Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

I am not defending anything..I am giving the story that nobody tells, or wants to acknowledge. You can easily talk about the abandoned building on the block and say "see things never change" but you would be ignoring the 7 other new or rehabbed home with working class families. That's the story I tell.

I understand that you grew up in poverty, and had very negative experiences. And there is a large contingent of NYers, despite all the hype about luxury condos and positive changes, that continue to suffer, and for them it might as well be 1970 with all the crime and drugs and violence they deal with on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, if you grow up in extreme poverty in NYC or anywhere in the country, the environment is pretty much the same. So while you poo-poo the Southern Bronx because of your negative experiences, there are a growing number of people who are making it their home, happy to be here, and are making things better for everyone.

You can choose to only focus on your negative experiences, and maybe it is therapy for you to say how much you hate it, or maybe its the only revenge you can have for the miserable life you have. I hope one day you can find peace, can move on, and release all the hate you have inside. You won't find happiness until you do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBXGUY View Post
I understand the defense sobro guy makes on behalf of the south bronx , but I think it sends the wrong message to many . The south bronx however is NASTY you hear me NASTY , the physical changes to the area are one thing , but what really needs to change is the makeup of the population . Take away the ghetto mentality then you'll see changes worth speaking of .
It's not just ricans it's smart people who are leaving the area for down south midwest anywhere but here . These are places where you can own homes and LARGE apartments for a hell of a lot cheaper than this trashy place . The ghetto mentality keeps a lot of people here , many grown men who refuse to grow up "nah nah this my hood where I keep it real son ima OG round here" I've seen many people that I have grown up with and around and you can see that their brain stopped maturing at 15 . These are not adults that you would like to have as neighbors . Visiting here is one thing but after an extended period of time one would regret living in the south bronx .
To be honest with my dude the whole entire NYC is a dump, its very dyostopian with dark streets, gritty street corners with hustlers on one corner with cops on another, no wonder NYC attracts Hipsters. THE only racial change that has changed in the South Bronx is around Yankee stadium and Bruckner boulevard and thats that. IF you dont like Dominicans and Mexican and more Blacks moving to the Bronx go to Harlem, East Harlem and Washington Heights and tell Landlords to accept section8 again and stop raising rents on Blacks, Mexicans and Dominicans. I do get what you saying about that hood stuff. People are locked into that hood mentality like if its all they know, I have a friend who says that he is hood and thats how he is and nobody gonna change that. I smh. The hood stuff I dont blame you for leaving the Bronx or NYC for that fact. Everyone regrets about living in the South Bronx but the same could be said for the whole entire city. I dont regret living in the South Bronx, it hardened me and forced me to get an education, better myself, the South Bronx thouoght me to step out of the box and think in ones perspective, and always try to be different and not generic like most ghetto people who drink Hennessey or wear Jordans or saying yo yo yo. I do feel sorry for you xbxguy you seem to be worse then a Waspy Transplant who regrets living in the Boonies for 25 years, and is proud to live in a 2500$ canteen in HIV infested Manhattan with two rommates and a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City