Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am currently trying to live for a place in NYC to commute to work in Uptown Manhattan Columbia University. I lived in South Jersey and I dont plan to commute form here, since it take more than 2 hours plus unforeseeable traffic and rush hour. I had did some research on where is the best, safe, and affordable to place in NYC. But it is really hard and frustrating. Plus, I am not even familiar with NYC and I dont know anyone that can help and give me information. Some place I came across are relatively "cheap" place but it sound too good to be true. My budget is $900-$1400 for 1 BR apartment. Is that reasonable? My salary is about 35k. I am Asian and 24 year of age. I dont mind quiet place, actually I prefer that than crowed area/noise.

If anyone who live in NYC or had experience can please provide me some detail on where is best place or location to look for apartment and of course I hope there will be near by public transportation since I do need to commute to work.

I had looked into places such as: Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside and Long Island City. Since they seem to be closest to CU. But I want to a confirmation and these neighborhood? Are they safe and easy to commute to work? Any other place recommend in Queens?
I know that Manhattan is the most expensive place to live since it the middle of the city and I rather stay away from that. I dont not mind Queens. Or maybe any safe place in Brooklyn or Bronx ? Thanks for reading and help!!!

Last edited by sweetdreamlz; 08-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM

84 posts, read 277,458 times
Queens is a tough commute to the upper upper upper West side. the Bronx woudl be a better commute but most neighborhoods in the bronx are not as nice/safe as the queens ones you have listed. In those queesn neighborhoods, you can get a 1 bedroomo for about 1200 I think. The bronx would be maybe a bit less and a better commute but the neighborhoods probably will have more crime and fewer amenities.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieNolan View Post
.... The bronx would be maybe a bit less and a better commute but the neighborhoods probably will have more crime and fewer amenities.
That's absurd.The Op can probably find a studio in Riverdale.

Riverdale is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city,has almost no crime to speak of and is on the 1 line which goes directly to Columbia.The commute from Riverdale would be a lot less than anywhere in Queens.

Riverdale is a much nicer neighborhood than Astoria,Sunnyside,Woodside or Long Island City.

Lots of Columbia staff and faculty live in Riverdale for all of the above reasons.

Riverdale is in The Bronx.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
It may be slightly above what you plan on spending, but I would also consider Hudson Heights in Manhattan, which is roughly the part of Wahsington Heights between the Hudson & Bdway and north of 181st st. But with a little hard searching you might pull in a one bdroom here for $1400 and the commute to Columbia would be a snap. And while its in Manhattan its also residential and calm. This part of the city is not hectic.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
I would add Hudson Heights (?), I think it is called. This is an area technically part of Washington Heights, really nice and very quiet on the side streets. I know the "A" is there, the "1" just west I think.

I know someone who just moved there and rented a very nice, large one bedroom, paying something under $1,500.

There are decent stores and restaurants around.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Addendum: There are still one-bedrooms here and there on upper Convent, almost walking distance to Columbia.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,457 times
I'm not sure what people consider a "tough commute," but we live in Astoria and my husband commutes to the UWS for work everyday. He takes the N/Q to 42nd and transfers to the 1/2/3. Takes him about 35 minutes total door to door.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,734 times
call a local Real Estate Agent and have them wall you around and find you a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: