Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Type in New York and type in Detroit and see which map looks more segregated.
Yo I couldnt even believe it myself when data showed nyc as a segrgated city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,868,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
They did a study that found nyc is the most segregated city in america. Nothing is wrong with aegregation, if indians wanna live amongst indians so be it. If hipsters wanna live amongst hipsters so be it, if poles wanna live amongst poles so be it.
I agree that NYC is very racially segregated but I don't see how it beats Detroit. Detroit itself is the 2nd Blackest City in the Country at around 85%, yet a few miles away you have Livonia, which has a population of about 200,000 and is over 95% White.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,089,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Type in New York and type in Detroit and see which map looks more segregated.
It looks like Detroit is more segregated, at least to me. I mean, there are more areas that are 90+% Black in Detroit than in NYC. Here, there may be some areas where there's very few Whites, but at least most of them have a mixing of races (usually Black and Hispanic, but in some cases, Asian and Hispanic)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,868,057 times
I think thats pretty much the reason why Detroit is so segregated, it's pretty much just Whites & Blacks there, so the level of segregation is very high. In New York, we also have plenty of hispanics and asians, many if not most of who live in a neighborhood predominated by either Whites or Blacks.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 PM

365 posts, read 500,589 times
This area point blank is a West Indian dominated area. My ex lived on both 219th and 226th and Carpenter. We didn't have a problem mainly because we're both West Indians and the area seemed somewhat "home-ish" in the sense that there were people around who's accent and culture were similar to our's. Are there many white people in this neighborhood, no. Is it the safest....it really isn't. I don't know you personally in terms of income and or profession so I can't really say where or which places might interest you, but I will say this, this area may not be your ideal choice. This is all dependant on what you are looking for. Like I said, I enjoyed the neighboorhood and never encoutered any crime or illegal activities firsthand, but that's because I have no business looking for that crap. As a female, of course I deal with the constant cat calls and stares and comments from men, but never once have I been in a situation where I felt threatened. Anywhere you go in this city, will have crime and majority/miniority. As long as you mind your own business and make smart decisions, you'll be ok. But that's just my own opinion.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
On June 30 2010 I lived @ 645 East 227. On that day I came Home at approx' 1:00-2:00 a.m. I encountered two men hiding in my shower. When I went to use the bathroom... The shower curtain flung open and both men commenced to stab me twenty three (23) times. I was rushed to Jacobi medical center where I remained in critical condition for almost two Weeks. Overall its a quiet block (prob'the quietest in the 47pct') yes the neighbors are 90% west Indian & African. I can imagine the area before the current gentrification and can ONLY imagine Life was Better in this neighborhood. I will NEVER consider living here EVER again.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Son 360 View Post
On June 30 2010 I lived @ 645 East 227. On that day I came Home at approx' 1:00-2:00 a.m. I encountered two men hiding in my shower. When I went to use the bathroom... The shower curtain flung open and both men commenced to stab me twenty three (23) times. I was rushed to Jacobi medical center where I remained in critical condition for almost two Weeks. Overall its a quiet block (prob'the quietest in the 47pct') yes the neighbors are 90% west Indian & African. I can imagine the area before the current gentrification and can ONLY imagine Life was Better in this neighborhood. I will NEVER consider living here EVER again.
Damn, did the police catch those guys?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,238,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Son 360 View Post
That's what happens when you allow ghetto people to move into the neighborhood. You get those results. Hope they catched those animals.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 461 times
Yeah dont come over here. Us blacks and hispanics dont want people like the ones calling our neighborhood a very very very black area anyway. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City