Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 AM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times

Advertisements

Thinkin of movin from Queens to Brooklyn, is Brighton Beach a good neighborhood for me to move into? I like the area because of the mosques and the large number of people from Pakistan, India and surrounding area, but is this neighborhood safe and affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
Thinkin of movin from Queens to Brooklyn, is Brighton Beach a good neighborhood for me to move into? I like the area because of the mosques and the large number of people from Pakistan, India and surrounding area, but is this neighborhood safe and affordable?
I always thought of that area to be Russian. It's not too bad, it has it's problems but Coney Island is much worse. Coney Island is the ghetto part, lots of housing projects. Used to be a lot of abandoned buildings and lots, probably less these days.

However, take into account that area will be a memory with the next hurricane. If you want to spend money, as in some place to live for a long time. That's not it.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I always thought of that area to be Russian. It's not too bad, it has it's problems but Coney Island is much worse. Coney Island is the ghetto part, lots of housing projects. Used to be a lot of abandoned buildings and lots, probably less these days.

However, take into account that area will be a memory with the next hurricane. If you want to spend money, as in some place to live for a long time. That's not it.
yeah and i just decided that another reason why i wouldnt wanna live there is because of the distance from manhattan...so time to reconsider

Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 AM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
i don't think any of it should make much of a difference. after all, the FBI academy is in quantico, Va. after that, they can send you anywhere they want. why would you want to buy property in nyc that you won't be living in for long? oh.....that's right; i forgot. you're going to nyu law school. yeah. the commute from brighton to nyu law is probably pretty prohibitive.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM

127 posts, read 521,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
I don't know of any mosques in Brighton, but there is a vibrant community of Indians and Pakistanis along Coney Island Avenue, from around Cortelyou Road all the way to Avenue S or so.

Here is and article of interest: On Brooklyn’s Avenue of Babel, Cultures Entwine

and another: Brooklyn street proves yes, we all can get along - USATODAY.com

I don't live in Brooklyn anymore. One of the few things I miss is Coney Island Avenue. Within a few miles, you can see the world.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 28,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
I don't know of any mosques in Brighton, but there is a vibrant community of Indians and Pakistanis along Coney Island Avenue, from around Cortelyou Road all the way to Avenue S or so.
Also there is a pretty heavy Middle Eastern population in the Kensington Village area. There are still quite a few Hasidic families in certain spots (like East 2nd and East 3rd from Ditmas to 18th Avenue) but when I lived there (from 1997-2005) a lot of folks from the Middle East were moving into the area. I am not sure which country they are from (sorry) but around Church Avenue and McDonald its seems to be a thriving community.

There is also that popular Mosque on Coney Island Avenue near the Newkirk/Foster area that TheSeventhBrady mentioned. It's still quite affordable over there and depending on which street you live on, you can have easy access to the "F" train or the B/Q trains.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i don't think any of it should make much of a difference. after all, the FBI academy is in quantico, Va. after that, they can send you anywhere they want. why would you want to buy property in nyc that you won't be living in for long? oh.....that's right; i forgot. you're going to nyu law school. yeah. the commute from brighton to nyu law is probably pretty prohibitive.

yeah thats why i thought i would reconsider since the commute to manhattan is gonna take forever

Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Doesn't the FBI pay for your housing. I have heard that but I don't know if it is true. After the academy of course.

And your right about the commute. It's a LONG ride.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 AM

they dont pay for housing but they pay most of the transportation fees, but hey whod wanna commute to manhattan from this place anyway even if its mostly paid for right?

Old 08-18-2007, 04:49 PM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
Jesus you people are bad at indentifying irony. this dude isn't getting into the FBI or NYU law school. what is wrong with you? are you delusional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City