Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM

41 posts, read 190,772 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to Brooklyn Bridge Park on Monday and afterwards driving to Liberty State Park. I have the option of either heading over the Brooklyn Bridge then taking the Holland tunnel or just heading back to the Belt and going over the Verrazano.

I've never driven in midtown before and am very hesitant. I know going around to the Belt is longer but i'm more comfortable with that drive as I've done it tons of times before.

Is there any reason why I should absolutely take the tunnel over the bridge besides distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
First the Holldand Tunnel isn't "midtown". Midtown is in and around 42nd street. The Holland Tunnel has entrances in and around Canal Street (and Hudson St), which is 'downtown'.

Anyway, it w/b most direct to take the MANHATTAN Bridge to Canal Street to the tunnel. The problem with that is the traffic is horrendous on Canal; but for the patient, it w/b difficult to get lost. Frankly, it is difficult to get lost in Manhattan at all, so I'm not sure what your fear is. Driving in the city?

Also, you might find the drive fascinating, as Canal serves as the border between Chinatown and Little Italy. You get a real sense of that part of the city. It is a dense, busy area with lots to look at while driving by. Just don't have an accident while sightseeing!!

Going over the Verrazano is just not sensical, imo. You'd have to travel thru Brooklyn, over the bridge, thru SI, over one of the two bridges connecting to NJ, then thru NJ to the river. Time, money, gas, and for no benefit.

The best and quickest route may be, the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to West St/West Side Hwy (follow signs) to Holland Tunnel. Very simple, very direct, and the way I would go.

JFYI, I believe there is a Ferry to Liberty. If so, then you might enjoy driving to Battery Park City, parking (in a garage) and taking the ferry over.

Enjoy!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Monday might be iffy given IRENE.

But given your fear of Manhattan driving and the location of Liberty State park I'd recommend going with your impulse to go accross the Verrazano, then the Bayonne Bridge and the Turnpike extension on at Exit 14A and off at Exit 14B (Liberty Park.)

Time differential will not be great but I know from much experience that going from the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridges across to the Holland Tunnel can be tediously slow and sometimes grind almost to a standstill.

(I worked near Liberty Park and lived in Cobble Hill for a short period of time...a VERY short period given the torture of the commute.)

Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
Both stink, but the Verrazanno stinks worse then the Holland. Both roads are equally awful once you get across the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City