Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,828 times

Advertisements

I thought the OP was asking about Korean Food that won't be so hot as to blow the top of his head off.May I suggest my personal favorite Bi-Bam Bop.Chop Chae and Bulgogi are also excellent.I won't give you an ingredient description here but are all fairly tame spicewise,filling and delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Ive been to korea town but it can be a little intimidating in terms of finding a restaurant. Lots of signs in korean. I went with my wife but id be lying if I said I remembered the name of the restaurant we went to. I do recall it had two floors and special tables where you could bbq the meat yourself if you wanted to. From the little I know of korean food the bbq seems to be the best. Bulgogi is great. I also tried kim chi jigae which is like a spicy stew/soup and that was very tasty.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm looking forward to trying again.

Quote:
from NooYowker: I do recall it had two floors and special tables where you could bbq the meat yourself if you wanted to.
That sounds like the same place I got my "Beef Ala Volcanic Eruption" at. Beautiful two-story place with hotplates to the side of the tables, most in wooden booths. I remember LOTS of red and gold enamel. Not cheap but reasonable for an elegant looking place. I cannot remember the name and have searched for it without success...sort of middle of the block, North side.
But after about 10 years, that doesn't surprise me, maybe it's gone.

Does anyone remember the one place I COULD navigate? It was an all-you-can-eat for $9.95 on the second floor 32nd about 2/3 of the way to Fifth Ave. It was mixed Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese with a HUGE buffet offering. Too good to be true so of course they went out of business 4 or 5 years ago in spite of an always large afternoon crowd. A TERRIFIC value.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-17-2011 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 PM

143 posts, read 298,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm looking forward to trying again.

That sounds like the same place I got my "Beef Ala Volcanic Eruption" at. Beautiful two-story place with hotplates to the side of the tables, most in wooden booths. I remember LOTS of red and gold enamel. Not cheap but reasonable for an elegant looking place. I cannot remember the name and have searched for it without success...sort of middle of the block, North side.
But after about 10 years, that doesn't surprise me, maybe it's gone.

Does anyone remember the one place I COULD navigate? It was an all-you-can-eat for $9.95 on the second floor 32nd about 2/3 of the way to Fifth Ave. It was mixed Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese with a HUGE buffet offering. Too good to be true so of course they went out of business 4 or 5 years ago in spite of an always large afternoon crowd. A TERRIFIC value.
Todai?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM

No, not Todai, which is 6 East 32nd, which is my NEW favorite ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT. (I'm going Monday.)

TODAI changed their name again (they do it every so often) to ICHI UMI but it is the same restaurant and wonderful at $18.95 for Lunch Mon-Thurs. I think $3 more weekends and they throw in some oyters and clams. A lot more at night, but I've never been.

I eat until I can't walk anymore...I should go with BEARERS.
When I met friends there as TODAI about a year ago and found it Closed by Board of health, I panicked but somebody working inside said they only had to replace the cooking hood vents...and 2 weeks later it reopened under the new name.

When I have something to celebrate I do lunch at either ICHI UMI or THE PALM (annother terrific luncheon value.)

That upstairs buffet I loved at $9.95 must have been about 13, 15, or 17 West 32nd?

edit:
Hey, given my lack of knowledge about Korean Food, are there any KOREAN buffets where I can pick and choose from a large selection to educate myself. (I haven't seeen any through the windows???)

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-18-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I do recall it had two floors and special tables where you could bbq the meat yourself if you wanted to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It does sound like you guys might be talking about Kum Gang San.

Kum Gang San

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-18-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks, Mr, Zero.

Though Kum Gang San looks very similar that 49 West 32nd location puts it too far West, in the Radisson on Broadway corner?
Volcanic Beef came from a place that was more mid-block.

But KGS looks like an interesting trial, but pricey as I recall?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
That upstairs buffet I loved at $9.95 must have been about 13, 15, or 17 West 32nd?

I scouted the neighborhood yesterday after a terrific meal at ICHI UMI.
That bargain buffet that is no more was at 9 West 32nd upstairs, now called ARANG...looked closed. I don't remember the old name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City