U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,914 times

Advertisements

New to the forum but have read everything I could find about Harlem previously posted. I, like everyone else, would appreciate info from the police officers on here or people familiar with this particular area. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to visit the area and I know things can vary from block to block. I am looking at subletting a place on 113 and Lennox Ave which as far as I can tell is "Central Harlem." I'm not sure what is on this block but seems to be a large housing project among other things.

I lived at 164 and Fort Washington in Washington Heights and felt safe - close to Broadway, 168th A stop, and Columbia Medical Center next door. (One of the nicer areas up there). I have no problem living in a community where I am a minority as I have for many years and do enjoy diversity. I currently live in an "up and coming" neighborhhood in LA but I am a white female (late 20s) who will be coming home from work late at night. My husband will be with me most of the time (he is also white). I am more concerned with the random acts of violence (since I am not a gang member or target that I know of). It seems like there is some tension these days with long time residents being driven out of the area by people who look like me and after the drum drama, I'm wondering if there is hostility. I know it's 3 blocks from the subway so it could be a better area. Could anyone let me know what there is to fear in this particular area - loud noise all night, gang activity, random acts of violence, drugs? I have street smarts and generally cab it home really late at night but I don't want to be naive or stuck in crossfire.

I know neighborhoods change quickly and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,312,621 times
Central Harlem is a dump if you ask me. Much better areas in the city with similar rents.

W 113th and Lennox Ave is between the MLK PJ's and a bunch of horrible NYCHA rehabs on one of the worst blocks in Harlem.

-Random violence, pretty common in the area. Mugging, jumpings, ect.
-Tension, yes. Both from more recent events and everlasting racism.
-Gang activity, this is Harlem.
-Drugs, this is Harlem.
-Loud noise all night. Yes this is Harlem, and being there are projects nextdoor, even more noise. You are also one block from one of the worst blocks in Harlem. W 114th between 7th and 8th Aves.

Oh and as for Diversity, an area is not diverse if it's mostly Black and your the only outsider.

Look elseware and good luck.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,914 times
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 AM

3,645 posts, read 6,721,991 times
That area is one of the hottest pieces of real estate in this city right now, especially just north of Central Park! It is prime location, beautiful historic buildings and also some brand new townhowses.

If this was the 70s and 80s, Hustla would be correct! That area was a well known drug den, where many upper class cats would buy their drugs (i.e. David Kennedy). But this is 2007! I would advise to take a walk around the area (you need to see for yourself, anyway!) and get a feel for whether the nabe is for you. Then make your decision.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,942,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
That area is one of the hottest pieces of real estate in this city right now, especially just north of Central Park! It is prime location, beautiful historic buildings and also some brand new townhowses.

If this was the 70s and 80s, Hustla would be correct! That area was a well known drug den, where many upper class cats would buy their drugs (i.e. David Kennedy). But this is 2007! I would advise to take a walk around the area (you need to see for yourself, anyway!) and get a feel for whether the nabe is for you. Then make your decision.
Oh, bull****, you act like NYC has no dangerous neighborhoods anymore. Seriously, you're arguing with an NYPD Officer about crime in a neighborhood. Which one should I believe? There's areas of NYC where I'd rather be in Compton than in those neighborhoods.

Just a quick question, are you a real estate agent? I can't remember who, but in another thread, someone was boosting Red Hook real estate for two young girls.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Harlem has improved in terms of renovations and new business but it still has it's problems. Still a ghetto. It still has plenty of hot spots. Especially Central Harlem. That block is between two major hot spots. MLK Towers and W 113th, 7th to 8th Aves. That is why I strongly do not recommend it. Honestly in my opinion, Harlem as a whole just has too many problems to justify the cost of living there.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Oh, bull****, you act like NYC has no dangerous neighborhoods anymore. Seriously, you're arguing with an NYPD Officer about crime in a neighborhood. Which one should I believe? There's areas of NYC where I'd rather be in Compton than in those neighborhoods.

Just a quick question, are you a real estate agent? I can't remember who, but in another thread, someone was boosting Red Hook real estate for two young girls.
I'm not a real estate agent, but I'm tired of y'all Five-O's (or Future Five-O's) bashing Black neighborhoods, despite the fact that entities choosing to invest and live in those areas (businesses, people, etc) are not listening to you!

Five-O's attitudes toward Black neighborhoods....no wonder Al Sharpton is still in business?

By the way, all the boats dock at Red Hook (even the Queen Mary was there last year!). Red Hook also has it's first $1 million sale last year!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not a real estate agent, but I'm tired of y'all Five-O's (or Future Five-O's) bashing Black neighborhoods, despite the fact that entities choosing to invest and live in those areas (businesses, people, etc) are not listening to you!

Five-O's attitudes toward Black neighborhoods....no wonder Al Sharpton is still in business?

By the way, all the boats dock at Red Hook (even the Queen Mary was there last year!). Red Hook also has it's first $1 million sale last year!
Oh please, who is bashing Harlem becuase it's Black.

Do I bash Cambria Heights in Queens? No.

