Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 AM

52 posts, read 133,156 times

Advertisements

Also, about the job search. Say I do get an interview. I fly out there and get the job. Right now, I do NOT have the money to make the move, thats why Im budgeting a year out.

Will employers (hotels) pay for you to move out there at times? A friend of mine was flown out to interview, and the hotel he interviewed for was going to put him up in the hotel for about 2 months while he found a place. They offered him 80k and he declined it (very stupid IMO). Is this something that some employers will do or was this just a fluke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Finding a place to live with random roommates is a complete potluck. There's a high probably they'll be crazy or you'll hate them for some reason. You're better off seeing if you can arrange a soft landing through friends or friends of friends. You know what some people do? They crash at a youth hostel for a couple weeks while they shop around for a more permanent living situation. I'd probably never do this, but many people do and have it work out fine for them. Just don't do anything stupid like plunking down big bucks to sign a long-term lease until you're sure you've got a stable job and like living in NY. Many people show up thinking they'll like the big city but end up hating it and leave within a relatively short period of time. Don't contractually obligate yourself in any way.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachela0525 View Post
How are hostels though? Whenever I think of them, I think dirty. But if there is a nice one you'd recommend, I'm all ears. Yes, I am bringing the following:

Full size bed
Futon
2 mini dressers (together its a wide 6 drawer)
TV
Desk, laptop

Those are the big things. Again, if I can get a studio, I will bring all my things. If I get a room, I do have storage options available. I know not to bring my whole life right away if living with someone.
I say don't bring any of that stuff, (well the laptop obviously you need), until you know it's going to work out. 1st of all moving bulky crap like that is mucho expensive...you don't want to have to do it twice if you end up leaving. Secondly, it limits and complicates your options when looking for a place to live.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Also, about the job search. Say I do get an interview. I fly out there and get the job. Right now, I do NOT have the money to make the move, thats why Im budgeting a year out.

Will employers (hotels) pay for you to move out there at times? A friend of mine was flown out to interview, and the hotel he interviewed for was going to put him up in the hotel for about 2 months while he found a place. They offered him 80k and he declined it (very stupid IMO). Is this something that some employers will do or was this just a fluke?

It completely depends on the company. My company, which is a large financial firm, absolutely gives a stipend for relocation and in some cases sponsors temporary corporate housing. Other companies do not offer these benefits.

In terms of good/bad areas to live, there are clearly some bad areas, but the good areas (and there are lots) really depend on where you will be working; ie, preferred commute and budget.

If I were you I would straighten up my resume and start to contact places and see if you can get any interviews.
Are the hotels you have worked at for the past 5 years chains that you could get a transfer through? Or are they small local hotels?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
How are hostels though? Whenever I think of them, I think dirty. But if there is a nice one you'd recommend, I'm all ears. Yes, I am bringing the following:

Full size bed
Futon
2 mini dressers (together its a wide 6 drawer)
TV
Desk, laptop

Those are the big things. Again, if I can get a studio, I will bring all my things. If I get a room, I do have storage options available. I know not to bring my whole life right away if living with someone.
Using a freight forwarder from Kentucky to make a home delivery in NYC is expensive. Unless, you rent a u-haul which will still be a pain. There's a lot of hostels in NYC from luxury hostels to i am broke hostels.

New York City Hostel: Book New York City Hostels with HostelBookers.com

I think doing a test trial in a hostel while securing a job first then an apt. You should send your resume out 1 week in advance from your arrival so you can have interviews lined up.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM

119 posts, read 249,869 times
Don't let the other posters dissuade you. If you have $15,000 in the bank and are willing to live extremely frugally until you get a job, you could last here for a year. And you're young enough to not hate your life while you do it.

If you're really committed to moving here and staying for at least a few years, find a really cheap share in whatever safe neighborhood you can--such shares can be found for $500-600. You'll be in unsexy neighborhoods, probably a distance from the train--but sacrifices have to be made sometimes.

As for areas to stay away from in Astoria--personally I wouldn't live south of 36th Avenue or west of 21st Street. Even on 21st Street is pushing it.

Live in a unsexy but safe neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM

18 posts, read 41,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Don't let the other posters dissuade you. If you have $15,000 in the bank and are willing to live extremely frugally until you get a job, you could last here for a year. And you're young enough to not hate your life while you do it.

If you're really committed to moving here and staying for at least a few years, find a really cheap share in whatever safe neighborhood you can--such shares can be found for $500-600. You'll be in unsexy neighborhoods, probably a distance from the train--but sacrifices have to be made sometimes.

As for areas to stay away from in Astoria--personally I wouldn't live south of 36th Avenue or west of 21st Street. Even on 21st Street is pushing it.

Live in a unsexy but safe neighborhood.
I totally agree. Just go for it. With 15k, you will be ok. It is a lot easier to get a job here once you live here. I would try to go for a sublet or get a room in someones apt. That will usually save you a bit of money, like you might only have to do 1st month and security instead of 1st, last, and security. You could even offer to pay for 3 or 6 months in advance if they are hesitant, bc you have no job. Just bring the essentials until you find a job. Who knows...it might be cheaper to just buy a new bed then ship/move your old one.

Another thing to do is sign up with a temp agency right when you get here. At least you will have some income while you are job hunting. You can usually find pt administrative work and temp agencies are usually flexible when it comes to interviews.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

119 posts, read 249,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop1010 View Post
Another thing to do is sign up with a temp agency right when you get here. At least you will have some income while you are job hunting. You can usually find pt administrative work and temp agencies are usually flexible when it comes to interviews.
I second this. Temp agencies have much less work than they did a few years ago, but they're still a decent way to get at least some income coming in.

And if you get lucky like I did once, a temp gig could turn into a full time gig.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM

147 posts, read 370,358 times
My sister was given $3000 by a university to move for a job. She moved from Seattle to Denver. She is in a very narrow field where there are not many people applying for jobs. In NYC there are dozens (hundreds?) of people applying for each job so I do not know if they are likely to pay for a move when an equally skilled candidate might live 20 minutes from work.

And in terms of free housing... not common. osme universitiies provied housing for faculty and their families. that is the only situation I know of.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Finding a place to live with random roommates is a complete potluck. There's a high probably they'll be crazy or you'll hate them for some reason. You're better off seeing if you can arrange a soft landing through friends or friends of friends. You know what some people do? They crash at a youth hostel for a couple weeks while they shop around for a more permanent living situation. I'd probably never do this, but many people do and have it work out fine for them. Just don't do anything stupid like plunking down big bucks to sign a long-term lease until you're sure you've got a stable job and like living in NY. Many people show up thinking they'll like the big city but end up hating it and leave within a relatively short period of time. Don't contractually obligate yourself in any way.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City