Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 34,313 times

Advertisements

My Mom is coming to visit on Sunday, and I don't know where to take her. I recently moved to the LES. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
What does she like?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
This is why I always recommend guidebooks. Just because you live here doesn't mean that you shouldn't own a few guidebooks.

In any case, it would help if you told us about your mother. We have no idea whether she'd like a museum or a lively bar.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
My mom's favorite place is the Cloisters. It's very accessible art in a cool building that's small enough that she doesn't feel overwhelmed with "needing to see it all." I've taken her to the MoMA and the Met and she just gets tired from all that standing and walking.

My out-of-town family members (even the younger ones) just aren't used to standing and walking the way I am. I think nothing of walking across Central Park, but they find it a major trek. Something to keep in mind.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:23 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
I second the cloisters. My mom also loved walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAsh View Post
My Mom is coming to visit on Sunday, and I don't know where to take her. I recently moved to the LES. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Central Park - do the bike carriage tour

Walk 5th Ave after the Central Park tour - 57 st down to 46st 5 Ave, there lots of sights at this strip. Tiffanys, Trump Towers, St. Patricks Cathedral (maybe sunday mass), Saks 5th Ave, Rockafeller Center.

Times Square - Take some pics and walk down to 34 st while on Broadway.

Herald Square- Macy's, Empire State Building. You can take her to lunch at Heartland Brewery and after lunch you can take the M5 Bus down to Soho.

Soho - Walk the Broadway strip all the way down to Chinatown. At Chinatown, you can take the 6 Train to City Hall.

City Hall - Walk the BK Bridge, relax at the park, go to the World Trade Center site, South Street Seaport, Wall Street, Battery Park, the Bull Statue, take a round-trip ride on the Staten Island ferry while the sunsets.

Take her to dinner at a LES restaurant. I would take her to Buenos Aires.

Give me a rep if you use any of my ideas.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
My mom loved The Highline. It made her feel very hip.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:51 PM

18 posts, read 40,228 times
Default NYC Sailing - Yacht Manhattan

OK, I took my mom a few years back for her birthday. It was a great day to spend in the city on a sunny day. My wife loved it and we've gone back a few times. Most recently to take some family visiting who wanted to see the city, but they never estimated how great it would be from the water to see nyc.
I've done the basic cruise, sunset cruise and architecture cruise. Love them all. Best to finish the day with dinner in the city, refer to Yelp to find a nice place.

New York City Sailing, Boat Tours, and Private Charters on Schooner Adirondack, Yacht Manhattan, and Schooner America 2.0 (NYC, NY)
Check out the 'Yacht Manhattan'

Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 34,313 times
Thanks for the responses! You've all been very helpful! She definitely likes to shop, but she doesn't like do to as much walking as I do. I think taking her along broadway in soho and maybe to chinatown as some of you mentioned would be perfect as it's not too far from my apartment. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,967 times
Well , I think there is a sex museum somewhere around you ...

Just kidding (obviously)

The Museum of Natural History and/or Hayden Panetarium would be fun if you are into that and don't mind spending a couple of bucks.

If you were looking to do something close by you and keep the day under , say $40 , you might want to take her down by the Piers so she can check out the Brooklyn Bridge , get some fresh air , be close to the water. You guys could grab something from a deli or a vendor to eat.

Even better , if she was up for the walk , you could walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn or even just walk up onto it for the view and then come back down.

As for shopping , no suggestions , but it's New York , you can find shopping almost anywhere. There should be a lot of local shopping right around your neighborhood.

Hope you have a great time/day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City