Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,653,010 times

Advertisements

Hello New Yorkers

Heres my situation..I live in the suburb of Aurora,Colorado in Denver. I'm a traveler and I travel to atleast 15 different places outside of Denver a year. I've had so many places I was thinking to move to go to University...Phoenix, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City...the list goes on. I realize that living in all of these cities is somewhat un-realistic. I've been to New York State once when I was 5, so obviously i don't remember. Even then, I was in Albany, so I've never been to NYC. Anyways, I think I'm going to take a break from looking for schools to go (To late to be excepted now) and move with my family to NYC in the Next 2 weeks. I'm really nervous about moving, because its such a big city, and Denver is a village compared . If I do move to NYC, i will need to find a job and will be moving to the suburb of Hicksville. Here are my questions...

-Is finding a job easy?
-Hows the cost of living?
-Has anybody lived in Denver and can tell me about the changes?
-What fun things are there to do (Zoos,amusment parks,Nightlife,etc)
-Is it safe?
-Is traffic really bad?
-For the most part, are people nice?
-Will I have problems ajusting?
-Anymore info...

I'm going to miss the mountains, my friends, family, And just Denver as a whole. But I'm also ready to try something new! I'm nervous, but also very excited! Please help me! Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:27 PM

18,898 posts, read 13,792,221 times
I wish I could trade you.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:39 PM

84 posts, read 249,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Hello New Yorkers

Heres my situation..I live in the suburb of Aurora,Colorado in Denver. I'm a traveler and I travel to atleast 15 different places outside of Denver a year. I've had so many places I was thinking to move to go to University...Phoenix, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City...the list goes on. I realize that living in all of these cities is somewhat un-realistic. I've been to New York State once when I was 5, so obviously i don't remember. Even then, I was in Albany, so I've never been to NYC. Anyways, I think I'm going to take a break from looking for schools to go (To late to be excepted now) and move with my family to NYC in the Next 2 weeks. I'm really nervous about moving, because its such a big city, and Denver is a village compared . If I do move to NYC, i will need to find a job and will be moving to the suburb of Hicksville. Here are my questions...

-Is finding a job easy?
-Is it safe?
-Is traffic really bad?
-Anymore info...

I'm going to miss the mountains, my friends, family, And just Denver as a whole. But I'm also ready to try something new! I'm nervous, but also very excited! Please help me! Thank you for reading.
1. Depends what you do!
2. High unless you wanna live in a bad area or in a tiny apartment.
3. There aren't amusement parks in the city but their Six Flags is in Jersey not too far, Dorney is in PA not too far, Splish Splash upstate I think.
4. New York is the safest major city in the US the crime rate is a little over the national average some years its under. This chart is from 07 but will answer this New York vs. DenverModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
5. Yes traffic is bad especially in the Cross Bronx and tolls are high. But I here Denver has a bad reputation when it comes to traffic and driving.
6. The New Yorkers are rude think isn't true depends on the person I find people to be for the most part nice. Just don't expect hi from everyone.

When it comes to crime you always have to be street smart no matter where your from. New York is like the typical Northeastern city. Cold Winters, Hot Humid Summers. Cool Spring and Fall.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:53 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM

202 posts, read 684,525 times
Im gonna keep it as simple as possible.

-Is finding a job easy?-Depends. Usually, no. It's quite hard to become employed at a decent-paying job here.
-Hows the cost of living?-In short, it's pretty expensive. Far more than Denver.
-What fun things are there to do (Zoos,amusment parks,Nightlife,etc)- There are lots of stuff to do. There is SixFlags in NJ, and lots of clubs and bars. We got Yankee stadium, the Bronx Zoo. I'm never really bored in the city.
-Is it safe?-There are safe areas, but also very dangerous areas.
-Is traffic really bad?-Oh you have no idea.
-For the most part, are people nice?-Ehh, a lot of nice people, but you have a-holes too.
-Will I have problems adjusting?-New York is more than 10x bigger than Denver. Its extremely dense, so get used to hearing your neighbors business through the walls. It's a very hectic lifestyle, but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,101,522 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses!
You might be able to get better responses on the Long Island forum, since Hicksville is in Long Island. However, Long Islanders are generally more sheltered, so their opinions may be a bit skewed in that regard.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Thank you everybody for your awnsers! Its beyond appreciated!

I've been on alot of fourms, and this is one of the first that hasn't given me a rude, disrespectful, or backhanded awnser. I'm guessing thats saying something about the people?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,606,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
You might be able to get better responses on the Long Island forum, since Hicksville is in Long Island. However, Long Islanders are generally more sheltered, so their opinions may be a bit skewed in that regard.
Generalize much?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,606,651 times
Quote:
Hello New Yorkers

-Is finding a job easy?
-Is it safe?
-Is traffic really bad?
-Anymore info...

Hicksville is in Nassau County, on Long Island. It has nothing to do whatsoever with NYC other than being in the suburbs.

I wouldn't move to Long Island without a job lined up and depending upon your field, finding work in this economy might be difficult.

Hicksville has a nice cross section of people and a good Indian population. The
Long Island Railroad has a station in town. There are many different stores and shopping. The beach, the coliseum, movie theaters, restaurants and bars are accessible.

You're better off on the LI forum for more localized answers.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,101,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Generalize much?
What? It's true. Maybe not Long Islanders in general, but if you see the board, you'll see that a lot of them think that every Hispanic is illegal, and every area that isn't lily-white is a slum.

For example, there was somebody who talked about Centereach being 11.3% Hispanic, like that somehow made it extremely diverse (or maybe its "large" Hispanic population makes it a bad area). My neighborhood is 17% Hispanic and by NYC standards, it's far from diverse.

Most Long Islanders aren't like that, and there are some members on the LI board that are more accepting of other races, but they aren't the norm. In any case, the example of Centereach shows that their views are skewed to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City