I bash Harlem becuase it is an overpriced ghetto. The people who invest in the neighborhod are doing so becuase most don't live there. They are business owners or buying property and renting it out. Some even building new construction. The people asking questions on forums like this are those people being ripped off. In the end though, it is the Black community who will suffer the most. Look at Columbia University's plans to buy all those blocks in the southern areas of West Harlem near the University. What do you think will happen to all those Black families. I have a feeling that swath will soon be White if that happens. So much for BLACK POWER...

All the work being done in Harlem now is not for the Black community of Harlem. It's for the White yuppies they are hoping will take over and give the Blacks the boot through economics.

As for Red Hook, have you read the papers. Their primary retail strip is empting out. Area is dead boring. Only action is the shootouts in the Red Hook Houses and the cars being torched on the side streets in the early AM.

Put the race card away.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Oh please, who is bashing Harlem becuase it's Black.

Do I bash Cambria Heights in Queens? No.

I bash Harlem becuase it is an overpriced ghetto. The people who invest in the neighborhod are doing so becuase most don't live there. They are business owners or buying property and renting it out. Some even building new construction. The people asking questions on forums like this are those people being ripped off. In the end though, it is the Black community who will suffer the most. Look at Columbia University's plans to buy all those blocks in the southern areas of West Harlem near the University. What do you think will happen to all those Black families. I have a feeling that swath will soon be White if that happens. So much for BLACK POWER...

All the work being done in Harlem now is not for the Black community of Harlem. It's for the White yuppies they are hoping will take over and give the Blacks the boot through economics.

As for Red Hook, have you read the papers. Their primary retail strip is empting out. Area is dead boring. Only action is the shootouts in the Red Hook Houses and the cars being torched on the side streets in the early AM.

Put the race card away.
You are underestimating the many folk of Harlem who welcome the changes! You are also underestimating the fact that there is a Black gentry (you don't think quite a few Black people have enough money to invest in the hood, do you?). Add to that Harlem's location.....15-25 minutes to work in Midtown or Lower Manhattan, as opposed to an hour to/from Cambria Heights (You didn't think about that, huh?).

And by the way, I used to jog in Red Hook Park all the time, with no problems!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You are underestimating the many folk of Harlem who welcome the changes! You are also underestimating the fact that there is a Black gentry (you don't think quite a few Black people have enough money to invest in the hood, do you?). Add to that Harlem's location.....15-25 minutes to work in Midtown or Lower Manhattan, as opposed to an hour to/from Cambria Heights (You didn't think about that, huh?).

And by the way, I used to jog in Red Hook Park all the time, with no problems!
Welcome the changes? Not from what I hear from Harlemites. Most feel they will get the boot in time (those that even realize the scope of whats going on). It's not a Black gentrification either. Like you said before, Swiss Banks, then you have Starbucks, probably stores on 125 selling Ambercrombia and Finch now. Luxury buildings (verticle gated communities) that are majority White. Blacks don't want this bull****. Blacks want homes, land, to be away from the ghetto that has destroyed our people for generations. The gentrification in harlem is trying to attract young naive White professionals and students.

So you support the displacement of poor Blacks? They are not good or wealthy enough so they should get kicked out? A lot of youth in Harlem, a lot of single mothers. Grandparents. Good and bad people. All those original Harlemites are at risk of loosing their homes. This will only create MORE problems within the Black community of NYC. A displaced population that will reside in a new ghetto like the South Bronx, or now the growing North Bronx ghetto.

Decades ago. The White people didn't give a **** about Harlem. The businesses took off. The infrastructure was crumbling. Buildings left abandoned becuase so many vanished. Now their kids want to move into the city becuase they are bored in the burbs and don't know the hardships of inner city life, but with the lack of housing in Midtown they now look to Harlem. Too take over, give the Blacks and Spanish the boot and expand the West and East sides. The ghetto is rough, but it is a place to live for the poor. You do your time and better yourself. You stick with your own for your own protection. Gentrification is a serious problem for the people being gentrified. It is not positive to these people. Only those kicking them out and making money off real estate and new local business that appeals to the gentrifiers.

As for your Red Hook jog. I used to work out in the projects. I'm not dead. That means nothing. **** goes down in Red Hook. It's a boring industrial area people hyped to be "OH MY GOD RED HOOK, LOOK MOVE IN!!!". It has it's share of crime problems as well. Being it's desolite, industrial and the Red Hook PJ's scoop up a ton of land.

The screwed up thing about Harlem though is even if somehow the White population booms and they do take over. The area will still be ghetto. There is so much public housing in Harlem. Not only NYCHA, but SRO's, welfare motels, HUD, HPD, Section 8 and all kinds of programs. It's significant enough to guerentee large stretches will always be ghetto. Especially on the East side and Central Harlem. Another thing is the growing immigrant population calling Harlem a home. Poor immigrants. Mexicans on the east side. Jamaicans and Hatians in central. Dominicans on the west side. More low income housing needed and it's going up. More room for rents and more illegally divided apartments. These people are outnumbering the yuppies by far.

The LES had the benefit of all the pjs being off to the east edge of Manhattan. so the area gentrified minus the housing projects and the streets adjacnt to which are still the ghetto. In Harlem, low income housing is everywhere. From swaths to pockets scattered all over.

Last edited by Hustla718; 08-14-2007 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City