Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynello View Post
Also, which neighborhoods? I've heard Park Slope, Bensonhurst, Williamsburg, Boerum Hill, other areas of Brooklyn are good. We don't wanna live in the ghetto either.
All these neighborhoods are good, but they're also all very expensive except for Bensonhurst. You should be able to find deals in BHurst pretty easily. It's more far from Manhattan but still very convient since theres like, 3 train lines that run through that hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
Why do you people care why the OP wants to move? It's really none of your business and your opinion wasn't asked on the matter. NYC exists as it does because people from all over the world move TO it for various reasons. Get used to it or get out. Unless you're an American Indian, you're not an "original" so anyone complaining about transpants should shut the hell up or move to a place where there are no transplants and nobody wants to live. Like Texas.

As far as affordable, you will have to tell us what is affordable to you. That's completely a personal perspective. Maybe how old you are, what is important to you in a neighborhood, etc.
I agree 100%.

BTW why would you wanna leave San Diego? I heard that was a very good city, and probably one of the only few places in California I would want to check out or possibly even live in. Much better then LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 19,378 times
New York City is a city for the rich and the poor. There is not much middle ground left anymore. Which side of the economic scale do you slide?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 PM

241 posts, read 591,664 times
San Diego is probably one of the most livable places in USA. Why are you moving? All 5 of you moving at the same time? That's a little different...

Most of Manhattan (except really really outer part) will be ~1.5-2x the rent in PB / Gaslamp. That may give you a gauge on prices in Manhattan. The further away, the more affordable it is. Anywhere not Manhattan (and even the outer part of Manhattan) will take you 20-30 minutes (quite possibly longer) to anywhere you'd think it's "cool" to go in Manhattan. Coming from SD you may not think it's that bad, and it really isn't. But you also don't know snow (and barely rain)... And somehow because everything is so condensed, anything that's not immediately in your block seems so much farer (compared to places where you jump in your car pretty much no matter where you go and your car takes you how ever far. I know this sounds strange, but it's true. 2 miles is not far with a car. 2 miles in NYC and not in the right place of transit in my opinion is far. I did already mention snow and rain...)

Jersey is cheaper. NYC has city tax, which I believe is 5%. Plus everything in NYC is more expensive. Sales tax is higher, which makes everything higher. Jersey also don't have sales tax on clothes at all, so that's another place where taxes are different.

Now, the most desirable part of Jersey (i.e. closest to Manhattan) is not necessarily that much cheaper than Manhattan. So, by suburbs, how far out are you thinking? That really goes for Brooklyn and Queens. Not in Manhattan does automatically makes it cheaper, but it's not that much cheaper. Distance away from Manhattan is really the determining factor. But with smart planning, there are neighborhood near transit that will take you to Manhattan with relative ease. But how easy it is depends on where you need to go. If you need to be in upper Manhattan, Brooklyn could proves to be a longer commute than other places. Jersey may prove to be counter-productive if your job is in Queens, etc., etc.

Are you bringing a car? That will also change what living situation is realistic to have a place for your car.

Last edited by yee8p; 08-22-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: