Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times

Advertisements

I think civil disobediance is exactly what this country needs. For a long time I've said that one of the biggest problems our society faces is apathy. When people live in a democracy they need to be aware that public duty comes with their freedom. When they choose to neglect it is when things start to get corrupt, when things start to decay from within.

People have been too passive for too long. For awhile I believe that many tried to take comfort in the thought that if they simply voted a certain way they'd have done their part. I think what we are seeing now is that the fundamentals of our government and financial systems are so flawed that political parties mean little. When voting doesn't bring change, or do any good... the only choice is to take it to the streets.

I sincerely would like to see groups of people down on Wall Street, because that is the exact spot that revolution should begin. I don't think too many people would shed a tear if some corrupt Wall Street CEOs got shot down. It would be refreshing to the average American to instill fear in these criminals, and show them who is really in charge. We have the power if we act collectively for the common good.

However, it seems we've all been trained to fight against each other. We have partisan and regional divides, racial and economic divides. We point the finger at the little guy living on food stamps. All while ignoring the real enemies of this society- and I fully believe they sit at the top of power. They buy and rig elections in their favor. They do everything they can to offshore and hide their assets as to avoid paying taxes. They outsource American jobs for pennies on the dollar all while making onshore workers do the work of three people for less pay.

They do not care about the regular person, nor do they care about this country in any way. They are tyrants who have rigged the system and its laws to their own benefit. It will only continue to get worse until we, as a collective people, finally stop bickering amongst one another. We must stand up together and strip them of their power. It begins on Wall Street, because that is where the pimps are. Washington is second, home of the prostitutes. But it must start in New York.

It can start with the jobless who have nowhere else to turn anyway. Make it a policy that everyone who stays will be fed and looked after, that you must stay and not leave once you arrive. Then, let the numbers swell. Let the people just keep coming and coming until there's a million people flooding the streets. So many people that it would be impossible to silence them.

The sad truth is this will never happen, any of what I said above. It's a dream and nothing more. Because once a mob was assembled of even the slightest significance, authorities would rip it apart for some bullsh*t reason that they spun up out of nowhere.

We live in a police state, make no mistake about it.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 08-10-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I didn't hear of any looting over here during the 2003 black out. Not to say that it didn't happen, but I didn't hear of any. I did however witness the news cover a story that looting occured at a sneaker store in Staten Island, and other random isolated incidents happened as such in different areas. At most, it was nothing widespread.
I dont know where he got that information from, he might have been one of the rioters searching for the latest pair of jordans.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 AM

420 posts, read 805,048 times
The London riots are not about "civil disobedience", they are about a group of THUGS acting like a bunch of idiots. Good article that sums up why these vermin are acting like this:

UK riots 2011: Liberal dogma has spawned a generation of brutalised youths | Mail Online

Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The London riots are not about "civil disobedience", they are about a group of THUGS acting like a bunch of idiots.
...Which is exactly why such a thing could happen here in New York. Thugs of that type will take any opportunity--or use any excuse--offered to them. And if you don't think that would happen here, just crack open a history book and see what went on during the Big Blackout in 1977 (some of us remember that very well!)

Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...Which is exactly why such a thing could happen here in New York. Thugs of that type will take any opportunity--or use any excuse--offered to them. And if you don't think that would happen here, just crack open a history book and see what went on during the Big Blackout in 1977 (some of us remember that very well!)
I agree, and if the conditions are right it can very well happen in nyc

Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
Would never happen. NYC has changed too much. NY is soft compared to cities like Detroit,Chicago,Philly,and London. You don't see whites walking around the hoods of those cities. Theres not enough reactionary types in nyc and the vibe is all wrong.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think civil disobediance is exactly what this country needs. For a long time I've said that one of the biggest problems our society faces is apathy. When people live in a democracy they need to be aware that public duty comes with their freedom. When they choose to neglect it is when things start to get corrupt, when things start to decay from within.
One of my biggest projects has involved attempting to teach people about the responsibility part of citizenship in a democracy. I have not been so successful. People simply do not get it, and most people are incredibly selfish and therefore do not care.

I also agree that by implication, without critical thinking, in a system such as ours, people are turned against those directly above or below themselves on the totem pole. The first person to discuss this ...? Marx, actually.

