Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times

Advertisements

Does anyone go here. I want to be an education major and this school caught my eye. I saw that It was selective and I like the off campus student housing suites. So If you go here can you tell me what you like/ dislike and would you recommend it?

Also Can you recommend other schools in and around NYC that have good education programs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM

107 posts, read 224,054 times
Queens College has one of the best education programs but you need to maintain a 3.0 I believe.

City College of New York specializes in architecture and does have a good education program.

Brooklyn College I hear has a good education program and some other one that's really good. . .I think it was Law?

that's all I really can think of that's good.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
I think among the CUNY colleges, Hunter College is best for education majors. It's also in a better neighborhood of Manhattan.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Having both my BS and my MS from Hunter I would also recommend it. However City's education program is also good. City also has an excellent engineering and computer science program. City is also the only CUNY in Manhattan that has an actual campus. All the buildings are located on one campus setting that is about 1/3 of a mile. It is very quiet and like you are another world from the rest of the neighborhood. It is also very safe walking to and from the public transportation. It may be good for you if you need housing.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM

I don't want to go to queens. That's probably the only one I really have somethin against. Hunter the price is expensive for housing. I was lookig at that school I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but since they don't have housing I read it's 200 a week. Which being a college freshmen amounts to a lot. I've also heard they tend to triple rooms?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

252 posts, read 607,473 times
Hunter on 67 and lexington is the best for education. Queens college is the best for Graduate education. City college is a nice campus, not the best neighborhood and i find that theres a lot of hills and walking from building to building there

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Well I grew up in the city and I am very familiar with it as i still go down all the time. The area doesn't bother me... I was looking at hunter and the dorms are VERY limited. It says 612 people get into on campus housing...

Other alternatives are 220 a week which adds up to 880 a month. Working at minimum wage might not leave me with any money..

Or 700 a month.

It's just not an ideal situation for a college student...

Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
here's the deal

If you want to get into Hunter's housing, you have apply before your even accepted. Med students and athletes get first picks (There are also lots of grad students there as well). The housing is downtown near the medical campus, although I think there might be some housing at the new uptown campus as well. Whether your a college student or not, the situation will never be as ideal as you want it but you can make the best out of it. I worked multiple retail jobs while getting my degree from Hunter (while barely being able to pay rent etc.) , yeah it's hard but you'll benefit from the experience in the long run.

I didn't have to stay at the dorms but I used to hang out there with a few friends and it always depressed me for some reason, but it's a good deal. If you manage to get into the CUNY honor's college you automatically get a dorm room + an unlimited metrocard every month. You gotta work hard though, the competition is much harder/tougher than it was a few years ago due to all of the economic problems.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Can you explain what exactly the CUNY honors college is??

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Can you explain what exactly the CUNY honors college is??
The best source of information is on the CUNY website and the individual college's websites.

We can all give you the pro's and con's of each school, but the bottom line is making the most of the opportunity where ever you go. Some professors teach at multiple CUNY's throughout the semester, teaching the same courses at each of them.

Go where you are most comfortable, and can get the best deal for you. Earn the highest GPA you can, because in the end that is what will count the most. That is what will get you the best jobs, that plus networking, and making the most of your opportunities like anything else.

I know one young teacher that graduated from a well known University in DC and has taught at an elementary school in the south Bronx for the past couple of years.

I know another that graduated from City College and worked at an elementary in UWS for a couple of years, while managing to teach at a well known private school in Riverdale during the summer. The summer job has lead her into a well paying permanent job at the private school after earning her masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City