Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:54 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,690,573 times

Advertisements

Timesquare looks like a ghost town from what I heard. Mayor Bloomberg done what he thought was in the best interest for the city's citizens as far is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
If i werent on an ipad i'd load up their webcams to check it out

Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,153,249 times
Times Square Cam - EarthCam

Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM

555 posts, read 1,184,755 times
Just cuz we New Yorkers can go at it 24/7 dont mean a tourist who comes here can haha
Thats why it looks empty

Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM

446 posts, read 998,297 times
A lot of things close pretty early here... I never understood the "never sleeps" part. By 8 pm, seems like most everything besides bars or restaurants are closed.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,842,474 times
Because time square is such a good way to gauge what every other area in the city is doing.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM

62 posts, read 187,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
A lot of things close pretty early here... I never understood the "never sleeps" part. By 8 pm, seems like most everything besides bars or restaurants are closed.
Not really. In my area the corner stores are open up until about 12 and most of the "Chinese" restaurants.

Compared to other cities, most of our stores close pretty late.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM

255 posts, read 476,341 times
Well, if the subway is still running I guess the city isn't asleep now is it?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,419,761 times
As to "THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS" (supposedly):

I am a native New Yorker who hasn't lived in the NYC metro area in over 30 years, though having visited varied times over the years. And I stayed in the NYC area for various months during 2009.

Well, while spending a whole day from mid-afternoon into the wee AM hours (maybe till 3 AM or so) in Manhatttan one day in 2009 (while staying in Long Island), I was taking a walk throughout the East Village / Lower East Side and then through Greenwich Village (to take a walk down memory lane, as I use to live and hang out in these areas many decades ago). Walking from St. Mark's Place (the equivalent of 8th St. in the East Village) to 8th St. in Greenwich Village and going west to 6th Ave. in the late evening, the whole of 8th Street and the area around it was virtually EMPTY of people (i.e., deserted) and nearly all businesses and activities of all types were CLOSED. It was utterly quiet and peaceful there. I was astounded! This had been a historic bustling area that people from all over came to to hang out in, recreate, go window shopping, bar hopping, club hopping, eating out, partying, touristing, making mayhem, etc. etc. etc. . . . and the place was practically deserted. There was one single headshop on 8th St. between MacDougal St. & 6th Ave. that was open and one of its workers was standing outside on the street. I chatted with him for a good while there. I asked why was it so devoid of activity, so still and quiet in this neighborhood (with this historically being a major destination for nightlife in Manhattan and New York City at-large and known throughout the world as the place to be for action in New York City). He said (if I recall properly) that the residents of the greater area (residing in all the apartment buildings and townhouses in the neighborhood) lobbied to have the area shut down and quiet by early evening and to have it enforced. That is, they want peace-and-quiet in their after-work life in their homes living in Greenwich Village.

Well, I said to the headshop employee standing outside his shop: "Well, that is understandable to me, in that I myself like peace-and-quiet as well and have come to value it even more over the years as I get older. Yet what the hell are these people living in the heart of Greenwich Village for (and on a commercial and entertainment strip like 8th Street) and then expecting it to be sedate and quiet like a bucolic remote suburb? That's what the outer boroughs, Long Island, Westchester, and New Jersey are for."

And he agreed with me but he said that it is the law now. I don't recall if this means that businesses of all types are forced to close early there now or if simply that, with noise ordinances being enforced, the businesses didn't think that they could help the situation by remaining open late as they historically have always done in the past.

It was unbelievable. I mean GREENWICH VILLAGE was utterly sedate, quiet and devoid of most people in the evening. WOW!

As well, I walked all around ALPHABET CITY in the East Village (Avenues A, B, C, and D from Houston St. through 8th St.) up through midnight and after midnight and it was so quiet and peaceful (as well as relatively clean and clear of people in the streets). And so many blocks that used to look like a foreboding slum years ago are now all upscale, gentrified, well-maintained, etc. I felt as safe as one can feel walking all over there (even in the middle of the night in the AM hours).

What a change! Just like the OP mentioned about TIMES SQUARE.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Timesquare looks like a ghost town from what I heard.
I have to say this, only because your screen name implies a thirst for knowledge (which is a good thing, by the way)...

Why would you use a phrase like "from what I heard?" Do you often glean knowledge from hearsay? Times Square is one of the most accessible places in the entire city; wouldn't it be better (and a whole lot more informative) if you went there and saw it with your own eyes?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City