I am an idealist and realist, still, as another poster said about him/herself also. This creates a hope in me that people, individuals, will make different decisions, better choices. However, it is very difficult to teach an adolescent, raised by his aged grandmother because his mother is out at the nightclubs and his father is, well, who is his father ?, it is very difficult to persuade this child that his decisions and the actions they engender are not protests, but things that are doing him/her in, directly.

These experiences taught me that the most urgent matter here is the problem of single motherhood, people beginning the "family"-building process at age 14 and then bearing subsequent children by different, absent fathers. In Harlem, some of the black national groups and churches tell teenage girls that attempts to encourage birth control are simply the white ruling class working to eradicate the black population ! I heard this sentiment and I could not believe it, the ignorance.

There was a NPR segment about this problem, and the girls admitted that using birth control would be considered an insult to the boy, and so they would not do this. Map onto this the utter acceptance, even encouragement of that predicament and you have the situation we now have.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
I can add also, regarding the possibility of riots in Harlem, the amount of support some people here profess for the leadership of Zimbabwe is disturbing in its ignorance and suggests all kinds of possibilities. Those people have no idea what is going on there, and, ignorance in hand, they could and probably would engage in all sorts of destructive behaviors.

The police ? The police are struggling to control the robberies, assaults, and shootings right now with limited success, really.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,451 times
Angry Yes, it could happen anywhere

The simple answer is yes as most of the riots were obviously copycat incidents.

Just prior to the shooting in London, a police officer had been shot from the direction of the victim, and only the fact the bullet hit his radio prevented him from being a casualty himself. This seems to have slipped from any reports.

The majority of rioters were just out and out thugs, it had nothing to do with poverty, just greed. There are many, many people on benefits in this country who get more, in real terms, than those who go out and work 60, 70, 80 hours a week. And all they have to do is sit on their fat, lazy arses and wait for it to come to them. People are now selling the looted items on ebay and boasting about their heroic "deeds" on social networking sites. Which is another thing. If they`re so bloody poor, how come they all have the latest mobile phones complete with internet access??

This was no protest over the shooting of Mark Duggan. All his family wanted were answers. The rioters just saw it as an excuse.

It`s a shame, in my opinion, that our police force is so restrained. We have this bloody victim culture whereby anyone who commits a crime is handled with kid gloves, while the real victims are left to pick up the pieces and carry on. They should have called in the Army and shot the bleeding lot of them.

So yes, this could happen anywhere. Anywhere there are lazy wasters who see something and want a piece for themselves. Anywhere there are stupid, mindless people who havent got the sense to think for themselves. Anywhere where there is a section of society who want things handed to them rather than go out and work for it themselves.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaner View Post
The simple answer is yes as most of the riots were obviously copycat incidents.

Just prior to the shooting in London, a police officer had been shot from the direction of the victim, and only the fact the bullet hit his radio prevented him from being a casualty himself. This seems to have slipped from any reports.

The majority of rioters were just out and out thugs, it had nothing to do with poverty, just greed. There are many, many people on benefits in this country who get more, in real terms, than those who go out and work 60, 70, 80 hours a week. And all they have to do is sit on their fat, lazy arses and wait for it to come to them. People are now selling the looted items on ebay and boasting about their heroic "deeds" on social networking sites. Which is another thing. If they`re so bloody poor, how come they all have the latest mobile phones complete with internet access??

This was no protest over the shooting of Mark Duggan. All his family wanted were answers. The rioters just saw it as an excuse.

It`s a shame, in my opinion, that our police force is so restrained. We have this bloody victim culture whereby anyone who commits a crime is handled with kid gloves, while the real victims are left to pick up the pieces and carry on. They should have called in the Army and shot the bleeding lot of them.

So yes, this could happen anywhere. Anywhere there are lazy wasters who see something and want a piece for themselves. Anywhere there are stupid, mindless people who havent got the sense to think for themselves. Anywhere where there is a section of society who want things handed to them rather than go out and work for it themselves.
That's why I don't think it could happen in NYC. Because unlike in the UK, in the US we would have shot the looters. Not to be blase with what is happening in your home country, but here it's a little different.

Also, the people on this thread talking about how the forgotten lower class will rise up because there situation is so hopeless and poverty has made them desperate. GIVE ME A BREAK. These looters are not robbing food stores. They are not stealing diapers for their children. They are stealing flat screen TVs. They are stealing designer clothes. They are thugs, useless worthless thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City