Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times

Advertisements

Always carry a weapon on you. If you don't want to carry an illegal gun, learn how to use a knife. In close quarters a knife is all you need, just learn how to use it and don't aim for places that will cause fatal injury.

It really is a shame that it's so hard to own a firearm out here, or even a stun gun/cattle prod.

be thankful that you have your life, it could have turned out worse.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,616 times
Howdy, y'all! Welcome to Ye Olde City-Data Dodge City, Circa 1842! Don't ferget to check out our whorin' house and the saloon.

Yeeeehaw!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Would NOT have happened here in Nevada.
I don't go to my mailbox without my .40 cal on my side.
NYC does not care for your safety. If they did they'd allow you to be armed.

After 40 years of living in the city, I'm glad I left.
Sorry for your misfortune.
Whatever.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf
2010 City Crime Rate Rankings

76 Las Vegas, NV 97.54
269 New York, NY (14.48)

Includes murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft. A negative score (in parentheses) indicates a
composite crime number below the national rate, a positive number is above the national rate.

Not defending these incidents, but they only seem common here because there are 8.3 million people squeezed in this city. The 110,000 square mile state of Nevada barely has more people than the 110 sq mi borough of Queens. (yes, Queens is 1000x smaller than Nevada)

I won't even get into how nonsensical the notion is that if everyone carried a gun there would be less gun violence. Anyone dumb enough to believe that deserves to live in that desert wasteland called Nevada, where people are sprawled out and hardly interact with anyone on a daily basis.

Last edited by Arxis28; 09-05-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Yup. One only needs to take a glance of the gothamist newsmap to see the impact the parade has on Brooklyn. The areas around Eastern Parkway are very, very active right now.

News Map: Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events
I was at the parade and they had a boat load of cops on EP and the side streets in Crown Heights and YET..we have still had all of these double/triple shootings and stabbings taking place in the same areas...I even seen a gang of about 30-40 cops just standing around Grand Army Plaza. NYPD you suck!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Also as for the more guns = more crime debate...doesn't Canada and Europe have violent crime rates that are much higher as the US? I know knife crime is a HUGE problem in the UK. Many states with "shall-issue" laws have murder rates at or lower than the national average. I'm sure states like Vermont and Alaska are total blood baths.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Canada definitely doesn't have a higher violent crime rate then the US. I heard in some areas out there people still leave their doors open.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM

31 posts, read 70,501 times
Carrying any weapon does not help in such a situation. These guys are usually very quick and attack you in a matter of seconds. My husband and myself were once mugged by knifepoint. The guys were so quick it was surreal. There were 3 or 4 maybe? 2 jumped my husband with a knife at his throat and another pushed me aside trying to grab my handbag. I just screamed and fought back. All within 10-15 seconds? If you had a weapon you would not be able to do anything at that moment in time.

I had a friend who was shot with his own gun during a carjacking about 15 years ago. Sadly, they shot him in his spine and has been in a wheelchair ever since.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 PM

124 posts, read 219,718 times
Why are people so afraid of guns? Law abiding citizens carrying guns should be no problem at all because hey, believe it or not, if you make them illegal the people who wanna use them for bad things will still get their hands on them and use them.

While we're at it let's ban cars, because those can be used as weapons. And knives, and scissors, and baseball bats.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I won't even get into how nonsensical the notion is that if everyone carried a gun there would be less gun violence. Anyone dumb enough to believe that deserves to live in that desert wasteland called Nevada, where people are sprawled out and hardly interact with anyone on a daily basis.
First of all, your opinion of the state of Nevada has NOTHING to do with this debate.
I don't know where you get your facts from---but I challenge you to answer the question I asked the other anti-gun guy:
Suppose you came home and a man had a knife to your wife's throat and you didn't have a gun.
What would you do?
Reason with him?

^^P L E A S E answer that^^

And since your throwing out pointless and useless "facts", allow me to do just the OPPOSITE and throw out some real F A C T S:

Fact: 60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they
knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided
committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.

Fact: Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because
they fear being shot.

The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997: National Institute of Justice, Research Report, July 1985,
Department of Justice

Buckeyefirearms.org

Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
I was robbed numerous times in train stations. One time there was a cop on the train I got on after I was threatened, felt like a moron for not saying anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City