Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,876 times

Advertisements

DO you think this is crazy to do this? Or you think is a cool thing what he is doing? Such a weird yet interesting adventure I guess.

The NYC Nomad, Living In A Different NYC Neighborhood Every Week

The NYC Nomad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,876 times
If you look at his blog, he is staying away from some of the dangerous neighborhoods. I don't think he will spend a week in East New York for example. Not walking around with all those bags.

But he seem to stay in good neighborhoods and ones that are gentrifying.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
He was in Longwood in the Bronx for one week apperently. I'm surprised he made it through that one week alive living in that hellhole.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Longwood a hell hole? Longwood has 1 of 3 historic districts in the Bronx, and has some great new developments:

"The Melody" Apartments in Bronx, NYC is "Anti-Obesity" | The Demoiselles
(interestingly, it is the only blatantly anti-obesity development in NYC)

Three N.Y. Projects Snag USGBC 2010 LEED For Homes Awards | ENR New York | McGraw-Hill Construction
(one of the 3 NY Projects to receive the US LEED Award)

http://urbanquotient.com/projects/cedars/
(New 55+ housing)

The rankings: 1-10 - This week in New York - Time Out New York
(Rated Top 10 brownstone blocks in all of NYC by Time-Out magazine. #7 to be exact)

But yeah..a hell hole. OK. If you want to talk about Hell-holes, try Philly, Camden and Detroit.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 09-01-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Interesting way to experience NYC and it's people. Some folks do this across countries, called perpetual travel. He is doing it focusing on a specific city. It was a good read. Apparently the breakup spurred him to get some space and try something new.

There is always been something romantic, mysterious and inspiring about just packing some things,and hitting the road to find a new chapter. Those who do this are brave, intelligent and adventurous. Brings Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" to mind.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM

140 posts, read 269,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But yeah..a hell hole. OK. If you want to talk about Hell-holes, try Philly, Camden and Detroit.
Errr, dude, Philly is far from being a hell hole. Having lived in Philly for a few years, I can tell you that it compares favorably to most cities in the US. In fact, Philly's Brownstone neighborhoods resemble Brownstone Brooklyn.

And now back to your scheduled programming

Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Well if this person believes Longwood is a hell hole, he should go to neighborhoods in Philly, Camden, and Detroit to see what a hell hole actually is. This is not to say that all of Philly is a hell hole.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Is the intersection of E 163 Street, Southern Boulevard, and Hunts Point Avenue considered Longwood? If so, then yeah I think it's a hell hole. But I haven't been there since 2005, so I don't know if it's any different there now.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well if this person believes Longwood is a hell hole, he should go to neighborhoods in Philly, Camden, and Detroit to see what a hell hole actually is. This is not to say that all of Philly is a hell hole.
Lol Longwood has a violent crime rate of over 10. Only one neighborhood in the city had a higher rate in 2010, Brownsville. Oh, and no neighborhood in the city had higher assault and robbery rates than Longwood.

What does showing brownstones have to do with anything? I don't get the point of you showing developments in the area. Umm, the only reason there are developments there is because the whole neighborhood was a freaking wasteland back 3 decades ago. They have to built something on those vacant lots, no?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:44 AM

DoomDan, you should probably visit the area instead of doing drive bys on the Bruckner when expressing your opinion. Maybe I should talk about Williamsburg base don my opinion 10 years ago..surely those opinions are still valid right?

As for SuperWario, a couple things:

1-I am showing you developments because a "hell hole" would not have well maintained, historic homes, and massive investment for middle class residents. Nevermind that this community is the pioneer for the green movement across NYC.

2-As for your crime rates, let's clarify a few things. You cannot identify Longwood as having the highest crime anything, as it is not its own precinct, it is one of the neighborhoods of Community Board 2 which includes Hunts Point AND Rikers Island. So while you regurgitate all the stats, remember that they are including an infamous prison in all those murder, robberies, and assaults...so take them with a grain of salt. Secondly, those higher than avg crime rates are themselves 40+ year record lows, as well as compared to record lows for all of NYC. The question is this...is it bad to be the "worst of the best"? And that's exactly the case here....

But it's easier to just spew stats and not bother thinking about much else...most people are unable to think past the superficial headlines and number regurgitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: