Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 PM

9 posts, read 39,466 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the city next month from New Hampshire (21, Caucasian, female, single, fresh out of college) where I have a job as a paralegal awaiting me (Union Square area).

I've been apartment hunting for a while and have come across a great apartment in Harlem but I have some concerns about safety.

It's in the Savoy Park Apartments and my building will be on West 142nd Street and Chisum Place (5th Ave one block to the South, Lenox to the North). I love it because of the short commute downtown, gorgeous views of the river, and it's spacious.

I've been to the building several times during the day and at night. I feel pretty comfortable in the immediate area around it but walking to/from the 145th Street subway station was a little sketchy as things seemed kind of rowdy. Is that station generally safe? Will I be alright walking to/from there during rush hours and occasionally at night?

I'm wondering if I should just seek out other areas. My budget is $1400-$1600
I'm also considering apartments in Washington Heights and Inwood both west of Broadway. I am also open to outer boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 PM

393 posts, read 891,227 times
If you're concerned about safety, I'd head for the outer boroughs. Harlem, Inwood, and Washington Heights are definitely improving and are nowhere near the level of criminality they used to be. However, they still have their problems. It wouldn't be the most awful place to live, but there still is high crime in many parts of that area. If you are concerned with safety on that budget, try some nice neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. For $1400-$1600, you can probably afford Forest Hills, Woodside, Sunset Park, Sunnyside, Kew Gardens, Flushing, Astoria, Bensonhurst, Sheepshead Bay, some of the cheaper areas of Long Island City, and some others... Some might skew a little higher than your budget, but not by much. These are generally safe neighborhoods with decent prices.

Last edited by paddock_laker; 09-04-2011 at 11:36 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 AM

876 posts, read 2,141,572 times
I see so many post from white females wanting to live in these bad black areas. I am wondering where their fathers are and what they think of this dangerous behavior.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 AM

357 posts, read 727,319 times
So,

"sketchy" is the word you people use now?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I see so many post from white females wanting to live in these bad black areas. I am wondering where their fathers are and what they think of this dangerous behavior.
They most certainly don't tell their fathers where they actually live.
I once moved one of these mid western transplants to Bed Stuy
and when I asked her if she was worried about safety and she told
me that the penalty for committing a crime against a white woman is very severe over here so she thinks she will be safe....
I guess that reasoning makes her feel more secure....good luck with that.

What about those white females with tattoos all over them walking past the projects in Brooklyn, maybe that will make them crime proof, lol.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 39,466 times
@blackconverse, what exactly do you mean by 'you people'?

@paddock_laker, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll be sure to look into those other neighborhoods. Thanks again
From my research on here I thought the west of Broadway areas were safer in WaHi/Inwood... Do you think I'd be alright along Fort Washington Ave (found some places in the 160s and 170s) and in the 'Hudson Heights' area?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
1/2 of the posts you are referring to are by trolls just looking to stir the pot up a bit by getting others to make racist comments.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,025 times
First off, when I show that building to potential clients, I always tell them to get off at 135th. That way, you can utilize the 2 and the 3 and you walk by Harlem Hospital. It find that station to be a lot better and more trafficked then 145th (which would basically mean you HAVE to take the 3 if you wanted to get off at 145th). I have put a lot of people in those buildings and they all seem to be happy with the area, especially because of the amenities the building has and the apartments themselves.
Since we are going into winter, safety won't really be a concern (but your opinion of safety and mine may differ). People tend to stay inside and off the streets. This past summer seem to be ok though, I have friends in that building and walked home at 4am and felt fine. But, I feel safer in Harlem than I do downtown, because I know people that have gotten mugged at gunpoint in the Village.
If you are worried about safety, I'd suggest looking at west of Broadway in Ft Washington. There is less "people loitering in front of buildings and on in bodegas" there. That took me a while to get used to, especially when I moved to Brooklyn. In the neighborhood that I grew up in (in the city), it was very rare to see people hanging out in front of their buildings.
If you do decide to go with Savoy, I'd say take cabs home when you are coming home late at night. I live about three avenues over from there and it cost me $20-$25 with tip from around 14th street.

Have you also looked into Astoria? That would give you an easier commute (except on the weekends, the MTA ALWAYS seems to be doing something with the NQR7 trains on the weekend).

Old 09-05-2011, 12:44 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycNewbie1 View Post
I love it because of the short commute downtown,
Will you be working downtown? If so, there are much better areas in Queens and Brooklyn with a better commute as well. All within your budget of $1400-$1600.

Do your research well and aggressively, and don't get hung up on having a Manhattan zip code just for bragging rights. Safety is a relative issue, comfort levels vary from one person to the next. Those areas you mentioned have not made me uncomfortable but then again I'm not in those areas that often. You mentioned that the area felt a little rowdy? That one time does not mean that the area is always rowdy or even bad, but go with your gut and check out the area a few times and at various hours to be sure.

Maybe you can search C-D and find threads from Harlem Newbie. She moved to Harlem in April of 2010 and was so beat down she fled back to Michigan by August of the same year. Possibly, her threads, although very negative, may give you insight in to how things can go bad for some people when they step outside their comfort zone.

Hopefully you're adaptable and street wise. Good Luck.

Last edited by makossa; 09-05-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 12:49 PM

393 posts, read 891,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycNewbie1 View Post
@blackconverse, what exactly do you mean by 'you people'?

@paddock_laker, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll be sure to look into those other neighborhoods. Thanks again
From my research on here I thought the west of Broadway areas were safer in WaHi/Inwood... Do you think I'd be alright along Fort Washington Ave (found some places in the 160s and 170s) and in the 'Hudson Heights' area?
See, the reason people go into places like Harlem is they want an "apartment in Manhattan" but it's as far a commute as Queens and Brooklyn, and you can get better deals on better neighborhoods there. Don't let the name of the borough fool you; you'll a shorter commute (or the same) on safer streets in Brooklyn and Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City