Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
He has been studying Spanish for years. I remember reading back in 2003 that he had one of the best Spanish teachers from Colombia (who supposedly have the clearest Spanish) working with him very intensely one-on-one. I mean, it's not like he's using Rosetta Stone. He has access to some of the best language learning resources around.
Learning language well is a talent, like music. Some have it, some do not. I give him credit, knowing how he must sound, and attempting it anyway. It takes a big person to expose himself like that.

I sympathize with him, having not much ability with other languages, either.

Americans(US) are notoriously bad with foreign languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
Thank you! Not sure why people are making fun on the way he speaks Spanish. I can understand what he is saying when he speaks it and that imo is all that matters. Like you said, English is the official language of the USA. The USA and businesses in USA should stop catering to people who do not know the language.
He's not doing it to cater to them: He's doing it to try and connect with them. I'm sure there are fluent Spanish-speakers who feel that "he's one of us" because he speaks Spanish.

And if there is a significant population of people who speak a different language, it isn't exactly "catering to them" to speak to them in their language.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
He's not doing it to cater to them: He's doing it to try and connect with them. I'm sure there are fluent Spanish-speakers who feel that "he's one of us" because he speaks Spanish.

And if there is a significant population of people who speak a different language, it isn't exactly "catering to them" to speak to them in their language.
There are some people who don't speak or hardly comprehend the English language living in NYC and USA as residents. If you're a tourist then it would be ok but not if you're a permanent resident. The USA should make English the official language.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM

68 posts, read 323,472 times
Quote:
There are some people who don't speak or hardly comprehend the English language living in NYC and USA as residents. If you're a tourist then it would be ok but not if you're a permanent resident. The USA should make English the official language.
Regardless what our official language is in the US:

An emergency (especially health, weather, or any other hazard that can impact the population-at-large) should be announced or broadcast in ALL languages for those communities known to be in the area. Even hospitals must comply and provide medical translations accurately to those patients who don't speak English.

Nobody benefits from being left in the dark about essential information affecting safety. I think we can all agree upon that.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
With our Mayor, connecting hasn't got anything to do with language. It has to do with the size of your bank account. Here, look: I'm Jewish, just like Mayor Bloomberg. Do you imagine that I feel some sort of connection with him? You would be wrong if you did, because financially speaking, I'm not within light years of his universe. (I also happen to be a union member, so even if I felt some sort of kinship with him, he certainly doesn't reciprocate!) Most important of all, as far as I'm concerned, I'm a native born New Yorker--and I feel no sort of connection whatever with a carpetbagger Mayor.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiecat View Post
Regardless what our official language is in the US:

An emergency (especially health, weather, or any other hazard that can impact the population-at-large) should be announced or broadcast in ALL languages for those communities known to be in the area. Even hospitals must comply and provide medical translations accurately to those patients who don't speak English.

Nobody benefits from being left in the dark about essential information affecting safety. I think we can all agree upon that.
What happens if no one speaks the language of that person? WIll the hospital be liable for that? If everyone spoke English at a High school level there would not be a need for translations. English should be a mandatory requirement for becoming a US citizen.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:26 AM

68 posts, read 323,472 times
Quote:
What happens if no one speaks the language of that person? WIll the hospital be liable for that?

If everyone spoke English at a High school level there would not be a need for translations. English should be a mandatory requirement for becoming a US citizen.

Hospitals use on-site translators and/or a phone service connected to specially trained bilingual medical translators. Ask any RN or LPN what the liaibility is.

And I agree 100% with you on that citizenship requirement- it makes living in the US a whole lot easier. For everyone all around.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Look at the bitter struggles that sometimes go on in Canada because of the two language situation. I don't know why those in power want that for this country. I think bad situations are things you avoid.

That said, it is nice to be able to speak two languages and because most of us do not have that exposure when we are younger, we have little knack for it - witnesses by our mayor's feable attempt.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:57 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
"If" is a big word; it implies that you believe it to be true, but cannot prove it. And even if you could prove English as a citizenship requirement, English is still not the official language of the United States; only the de facto. There have been organizations whose goal was to make it official, and if it ever came up on Election Day I certainly would have voted for it, but they've all fizzled out and nobody has ever gotten the proposal onto a ballot.

As our Mayor might say, yo havo problemo?
It is a citizenship requirement.

Speaking Spanish caters to Illegals because anchor babies know English and many legal Hispanics know English.

NYC is a sanctuary city and Bloomberg is an advocate for illegals.

English is America's Heritage. Not Spanish

Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM

288 posts, read 566,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

English is America's Heritage. Not Spanish
So you're living in a City formerly named New Amsterdam that has borroughs who have dutch names, with neighborhoods that are marked by different ethnic fabrics in a country that was founded by "illegal immigrants" who almost wiped out the indegenous people and somehow you think that acknowledging the multi-ethnic character of the region we live in is wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: