Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

I think it is harsh and discriminatory to subject well behaved children to have to go to school with this type of danger and disruption. It can lead to the well behaved child having to change in order to survive the ordeal, or sometimes having to stop school altogether when they get a certain age if the parent cannot get them into a better school.
I am an educator and I completely agree. It may seem harsh, but why sacrifice all of the children ? Which is what happens.

You are right that the charter schools succeed because they do not need to admit everyone. Did you know that this is one of the criticisms of the charter schools ?! I always felt that this was from parents who had not socialized their children well enough, or who had children with problems and did not want to take personal, parental responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:06 PM

233 posts, read 906,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The education is not necessarily better. Indeed, some of the charters are right down there with the publics. Moreover, some charters are not necessarily entirely private.

But the government and tax payers are totally broke, so it makes sense that moving toward privatization is becoming the rule. And I would say again, for some of the so-called schools in the public realm, things could not be worse.
Yep, this is happening all over the US. I don't think people understand how broke we are as a nation. When taxes are increased to cover schools people tend to get upset, however, when teachers are laid off everyone fight on their behalf but don't want their taxes increased to keep teachers employed. I used to be against charter schools because I didn't feel like they were fair, but now with the economy slump I definitely do not want to pay another dime in taxes. So, if some investors believe thay they have a better plan to teach kids, then so be it.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Many good kids in bad neighborhoods are tortured and scared to go to school, and the teachers are there physically but have given up mentally.
The good kids in bad neighborhoods are my special project.
To say they are tortured by their peers is an understatement. Hard to get them to believe that it is just a few years and then they could be in a different world.

Sometimes, too often, they are openly discouraged by their own parents and certainly by siblings.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Because they all suck and are a huge black hole of taxpayer money

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM

93 posts, read 246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What changed? Bloomberg is a mayor who can stand up to teachers union.
The teachers' union, as with most other unions, are run by the Mob. Bloomberg vs Dept of Ed is basically a front for the city government vs the Mob. When Bloomberg closes a traditional HS, he has the school building split into several other smaller schools on each floor. Basically, each floor is a school. This is so the kids can't cut and fool around on different floors, thus hopefully raising attendence statistics. The older, more experienced teachers from the traditional HS get fired even with tenure so that Bloomberg can stick new unexperienced teachers in the classrooms who do not have tenure so they are easily expensible when the education industry is pretty much overpacked. That way, the teachers union don't mean anything and the Mob can't continue shaking the city down or the union members. Bloomberg, being Jewish himself is head of the Jewish syndicate who have have strong connections with the newcomer Russian Mafia. The Russians are at war with the traditional Italians for control of the city's contracts, attempting to take over what had been the longtime rackets of the Mob. I have connections.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
The only connection you have is to conspiracy theory and nonsense. Everything you say is regurgitated rumors from the usual unreliable "sources." Turn off the tv, it is not real.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Maybe Bloomie has a cut in the charter schools. I know since i have really good connections!!!! Like X-files type

Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Because a lot of high schools in Brooklyn are getting bad. My old highschool ( Dewey ) might be shut down.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM

93 posts, read 246,933 times
If Bberg wants to shut down these schools, why dont he literally close them and not just turn it into smaller schools on each floor? If I were him, I would completely destroy all the public HSs in gentrified areas. I would then use that space to sell to property developers, make a killing. I never saw the point of all these kids from the outer boroughs waste hours of their time each day just to go back and forth from schools which are all the exact same no matter where ou go. Might as well stay close where you live.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Wang_Chung the depths of your ignorance knows no bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City