Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM

314 posts, read 817,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
You're getting less for your money in Ft. Lauderdale than you would in NYC? I find that hard to believe.

1. Have you ever been to NYC?

2. What are your college degrees in? Do you have jobs/job offers in FL?

3. Do you have savings?

4. Are you sure you like urban NYC and not beach/sun/south?

5. Will you mind being far from your family/friends?

With these questions you can start thinking about the pros/cons. If you're serious and motivated, anything can happen. But NYC is very different from FL so you have to be prepared to work hard and be in for a big adjustment. Being sisters you'll have each other's support, but depending on your answers to the questions above, it can be difficult. Good luck!

I meant NYC is expensive! I know I'll be paying a lot more. As for now I live with my parents, ready to venture out in the real world. I have money saved and I am very good at managing it (I am not the type that just spends a couple hundred on makeup/clothes etc) You could say I'm frugal. I wrote that my degrees are in Anthropology/Interdisciplinary Studies: Social Sciences with minors in sociology and spanish. Yeah I have savings. Psshh..I've lived in FL all my life and probably been to the beach a grand total of 20 times haha. No I won't mind being away from family..just my parents but I'll get over it. I'll have my sis. I have family and friends in NYC! I am 23, single..I just need a freakin job! Anything to start at! Not picky (I work at Walmart) :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

166 posts, read 443,780 times
It's great that you're open minded and say you're willing to work anywhere...but trust me when I say this- you will not be able to survive in NYC working retail. Maybe in FL, yes...but in NYC- no.

Your degree is not marketable, but you'll find this out soon enough.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
I meant NYC is expensive! I know I'll be paying a lot more. As for now I live with my parents, ready to venture out in the real world. I have money saved and I am very good at managing it (I am not the type that just spends a couple hundred on makeup/clothes etc) You could say I'm frugal. I wrote that my degrees are in Anthropology/Interdisciplinary Studies: Social Sciences with minors in sociology and spanish. Yeah I have savings. Psshh..I've lived in FL all my life and probably been to the beach a grand total of 20 times haha. No I won't mind being away from family..just my parents but I'll get over it. I'll have my sis. I have family and friends in NYC! I am 23, single..I just need a freakin job! Anything to start at! Not picky (I work at Walmart) :P

Yes, you mentioned your degree, but not your sister's. Is hers similar? Honestly, the degree you have is not particularly marketable. You scoff at my question on savings, but as a new college grad, most don't have much savings since they have been paying for their education. But like I said, if you're driven, you can make it happen. I would recommend trying to line up a job before you come though. It is difficult to get an apartment without proof of income.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 AM

My sister's degree is in communication/media. Thanks for your advice. I am going to look into weekly rentals. People would have many reasons why the rent is weekly.. Maybe people just want to stay for a couple of months..or there are people like my sister and I trying to start out. Once I am looking for whichever job I'll have an address for them.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

60 posts, read 176,833 times
Do you girls have pictures? if you are hot enough you can come stay with me

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

166 posts, read 443,780 times
Quote:
Hey that sounds like a great idea, are people lenient on having two people share a room for a little bit?
In any immigrant heavy area in NY- this is the norm.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
More opportunities? Don't be so sure of that. Why does every transplant look to nyc? Miami is closer and less exspensive.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
More opportunities? Don't be so sure of that. Why does every transplant look to nyc? Miami is closer and less exspensive.

I know it must be annoying to hear from people who don't know **** from shinola about moving to NYC to make it "big". I do not expect anything "luxurious" about living in NYC. I know it's old, dirty etc etc depending where you are but it also has history, character and culture. I feel that it is a place with more opportunity especially with my major. I wouldn't even touch Miami unless I was a hospitality major. There is no comparison between these two very distinct areas. There just isn't.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
I know it must be annoying to hear from people who don't know **** from shinola about moving to NYC to make it "big". I do not expect anything "luxurious" about living in NYC. I know it's old, dirty etc etc depending where you are but it also has history, character and culture. I feel that it is a place with more opportunity especially with my major. I wouldn't even touch Miami unless I was a hospitality major. There is no comparison between these two very distinct areas. There just isn't.

What the heck is shinola???

How often have you visited NYC? Do you have some friends here that could give some tips?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
ybflady13- to answer your question- I'll just tell you what I did when I was living there. I rented a room for $150 a week. I'd honestly suggest you look to BK and Queens first if money is tight. Look on Craigslist. I see things on there all the time around the price I just stated. You and your sister might have to take separate rooms, it just really depends on the landlord. I've seen rooms as cheap as $100 per week but trust me when I say they're in rough areas you don't want to be in, no matter how great the deal sounds. Everything in NYC is priced accordingly for a reason. If you don't believe me come here and find out the hard way. Even at $150 a week you'll most likely still be in a relatively rougher area, and you and your sister will most likely be paying separately. You aren't going to do much better than that. To be honest with you I left NYC within a year. I was the exact same way you were at first. Then I realized my degrees didn't mean jack sh*t there, the COL of living was way too high to have such low QOL, and that I could get much further ahead in the regional local markets... which is what I think some of these posters are trying to allude to with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: