Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM

814 posts, read 1,146,852 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be passing through NYC this weekend with a few people who have not ever really been to the City before. This all came about fairly whimsically over the past day or two, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to do any serious research, but I figured this would be a good place to ask people who are In The Know:

Given no more than a couple of hours, what's like the one thing to do or see in the Outer Boroughs that would entertain people who are totally new to the City but provide a different flavor than what's in Manhattan. Ideally something that does not cost much, if any money, and is easily accessible by public transit (preferably the subway).

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,309,727 times
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden, The Bronx Zoo, Snug Harbor, a walking tour of Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, The Lefferts Homestead.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,565,355 times
There are a million great things to do in the "Outer" boroughs.

What are your interests?

Art? Food? Performance? Parks? History? Museums? Zoos? Aquariums? Outdoors?

Let us know what kind of person you are, and what you are you looking for, and that can help narrow it down.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM

814 posts, read 1,146,852 times
I guess a good start would be "real" neighborhood settings, namely with interesting architecture and a diverse set of food options. Zoos/aquariums/museums and the like might be difficult due to time/money constraints.

The area around Prospect Park seems interesting, that's a good neighborhood to just wander around in for a little bit and get a bite to eat?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM

5,515 posts, read 8,731,969 times
Park Slope is a very quintessential upscale brownstone nabe and not to be sneered at what with its beautiful architecture and intersting little shops. But for something a little more off the beaen track iwhen it comes to just checking out neighborhoods, why not take the No. 7 train out to marveloulsy diverse Jackson Heights, Queens. Its just about the most polyglot section of NYC there is, with Indians, Colombians, Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Pakistanis, et al, as well as historic district, and numerous restaurants serving the cuisine of all those nationalities. If your firends have ever wondered what the "melting pot" looks like or felt that everything in NYC looks like Manhattan, this should be an eye-opener.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
You might try taking them to Coney Island. Between the amusement district and the Boardwalk, that's about the opposite end of the spectrum from Manhattan.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,309,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Park Slope is a very quintessential upscale brownstone nabe and not to be sneered at what with its beautiful architecture and intersting little shops. But for something a little more off the beaten track when it comes to just checking out neighborhoods, why not take the No. 7 train out to marveloulsy diverse Jackson Heights, Queens. Its just about the most polyglot section of NYC there is, with Indians, Colombians, Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Pakistanis, et al, as well as historic district, and numerous restaurants serving the cuisine of all those nationalities. If your firends have ever wondered what the "melting pot" looks like or felt that everything in NYC looks like Manhattan, this should be an eye-opener.
I'll echo that and add this: if you want some of the best Indian food (outside Delhi, I guess) you'll ever stuff in your face, Jackson Heights is the place. There's a place called Jackson Diner that probably shouldn't be missed.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 PM

393 posts, read 890,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be passing through NYC this weekend with a few people who have not ever really been to the City before. This all came about fairly whimsically over the past day or two, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to do any serious research, but I figured this would be a good place to ask people who are In The Know:

Given no more than a couple of hours, what's like the one thing to do or see in the Outer Boroughs that would entertain people who are totally new to the City but provide a different flavor than what's in Manhattan. Ideally something that does not cost much, if any money, and is easily accessible by public transit (preferably the subway).

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated
The Bronx Zoo comes to mind as the major tourist attraction in the boroughs. Some time in Park Slope (Brooklyn) would be nice, maybe for coffee and a walk or something. It's not a tourist destination, but walking through Forest Hills Gardens (Queens) is amazing, it's one of the most beautiful residential areas I've ever seen. It costs a little more, but take the Long Island Railroad out, their station in Forest Hills is beautiful. My neighborhood, Flushing, has the best Chinese restaurants in the city, in my opinion, you can take the subway out if you want to eat at one. Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge is huge and beautiful, great for a hike or just sitting by the ocean. PS1 Contemporary Art Center in Long Island City (in Queens, just across the river) is awesome if you're into that. The Unisphere (Queens again) is always cool. Just some suggestions!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM

393 posts, read 890,113 times
in case you couldn't tell from the responses on this thread, you could make an entire vacation just out of things to do in brooklyn and queens.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,892,434 times
Brooklyn has just as many things to do as Manhattan, if not, more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City