Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,465 times

Advertisements

Making Census Of It: South Bronx Population Rises From The Ashes - NY1.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Very intresting article and video. I live in the South Bronx I have seen alot of changes in the past ten years some good and some bad. As for the demographics I have noticed many Puerto Ricans leaving for greener pastures like the Irish, Italians and Jews before them. Black population remained the same only hovering around city housing pjs in the South Bronx. There has been a huge increase of Mexicans and Dominicans in the South Bronx, I know many of the Dominicans are attracted to the South Bronx cheap rents and section8 compared to Washington Heights. Bronx has affordable except for Mott Haven and melrose. There has been a slight increase in White Yuppies in southern Mott Haven. Also there is more people in poverty in the Bronx, DOminicans, Mexicans and some AAs. IF you passby 161st and melrose avenue and see many Dominican and Black AMerican women waiting for social services from food stamps to medicaid. Many Muslims are also poor and moved into the area aswell. Many Ricans are middle class and wanna live in middle class areas.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-24-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Very intresting article and video. I live in the South Bronx I have seen alot of changes in the past ten years some good and some bad. As for the demographics I have noticed many Puerto Ricans leaving for greener pastures like the Irish, Italians and Jews before them. Black population remained the same only hovering around city housing pjs in the South Bronx. There has been a huge increase of Mexicans and Dominicans in the South Bronx, I know many of the Dominicans are attracted to the South Bronx cheap rents and section8 compared to Washington Heights. Bronx has affordable except for Mott Haven and melrose. There has been a slight increase in White Yuppies in southern Mott Haven. Also there is more people in poverty in the Bronx, DOminicans, Mexicans and some AAs. IF you passby 161st and melrose avenue and see many Dominican and Black AMerican women waiting for social services from food stamps to medicaid. Many Muslims are also poor and moved into the area aswell. Many Ricans are middle class and wanna live in middle class areas.
I just have to ask, are you stating that there are absolutely no more poor Puerto Ricans in the Bronx? All the poor people are from only 3 groups, Dominicans, Mexicans, and AA's? There are absolutely no more poor White people in the Bronx?

I love how it is automatically assumed that if a person is White, they can't be poor.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I just have to ask, are you stating that there are absolutely no more poor Puerto Ricans in the Bronx? All the poor people are from only 3 groups, Dominicans, Mexicans, and AA's? There are absolutely no more poor White people in the Bronx?

I love how it is automatically assumed that if a person is White, they can't be poor.
They are a ton of poor puerto ricans, this was from my observation, that many puertoricans that I knew of how earned a decent income and had two family members working or one person making a good wage have left or moved to other parts of the Bronx. One of my best friends is a poor Puerto Rican he dropped out of high school and the only job he can get is in retail service. I know many poor Puerto Ricans around here but many have left and prospered else where. As for poor whites, lol I know a couple who live down here in Mott Haven. As for being poor im Guyanese American and I'm poor myself, well to a certain extent. But I make 15K more then the average household income of 19,000 in my nieghborhood.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I heard that theres less Blacks in the South Bronx but more middle class blacks moving into areas in the Northeast Bronx.

It also said the Bronx grew the most out of all 5 boroughs.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Many hispanics that were priced out of their Brooklyn neighborhoods due to gentrification have made the Bronx home... This is on top of the rising middle class black population moving to the Bronx and the small but growing poor white hipsters and others moving into the South Bronx...

My point of this statement being that while there has been noted developments especially along the yankee stadium/melrose area, most of the South Bronx remains what it has been and should not be labeled as something it isn't... Rising from the ashes can be applied to the change that happened from the 70s to the 90s... South Bronx definitely wasn't as ugly in the 90s but it remained just as bad... while things are no where near what they used to be... The south bronx remains one of the more crime ridden parts of this city to this day and has had an increase in the homicide rate and felony assaults this year...

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 PM

True indeed many people are being priced out of Washington Heights Dominicans, North and Central Brooklyn, Harlem Blacks and Mexicans and yes some Hipsters. I met many people here in the South Bronx that moved from other parts of the city, the Mexicans I met here from Mott Haven used to live in SPanish Harlem and Dominicans used to live in the Heights but now live across the river. I also met a Black Chick who used to live in Bed Stuy but now lives in the Bronx because of section8. I guess many dont wanna move to the Bronx but are forced too. What I also noticed is many more people speak Spanish and only SPanish and no English among Dominicans and Mexicans and even thouoghs who are born here. Yep homcide rate increased and there are alot of muggings going around. As for ethnic tensions everyone jumps on Mexicans. Dominican gangs fight against Black American and Rican gangs for blocks. As for the Blacks the ones I knew that served in the military eventually left the pjs for mcmansions in the south. Bronx is the last bastion of so called affordable housing in the city, lets see how this playsoff in the next ten years. The only thing that was not mentioned was the flight of the Puerto Ricans in the South Bronx who either moved to PA and FL or to East Bronx sections like Throgs Neck and Morris Park.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
This was not the best article or video..pretty half-a$$ (to put it nicely). How can you go to the community and not feature all the new impressive developments, which is why the South Bronx, Melrose in particular, is top 3 fastest growing areas in the city. These are just a few examples of rental and co-op/condo properties changing the landscape of the Southern Bronx..and all within about 5 blocks of eachother:

Make Northrose your home for superior living in the heart of the Bronx | NORTHROSE - The Residences
Via Verde
St. Ann's Terrace Apartments
The Aurora » Home

Melrose is one of the epicenters of change in the Southern Bronx, with Mott Haven and the Yankee Stadium area right on it's tale. If you think the Southern Bronx isn't changing because it "looks the same" as you drive by on the Bruckner or Deegan, you would be very wrong.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM

95 posts, read 315,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

I know right, considering most of the people who are on welfare as a whole are white.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,113 times
I understand the defense sobro guy makes on behalf of the south bronx , but I think it sends the wrong message to many . The south bronx however is NASTY you hear me NASTY , the physical changes to the area are one thing , but what really needs to change is the makeup of the population . Take away the ghetto mentality then you'll see changes worth speaking of .
It's not just ricans it's smart people who are leaving the area for down south midwest anywhere but here . These are places where you can own homes and LARGE apartments for a hell of a lot cheaper than this trashy place . The ghetto mentality keeps a lot of people here , many grown men who refuse to grow up "nah nah this my hood where I keep it real son ima OG round here" I've seen many people that I have grown up with and around and you can see that their brain stopped maturing at 15 . These are not adults that you would like to have as neighbors . Visiting here is one thing but after an extended period of time one would regret living in the south bronx .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City