Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 PM

314 posts, read 815,780 times

Advertisements

In 1935 my grandfather jumped a boat from Yugoslavia (Croatia) and sailed to America. Was dropped off in New Orleans then he took a bus to NYC with only a Coca-Cola. Settled in Flushing, Queens. I am not just a "transplant". I'm ready. I'm doing it. This is for you Rudy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM

393 posts, read 890,008 times
That's where I live! Plus I'm almost half Serbian.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,443,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
While I agree that few things are more tiresome than the "YOU DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE IN MY TOWN!!" shtick, the OP seems like she has a lot of lofty and unsubstantiated ideas about what her move will be like, and no apparent plan. I've moved on a whim twice in my life, but the first time was to a small Midwestern city with my husband that we could easily afford to live in with our savings even if finding a job proved difficult. It fortunately did not. My second whimsical move was to a larger and more expensive city that I didn't move to until I'd secured a job and a place to live. A little more planning and security can do her no wrong.
I agree planning can never hurt, but only she will have to deal with consequences if it doesn't work out/lack of planning. I don't like when people ask "Why do you want to move here?" or say things like "After awhile it gets old" etc. I too have said that but not in a devious way OR to revert someone from coming. Let people decide that on their own. Not attacking you just saying in general.

Also she's 23 (a couple of years older than me btw ). . . if we only live once (and if the world ends next year ) go for it! Don't over analyze just do it for the experience, if nothing else. Don't waste your life moping around sad in Florida. Lol, the only way this 'thing' will work is if you stay committed to your purpose. Whatever that may be.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
That's where I live! Plus I'm almost half Serbian.
Cool. Astoria is attracting me because I heard many Yugoslavs live there. Would be nice for someone to pronounce my last name correctly and actually know where it is from!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I agree planning can never hurt, but only she will have to deal with consequences if it doesn't work out/lack of planning. I don't like when people ask "Why do you want to move here?" or say things like "After awhile it gets old" etc. I too have said that but not in a devious way OR to revert someone from coming. Let people decide that on their own. Not attacking you just saying in general.

Also she's 23 (a couple of years older than me btw ). . . if we only live once (and if the world ends next year ) go for it! Don't over analyze just do it for the experience, if nothing else. Don't waste your life moping around sad in Florida. Lol, the only way this 'thing' will work is if you stay committed to your purpose. Whatever that may be.
Thank you studded leather. Keep the name reminds me of rock n roll..

Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
Thank you studded leather. Keep the name reminds me of rock n roll..
Ha! I was thinking so hard about a 'good' username, then I looked over at a jacket I studded. Lol so weird but true.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Ha! I was thinking so hard about a 'good' username, then I looked over at a jacket I studded. Lol so weird but true.
Uh oh I smell a punk rocker

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Uh oh I smell a punk rocker
Rotf! Definitely not.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Rotf! Definitely not.
whatever you are, you're on the high cutting edge of fashion

Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,981,154 times
Quote:
Cool. Astoria is attracting me because I heard many Yugoslavs live there. Would be nice for someone to pronounce my last name correctly and actually know where it is from!
Yugoslavs is a very broad word these days because that country and ethnicity does not exist. Out of yugolavia you have montenegro, kosovo, crotia, slovenia, serbia, macedonia and bosnia. Many of these balkan folks do live in astoria, I really miss the greek italian astoria of yesteryear. I do agree that astoria is a great place for a transplant new to nyc, for one its near manhattan, two behind astoria is lga airport if you ever wanna go back home. 3 astoria has great food and a non boring night life that caters mostly migrants like transplants and forigners like immigrants. Sad to say transplants ruined astoria but at the sametime thier wallets held things up from decay to some extent or degree. I met transplant here in the bronx who used to live in astoria basement of a greek owned house, the greek family sold the house and moved to florida. She evedently moved to the bx. And last the minuim living wage is about 12 dollars an hour for a single person, basic things able to afford, healthcare, gym, leisure transportation rent, food and other cost. For two adults its 16 bucks an hour is the living wage together. I wish you two luck, and please I hope you and your sister are hot and attractive.

Heres a link to living wage calculator.

http://www.livingwage.geog.psu.edu/places/3606151000

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-02-2011 at 01:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: