U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,438 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend are workings as interns till the end of the year. About a month ago, after having been to see it 3 times, we signed a sublease and paid the deposit for an apartment in Chinatown, the guy we would be renting it from works as a real estate agent in NYC. I believe the place we would be renting is the one he lives in himself, so not one he deals with as an agent. He had just broken out a wall when we went to see the place, he said he'd have the place fixed up by the time we moved in, so something tells me he actually lives there.
About two weeks ago he sent us a text message saying the landlord threatened him with eviction if he were to sublet his place. After a few days the tenant told us that the landlord had definitively started the process of eviction and that he was fighting to keep renting his apartment. He said that in any case the deal was off and it would be best if he'd just return our deposit, through mail or wire transfer. We preferred to deal in cash for practical reasons (we don't have a fixed address as we have to leave the place we're living in right now and are still looking for something else, and a wire transfer to our accouns in Europe would just needlessly drive up the costs imo).
We've set up a few dates to meet in person but he keeps cancelling or postponing them. We have never spoken to him on the phone since we last saw him about a month ago now and the ratio of email/text response is about 10 to 1.
His latest excuse for not seeing us is that he's with his family in Jersey until the weekend, though we absolutely need the money to pay the deposit for a new place in the next few days.
He doesn't seem particularly pressed to solve this problem and we're starting to believe this guy is not serious about wanting to returning our money.
Do you guys have some tips on how to handle this situation?
As I said in the other topic, he works as a real estate agent and he is listed under his real name (I'm pretty sure that it is in fact his real name) on some real estate websites. We were thinking of pressurizing him by threatening to post our story with is name in it to this subreddit, some other NYC-related forums and my girlfriend's blog with his name explicit so when his future clients google his name they'll see he scammed us out of some money. If that doesn't work, we're thinking of starting a small claims lawsuit.
Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,763,425 times
Yikes.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,667,821 times
small claims court perhaps?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,806,008 times
Try your local police department to see if there is anything that they can do. Try to go to his real estate office and harrass him. Call him every hour.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,051 times
Harass the crap out of him. Call his place of work. Call his cell. Make his life miserable until he gives it back.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM

8,747 posts, read 17,627,045 times
I would go to his RE office and talk to his Broker. He is clearly not exercising his fiduciary responsibilities by entering into an illegal sublease, and you can report him to the state. Make it known to the Broker and they will take action, otherwise they can lose their license.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM

14,065 posts, read 13,153,218 times
If I'm reading your post correctly, he has not refused to return your deposit, and it's only been a couple of weeks. So don't over-react. If nothing happens after, say, month, then track down the agency that licenses real estate brokers, and let him know - in writing - that you'll be filing an official complaint unless he forks over.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 AM

24,441 posts, read 34,291,044 times
Does he have your address ANYWHERE where he can mail you a check? You must be SOMEWHERE.

Quote:
We preferred to deal in cash for practical reasons
That is not being reasonable! It's not a drug deal!

If indeed you have a deadbeat on your hands, you can solve the problem only in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: