Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,426 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple considering moving to the St. George area of Staten Island.

We've been back to the area a few times now and like it a lot, though we have noticed that walking around, there hasn't been very much pedestrian activity (especially at night).

As we are very much used to a 'sidewalk culture,' coming from Brooklyn and Manhattan, we're not sure if that's just part of the 'sleepy small town' vibe we've felt on all of our visits, or whether the lack of activity perhaps has more to do with a concern for safety.

I know safety is a subjective issue; what feels comfortable for one feels forbidding to someone else. Not to mention that NYC is always in flux (the very safe block I live on now was a very different story 15 years ago). That said, I'd like to get a sense of how SI'landers familiar with (or living in) the area feel about this issue. I'm particularly interested in the area around Curtis and McKee HS, from St Marks Ave to Westervelt Ave. The more specific the responses the better, but general impressions are helpful too.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I know that area, and those particular streets very well. What would you like to know?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,624 times
Very subjective, indeed. Some people (most of who are looney) think the area is Vietnam. Most logically-thinking people know that the area isn't flawless (what area is?) but certainly is quite livable. The biggest issue you'll have is the kids at the two high schools you mentioned and the problems related to that. Naturally there's also street crime but not enough that you should cross it off your list. I don't think so anyway.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 PM

393 posts, read 891,283 times
Whoa-oa-oa I just posted this same thing!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Stay away from the schools unless you never plan on being home and/or out and about during recess and dismissal times...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 AM

I guess we've had the disadvantage of visiting the area in summer, when it's hard to get a sense of what living in that cross-section of schools might be like. But is it really more than just general rowdiness, or whatever, on the way to/from the buses and ferry?

We're also looking at the St Paul's Ave/Ward Hill area, which seems very nice, but there are a number of schools there too (albeit younger kids)...We're hoping it's not too big a deal.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:59 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Personally, I won't say anything good about the schools in that whole area. I have a bunch of friends who live a little further in (New Brighton area), and it is beautiful, with really nice, old historic homes. But without knowing the block-to-block specifics of the school zoning, its a risky proposition for someone like me with children. I'm fond of living very far from projects, not just a few blocks away in the "good" area.

The schools mentioned earlier have had shooting incidents and gang fights, sometimes regularly. Not something I recommend living near. At night, the area is fairly dead and there's plenty to do with a few good bars and restaurants. Parking is horrible though almost always. Lots of government buildings in the area that are filled with driving employees. The walk to the ferry is a big plus for anyone who works in the city.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Very subjective, indeed. Some people (most of who are looney) think the area is Vietnam. Most logically-thinking people know that the area isn't flawless (what area is?) but certainly is quite livable. The biggest issue you'll have is the kids at the two high schools you mentioned and the problems related to that. Naturally there's also street crime but not enough that you should cross it off your list. I don't think so anyway.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectus View Post
I guess we've had the disadvantage of visiting the area in summer, when it's hard to get a sense of what living in that cross-section of schools might be like. But is it really more than just general rowdiness, or whatever, on the way to/from the buses and ferry?

We're also looking at the St Paul's Ave/Ward Hill area, which seems very nice, but there are a number of schools there too (albeit younger kids)...We're hoping it's not too big a deal.
Yeah, the Ward Hill area is very good. If you don't have kids, the fact that the zoned schools aren't too good won't be an issue. I can't picture any problems from whatever school you may have seen in the area (there aren't any middle or high schools in the neighborhood, and I don't think the elementary school kids will be much of a problem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Personally, I won't say anything good about the schools in that whole area. I have a bunch of friends who live a little further in (New Brighton area), and it is beautiful, with really nice, old historic homes. But without knowing the block-to-block specifics of the school zoning, its a risky proposition for someone like me with children. I'm fond of living very far from projects, not just a few blocks away in the "good" area.

The schools mentioned earlier have had shooting incidents and gang fights, sometimes regularly. Not something I recommend living near. At night, the area is fairly dead and there's plenty to do with a few good bars and restaurants. Parking is horrible though almost always. Lots of government buildings in the area that are filled with driving employees. The walk to the ferry is a big plus for anyone who works in the city.
Well, the advantage is that transit is good enough that a car might not even be necessary. If they lived there, they would be near a bus to the ferry terminal, and it connects to buses that travel all around SI. St. George is the hub of the SI transit system, so a car isn't completely necessary.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM

We do work in the city, which is part of what led us to the area. But we've been told a car is advisable, for goods and services at the very least. No grocery store in the immediate area as far as I can tell...?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 PM

393 posts, read 891,283 times
the SIR and ferry can take you to shopping. and the SIR is free unless you're getting on or off at St. George or Tompkinsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City