Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,207 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Crown street and Washington Ave in the Crown Heights/LPG area.

I'm relocating from bedstuy because I didn't feel comfortable there - my car was stolen twice. I've been told this could happen anywhere in brooklyn, but I still need a change, and there is not much to do in the area I live in currently anyway.

The apt I found is very inexpensive, and that causes a little suspicion.

I'd like some honest opinions about the safety of this area. I've been doing a lot of research and want to get the thoughts of people who live in the area. I'd be moving with my brother, and three SWF to a four bedroom. I think the area is gorgeous, I love the proximity to the park. I just need a feel for the people who live there. I walked around and it seemed like mostly families, but I know there is a low income housing unit nearby and I'm wondering how and if that could effect things.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
My info is slightly old (2005) but it might help you anyway. I looked at a place near there and also wondered about the safety of the area. I walked over to the nearest police station I could find -- it may have been a transit police station. They seemed to think the area was ok EXCEPT during the afternoons when the high schools let out. They said it is total mayhem in the area at that time of day and they even advised that I not use the nearest subway station but to walk over to another stop. I guess the high schools --- I believe there are 2 nearby-- are pretty bad and there are regular fights.

Since that time, I know there's been quite a bit of gentrification with bars catering to a new population opening up on Franklin Ave., etc. and I am not familiar with any of those changes firsthand.

The other thing I noted was that Washington Ave seemed deserted at night and a little creepy.

Isnt there a plan for the CUNY school, Medgar Evars, over there to have a huge expansion? You should definitely check into construction plans for that. You wouldn't want to move in and the next day have construction start across the street.
Digital publications, newspaper, magazine and book - Npaper BETA (http://npaper-wehaa.com/city-hall/2011/02/18/#?article=1174954 - broken link)
Good luck.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Why waste your time on neighborhoods with relatively high crime rates? Sure CH is better than many parts of Bed Stuy (though Bed Stuy is huge, and varies) but its still not great. Just move to a low crime rate neighborhood. Precinct figures show you that.

Also that nonsense line about "it can happen anyway" is a waste of breath. Sure it can, the issue is how often does it happen - thats the relevant info.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
As Henna said, during school hours its pretty rowdy.
Lot of drug dealing in the neighborhood, the occassional shooting happens.
A small amount of gentrification has occured on Franklin Avenue but in my opinion crime has not decreased in the area.
Also you will be a prisoner in your house Labor Day Weekend. The crowds of people on the street at 4 AM are nauseating enough if you are not used to LAbor Day weekend in Brooklyn.

Only plus about the area IMO is that the apartments are huge and it is a quick commute to Manhattan.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
I used to work in an office a block away. Its "ok" at least during the day, but still the hood and I personally would not want to live there myself.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
[Not proofing, so hope the typos aren't too bad.]

Transplants wouldn't know a hood if they lived in one.

That said, if you dealt with bed-stuy, then you can deal with Crown Heights.

The issue as I see it, as in all places, is who are your neighbors. The buildings on Washington Ave are rather large and security is marginal. Parking is an issue. Too many cars, not enough street parking. Which means you often will park 1 to 4 blocks from your apartment. Late night that's not the best proposition.

Yes, Washington Ave is a residential street facing the backside of the Botanic Gardens. Nice views if you are high enough. Not much foot traffic, as there is no reason for there to be. I'd probably utilize the BMT station at Prospct Park, B/Q train. Late night the walk from the subway will be lonely, particularly during Winter.

You can also utilize the IRT, Brooklyn Museum/Eastern Parkway station, a little further, but the walk is down hill.

Park Slope is in walking distance, and a short taxi ride away. I'd suggest you primarily do your shopping and entertaining in Park Slope/Prospect Heights.

As far as the car, get rid of it! The reason is not the typical, 'you don't need a car in NYC' nonsense, I personally feel the opposite. Yet your history appears poor, and suggests you really don't know how to 'keep' a car in Brooklyn for sure! That is a subject for another thread, but it would seem you are an easy mark, and you are likely to have a similar experience.

Utilizing area radio gypsy cabs will prove cheaper, and easy to get around locally. Lkie I said to and from PS/PH, and possibly from the subway to your buildng. The ride from Manhattan isn't that bad either.

All that said, there are and can be issues. I'd say its 50/50 that you might find negativity in one or more of your neighbors. Also, last year there was a guy going round physically assaulting old ladies and robbing them. It made the news and I believe he was caught.

Yes, there are 3 or more schools in the area, and things have been known to get rowdy from time to time. Yes, the Labor Day parade is a neighborhood stopper. Fully imposing itself on the overall area in a variety of ways. Foot traffic, noise levels, and general activity, will increase expotentially. Also, there is a 'festival' on Flatbush starting at Empire and extending to Parkside Ave.

Frankly, I suggest you look deeper into Brooklyn. Midwood, Madison, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Marine Park, are all relatively safe neighborhoods with relatively affordable rents. You should also look on Ocean Parkway from Church Ave onward. None of these areas are trendy, nor are they near trendy areas, but you could keep your car in relative safety. They are all predominantly white areas, some heavy with immigrants.

Just be aware, cheap rents are cheap for a reason, there are no bargain rents!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Btw, Medgar Evans is two long blocks away on Bedford Avenue. Noise from construction is unlikely to effect you on Washington Ave.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,289 times
You'll be fine, there's not too much stuff on Franklin over there, even if your close to the parkway. That construction won't bother you at all, I have a good associate in a building one block over (only problem dude has is a crappy neighbor but thats another story). You can do some shopping for your local needs a little further down on Flatbush, and when the parade comes just have some roti and deal with it lol.

The rent is probably cheap because so many people don't want to live that close to ebbets field. I agree with seventh, the apts around that way are pretty big.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM

277 posts, read 883,782 times
Smile Brownstone in in Crown Heights Brooklyn

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: