter anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Sobroguy I gotta agree with the rest of the posters here... It seems that you're quick to rush to his support that you fail to see the coincidences that Jaged and others have pointed out about the potential reasons for this move... If you read my original comment, you'll realize that I am starting to see positive results from his methods which thankfully now allows kids to be accountable for themselves way more than in previous years when passing these exams became a joke... that being said, the other 19 negatives to his one (what you consider large but reality to him is small) positive, far outweigh anything else he's currently doing to help blacks and hispanics... (Not really a rant, just stating what can be seen through objective lenses... btw, this is not a slight at you but at some other posters who claim that i have an agenda)...

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM

The bottom line is this: Would you like to have $10,000 in your pocket because someone gave it to you so you would like them more, and with that money you can now stay in your apt, go back to school, buy your kids books for class, and buy a new pair of work boots so your feet are not blistered and you can walk?

OR Would you rather say why are you only giving me $10,000, you should have been giving me $10,000 all the time. I don't want your $10,000, how dare you give me $10,000....and then you take nothing, get evicted from your apt, can't go to school, etc etc.

That's ultimately what these young black and hispanic males are choosing: $10K or no $10K, and the choices for them are that serious and grave. But hey...we hate Bloomberg for daring to care, and somehow his intentions are supposed to be 100% angelic (and whose intentions are by the way)?

I am simply acknowledging something positive, while everyone else sees this negatively. And that's really sad. The correct response should have been: Although I don't like Bloomberg, and I am sure it's really for this or that, it is a good thing he is doing, we need more of that from ALL the wealthy people..it's a good start, hopefully this will help and make a difference.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM

The action itself is generous no doubt and we are not debating that... but the fact that his appeal with the black and hispanic population has sunk dramatically this year in polls seems to be a very interesting coincidence in combination with this story...

You are absolutely correct that no politician's intentions are 100% angelic which is why I personally am neutral in terms of politics and who I support and who I don't. That being said, it is painfully obvious to most on here that the glaring reason why he's doing this has nothing to do with providing help to the struggling Blacks and hispanics but rather try to win back some support after losing so much of the public's approval this year...

So then if we know that's what seems to be the case... and 30 million in comparison with his 18 billion net worth is roughly 1/600... It is the exact same thing as a person whose making roughly 75,000 in this city donating $125 of their salary to a church... Thoughtful gesture no doubt, but not exactly one that will hurt the bank and considering the motives behind it... I'm sorry but he won't be receiving any extra support from me...

Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM

I can't say that the glaring reason is because he has lost support of blacks/hispanics...that is debatable. Why would he care unless he is planning to run for a 4th term? He has billions and according to most on here could care less about us "regular folks", yet you/they also think he wants to win the hearts and minds of Taekwan and Gustavo, 2 unemployed HS drop outs from East New York with criminal records? He wants to have street cred with the homeys?

This doesn't make sense.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM

you really put running for a 4th term past this guy... enough said...

Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM

I really do not believe he will run for a 4th term, and there is no evidence to support that. If he runs for a 4th term, I might as well run, because at this point people will vote for anyone besides him..so I might be Mayor!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 PM

157 posts, read 394,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I can't say that the glaring reason is because he has lost support of blacks/hispanics...that is debatable. Why would he care unless he is planning to run for a 4th term? He has billions and according to most on here could care less about us "regular folks", yet you/they also think he wants to win the hearts and minds of Taekwan and Gustavo, 2 unemployed HS drop outs from East New York with criminal records? He wants to have street cred with the homeys?

This doesn't make sense.
First of all, do you think Bloomberg will not care about his reputation when he leaves office? Of course he will! Maybe not in 10 years, but he no doubt will care about his rep when he leaves office in 2012.

Who said he doesn't care about regular folk? He cares about doing business and what drives business is cash money homey. Who has cash money? Big businesses and corporations. Luxury apartments and condominiums. It keeps the city's economy and real estate robust. The one thing missing from his formula is a good public education system, which is the number one reason why so many people still live in poverty in NYC, despite declining crime statistics and urban renewal projects.

Street cred? I guess I have to take all of your comments with a grain of salt. Yes, he wants to have a good image even with Tyrone Biggs and Shaniqua Johnson from the 'Ville because those are the people that are anchoring his negative publicity.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Legit LOL @ this backfire of a thread...

Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM

I think Bloomberg's reputation will be decided after he is in office, and has little to do with this $30 million donation. It won't change anyone's minds (as we can see on this thread), especially not Rakim Jackson and Pablo Jimenez's who have bigger things to worry about than Bloomberg's rep. They won't care now, they won't care 10 years from now, and they are not the ones driving his negative publicity. It is the working/middle class people who are getting the shaft.....and it's because a whole mess of things PRIOR to Bloomberg which have culminated in what you see today.

And I would disagree that the number one reason we have so many people in poverty is bad education. You can educate yourself all you want, but if nobody wants to hire you, nobody will sell you a house, and nobody wants to see you as an equal...none of it matters. And that is why we have so many in poverty...it's the have's making sure they have it all, at every one else's expense, and it's always been that way.

It's kinda sad that there was only one poster who actually voiced that this initiative was something good. The rest just piled on attacks to Bloomberg..a little dysfunctional I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City