Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
Some of you should be happy he even bothers speaking Spanish. The last time I checked, English was the official language in the United States.

I hear many Hispanic people on the streets who speak terrible incomprehensible English. I've been into Hispanic owned stores where the staff/owners spoke awful "English" or couldn't speak it at all even though they should, seeing as they live in the english speaking United States of America.

Should I point at them all and laugh?
Thank you! Not sure why people are making fun on the way he speaks Spanish. I can understand what he is saying when he speaks it and that imo is all that matters. Like you said, English is the official language of the USA. The USA and businesses in USA should stop catering to people who do not know the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
George Bush speaks better Spanish than this clown.
Unfortunately George Bush cannot speak ENGLISH!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Proof

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
Thank you! Not sure why people are making fun on the way he speaks Spanish. I can understand what he is saying when he speaks it and that imo is all that matters. Like you said, English is the official language of the USA. The USA and businesses in USA should stop catering to people who do not know the language.
Exactly.

English is a citizen requirement.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Exactly.

English is a citizen requirement.

right!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM

166 posts, read 443,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
The last time I checked, English was the official language in the United States.
Ok, well check again. The United States has NO official language...it can be said English is the de facto language and while there are many states that have adopted English as the official language, NY has still not done so.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
LOL Rep!
George was entertaining in that regard.
You can laugh at Bloomberg, but his Spanish is better than mine. I'm going to work on that!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EvNJWM_NDg[/url]

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
Ok, well check again. The United States has NO official language...it can be said English is the de facto language and while there are many states that have adopted English as the official language, NY has still not done so.
If it is a citizen requirement than it is official.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If it is a citizen requirement than it is official.
"If" is a big word; it implies that you believe it to be true, but cannot prove it. And even if you could prove English as a citizenship requirement, English is still not the official language of the United States; only the de facto. There have been organizations whose goal was to make it official, and if it ever came up on Election Day I certainly would have voted for it, but they've all fizzled out and nobody has ever gotten the proposal onto a ballot.

As our Mayor might say, yo havo problemo?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
"If" is a big word; it implies that you believe it to be true, but cannot prove it. And even if you could prove English as a citizenship requirement, English is still not the official language of the United States; only the de facto. There have been organizations whose goal was to make it official, and if it ever came up on Election Day I certainly would have voted for it, but they've all fizzled out and nobody has ever gotten the proposal onto a ballot.

As our Mayor might say, yo havo problemo?

I agree that there is no ruling proclaiming the US official language as English. However, basic English is absolutely a citizenship requirement and a well known one. No one needs to prove that. But here is a link detailing the requirements if you must:

USCIS - Study for the Test

Speaking Test
Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Reading Test
You must read one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to read in English.

Writing Test
You must write one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to write in English.

Civics Test

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: