Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
In fact, I may have an area for you. Try Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. By the definition of ghetto, it is a ghetto. There are Jewish, Chinese and Russians there. But it varies by which area you are in. By my standards, the area is not dirty. For your car, there is plenty of street parking. Tons of nice restaurants, and you may be able to get a decent one bedroom by a small private landlord for around $1150.
And please don't think I was ripping you a new one with my last post, I was just defending my city.
I agree with everything except the abundance of street parking. I live in B.R. and trust me, parking can be a challenge like most of BK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsdiv View Post
Some of you must have misread my post, but I stated I was looking for areas(cheap) that were close to Manhattan. The bronx, I did not like that area at all, I feel sorry for the other member that is moving there. I hope you find a nice, livable, clean area.

I was not aware that these areas were ugly until I went there. I was attracted to these areas due to the low rents that I have found online and even had met up with real estate agents and people who were trying to rent out their apartments to me, but I could not live in those areas. It is mainly the people that made the area the way it is, I am assuming. Since these areas rents were relavtively cheap and I wanted to live close to Manhattan I said why not go check them out. I was in for a rude surprise, but I am sure there is decent apartment complexes in those areas, I would just not live there or even visit again for that matter. I think that is how they get newbies to the city, they attract them with low rents in horrible neighborhoods. Because as it seems, all of the cheaper housing is in the bad areas.

About Inwood and Washington Height, I didn't like those areas because they were mostly mexican/latino people there most probably here illegally., i definitely stood out. In fact the areas where I looked at in the bronx were heavily mexican as well. A lot of people were speaking spanish and I felt that I would not and did not belong there. The stares and comments that I had gotten from the men there were creepy and offensive. Not trying to say that all of the Bronx is this way but this is what I have seen with my own eyes. I do not feel comfortable being a female, going through northern manhattan and the bordering bronx areas both day and night.

Most of Queens was nice, did not have a bad experience there. I drove mostly everywhere so I did not take public transportation. I could definitely see myself living somewhere in Queens I am sure Staten Island is nice too, but I did not have the time to visit there. All in all, I would love to live in Manhattan because that is where all the excitement and best restaurants are. But I would not mind living in Queens.

About roommates, I have never considered even living with one. It is probably the norm here to live with a roommate. I have seen that most of them do not like pets(weird)? And I am bringing pets with me on my relocation. Speaking of pets, having a park to walk my dog in is very important. If I live in NYC there would be no backyard so my dog cannot roam around freely in, like I have here. Most of the parks in the areas I went to were dirty and full of trash. Lot's of men my age or younger just standing there for hours on end, smoking in front of young children, they also lurk on street corners and in those small convenience stores or whatever you call them up there. Not trying to be offensive but you live in one of the best cities in the world get out the house/neighborhood and do SOMETHING!. Geez..

You are in for major culture shock when you move here.
Ok you do realize that new York is a city right? There's going to be groups of people at all hours of the night, it's also called the city that never sleeps?
The Bronx has it good parts and it's bad parts like every other town, city, suburb, state that's just the way it is. I lived there for 11 years and guess what..... I've always been fine
The Hispanic presence in NY is very high and no they are not all Mexican or illegal. Like someone else said why would it mater anyway. On what you're looking to pay you'll be living next to a lot of Hispanic people who may not know English. Actually anywhere you go you'll find a lot of Hispanic and Spanish speaking people with the exception of probably the upper east side which you can't afford anyway.
It's very hard for you to "get out and do something" when you work 9-5, have kids, chores and errands to do.

Oh one last thing almost no roomate will accept a dog. Almost no owner will accept a dog. Only way you'll be 100% that they will accept your dog is if you move into a project building which I know you're not going to do.

The

Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post

Oh one last thing almost no roomate will accept a dog. Almost no owner will accept a dog. Only way you'll be 100% that they will accept your dog is if you move into a project building which I know you're not going to do.

The
I can imagine that roommates would reject a pet, but it is not true that all landlords will.

Many people have dogs in NYC, and many landlords accept dogs. You can see this just by looking through the listings.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,694 times
I was referring mostly to the areas I know... I apologize..

Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This makes it even clearer that you would be incapable of adjusting to living in NYC,especially with such a meager income.So why would you even consider moving to a place that you can't afford and has so many things that would irritate you on a daily basis ?

I'd forget about NYC if I were you.
Too bad I can't rep you twice.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM

47 posts, read 143,638 times
Obvious troll is obvious. Why do all these spoiled out-of-towners want to move to NYC anyway? I'm a 3rd-gen New Yorker currently exiled in Jersey City with a roommate because I work for a nonprofit publishing company (a rather large one, but it still doesn't make for decent wages!) and I actually make UNDER $40k.

Guess what: it's possible to live here quite happily on such a pitiful income if live smart and you're willing to commute. I'm about to move to a nice one-bedroom in Borough Park very close to the N line. The commute is the same as my commute from Journal Square, the building is lovely and the neighborhood is diverse, friendly and decently kept. I'm not going to be dining out a lot and I'm going to clip coupons and get essentials from the dollar store, but I know what I can afford, budget carefully, and appreciate that there are still places for me in the city that housed my parents and grandparents (and myself until I moved out of my parents' place!)

Spoiled, racist whiner with a car wants to drive and live with her dog and live close to Manhattan and never see a nonwhite person?

Take out "live close to Manhattan" and you'll find that South Carolina is the perfect place for you, after all, you sad little troll.

(And before you ask - I'm white. I can still spot a spoiled racist nitwit. Oh, you're out to help all those poor little "Mexican children" that are making it impossible to live out your Being-Carrie Bradshaw-masturbation fantasy? Boo hoo.)

Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
bath beach - bensonhurst are safe and affordable neighborhoods.
you chose the crappiest hood to look at???

Old 09-16-2011, 02:49 PM

110 posts, read 299,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This makes it even clearer that you would be incapable of adjusting to living in NYC,especially with such a meager income.So why would you even consider moving to a place that you can't afford and has so many things that would irritate you on a daily basis ?

I'd forget about NYC if I were you.
Repped. Stay in SC. The natives who like the city need jobs, too.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,825 times
What is you're fear in life? Whether or not the neighborhood is safety, everybody gets whipped by life! . Well this Is Manhood!! Sorry but weak hearts are sugar for the bees!! ..

Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I now live in Harlem, the rest of my prior life adjacent to the East Village, and I can state definitively that the East Village was NEVER as ghetto as Harlem remains now.

Original poster: Your best bet is Astoria - I know many people living there.
Your prior life must have beena really short! How old are you?

The reality is that the East Village including Alpabet City were as 'ghetto' as Harlem AND the South Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City