Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

I've kind of grown tired of Time Warner and their ridiculously high cost for mediocre service. I am moving to an area where Verizon (not FIOS yet) is offered as well as Time Warner. Does anyone have any experience with Verizon DIRECTV and the internet service they provide? Can you compare it with Time Warner and roadrunner? I haven't called yet, but according to the site it looks as if I can get a somewhat decent deal for at least the first year as a new customer.

Thanks for any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
My family has had time warner for 22 years and honestly I can say I've never had a customer service issue. I'm not defending them for anyone who has had bad experience but I see a lot of people with poor experiences so obviously they're not perfect.

One thing that keeps me with Time Warner is the fact they have Sports in HD. I'm not sure if FIOS does. That being said, I've heard good and bad things about FIOS which is the standard operating procedure about companies.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
My family has had time warner for 22 years and honestly I can say I've never had a customer service issue. I'm not defending them for anyone who has had bad experience but I see a lot of people with poor experiences so obviously they're not perfect.

One thing that keeps me with Time Warner is the fact they have Sports in HD. I'm not sure if FIOS does. That being said, I've heard good and bad things about FIOS which is the standard operating procedure about companies.

When I said mediocre service, I was referring to the actual service itself as in the picture. It tends to freeze fairly often. Sometimes the whole damn thing needs to reboot. Sorry, I should have clarified.

And with the Verizon service, it apparently is not FIOS. At least if I am understanding this correctly. If it helps, I am talking about Astoria. From what I can tell, FIOS is not wired for that area yet, but "DIRECTV" is. Please correct me if I am wrong somebody...

Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I am moving to an area where Verizon (not FIOS yet) ...
Your lucky not FIOS yet cause you'll need a second job to pay for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Your lucky not FIOS yet cause you'll need a second job to pay for it.

I tend to believe this...

Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
When I said mediocre service, I was referring to the actual service itself as in the picture. It tends to freeze fairly often. Sometimes the whole damn thing needs to reboot. Sorry, I should have clarified.

And with the Verizon service, it apparently is not FIOS. At least if I am understanding this correctly. If it helps, I am talking about Astoria. From what I can tell, FIOS is not wired for that area yet, but "DIRECTV" is. Please correct me if I am wrong somebody...
I get that from time to time, but usually the rebooting does not take long to complete.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I get that from time to time, but usually the rebooting does not take long to complete.
I have to reboot with TWC at least once a week. And we went through 4 cable boxes in a little over two months because they all just completely stopped working. Not happy with TWC but no better options.

Is FIOS really that expensive? My neighborhood isn't wired yet, at least based on the last time I checked.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Is FIOS really that expensive? My neighborhood isn't wired yet, at least based on the last time I checked.
I'm telling you, neither is the area I am moving to. But check Verizon. They have DIRECTV service. That is what I am asking about...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,215 times
Ok I am not fully sure what you are asking. I have direct tv and love it. It is significantly cheaper than TWC, too, imo, especially if you bundle. Verizon does not have direct tv and direct tv does not have verizon...they work *together* to create a bundle, meaning you can save money on one by bundling the other. I have verizon wireless, and save an additional $5/month on direct tv with the bundle. Is this what you are asking? I never have any problems with direct tv service.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
Ok I am not fully sure what you are asking. I have direct tv and love it. It is significantly cheaper than TWC, too, imo, especially if you bundle. Verizon does not have direct tv and direct tv does not have verizon...they work *together* to create a bundle, meaning you can save money on one by bundling the other. I have verizon wireless, and save an additional $5/month on direct tv with the bundle. Is this what you are asking? I never have any problems with direct tv service.

Yes okay, this is what I'm talking about. Thank you for clarifying for me. So lemme ask you. Have you had TWC? Can you compare the two in terms of reliability? And is do these bundles truly end up being cheaper? Also, how is the internet service they provide? Are you able to compare it to roadrunner?

Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City