Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

If this was call of duty universe or in other words call of NYC I would have a Bernard Goetz perk! Where is Bernard Goetz when you need him.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedQueen View Post
Carrying any weapon does not help in such a situation. These guys are usually very quick and attack you in a matter of seconds. My husband and myself were once mugged by knifepoint. The guys were so quick it was surreal. There were 3 or 4 maybe? 2 jumped my husband with a knife at his throat and another pushed me aside trying to grab my handbag. I just screamed and fought back. All within 10-15 seconds? If you had a weapon you would not be able to do anything at that moment in time.

I had a friend who was shot with his own gun during a carjacking about 15 years ago. Sadly, they shot him in his spine and has been in a wheelchair ever since.
it all depends... in nyc bad guys dont expect good guys to be armed so in many situations they are un-prepared for the good guy to defend themselves.

in combate training your taught action time is way way faster than reaction time so pulling a gun with some practice can totaly catch the bad guys off guard. you can pull a gun and fire way faster than they can even react to the fact you have a gun.

but bad guys watch you, you dont watch them so there are times if they execute their attck well planned then you cant react to it like the above.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2011 at 03:30 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Questions of gun control is a topic for another thread, as they have nothing to do with the original post or experience. Please stay on-topic or do not respond to this thread. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-06-2011, 02:36 AM

31 posts, read 70,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

but bad guys watch you, you dont watch them so there are times if they execute their attck well planned then you cant react to it like the above.
I have to disagree with that statement. I was watching them and just mentioned to my husband that I think these guys are up to something but before we knew it... they were attacking us. I am always on the look out and watch over my shoulder at all times but I guess we were at the wrong place at the wrong time unfortunately. To the OP, hope you get better. The emotional scarring is the most difficult part when you go through it. There are always so many "what ifs?" that go through your mind.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Canada definitely doesn't have a higher violent crime rate then the US. I heard in some areas out there people still leave their doors open.
Umm..wanna bet

Police-reported crime statistics: Table 1 Police-reported crime for selected offences, Canada,*2010*

Violent Crime - Crime in the United States 2009

Even though one is from 2010 (Canada) and the other is from 2009 (USA - 2010 stats aren't available yet)...Canada has a Violent Crime almost 3 times the amount that the US has. 1,282 per 100k for Canada vs. only 429.4 per 100k for the US. The Property Crime rate is also higher in Canada as well.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedQueen View Post
I have to disagree with that statement. I was watching them and just mentioned to my husband that I think these guys are up to something but before we knew it... they were attacking us. I am always on the look out and watch over my shoulder at all times but I guess we were at the wrong place at the wrong time unfortunately. To the OP, hope you get better. The emotional scarring is the most difficult part when you go through it. There are always so many "what ifs?" that go through your mind.
their attack was well planned and executed ,thats not very typical. more typical is they confront you and demand your stuff even leaving you to go in your pockets and hand it to them.' they may or may not display a weapon.

thats very different from the way they attacked you. overall many,many go down more like a bernie getz style robbery leaving you with action time according to mugging and assualt studies by famed instructor massad ayoob.

to be honest even the knife at the throat routine could have been dealt with but it requires instruction and training. im not saying to do it but with training the option is still there.

one thing being attacked does is make you more aware of what you didnt do or did wrong.

i posted here about a year ago about the fact my wife and i were confronted in alley pond park in queens by someone while we were out photographing .
my wife started screaming as i got into a confrontaion with the guy. she was about 10 feet from me and not once did she even think of dialing 911, a big error.

he turned towards her and i picked up a club from the ground and chased him. afterwards we realized all the fatal flaws we made.

she now has a whistle with her, and wont forget to react by dialing 911. i have my own plan now as well.

as we say in mountain climbing there is no bad weather ,only bad gear.

there is no situation you cant react better to in an attack, only no or bad planning.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...k-warning.html

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2011 at 03:55 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I'm sorry to hear about Ustinov's attack on the subway. I don't like that neighborhood one bit.

(My first thought, like rlrl, was also that Park Place downtown is a very safe station.)

But only the MTA would be so stupid as to have TWO stations called Park Place and two entirely different lines called the S.

I just do not believe the purported statitistics that show Brooklyn safer from violent crime than downtown Manhattan on a per-capita basis.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'm sorry to hear about Ustinov's attack on the subway. I don't like that neighborhood one bit.

(My first thought, like rlrl, was also that Park Place downtown is a very safe station.)

But only the MTA would be so stupid as to have TWO stations called Park Place and two entirely different lines called the S.

I just do not believe the purported statitistics that show Brooklyn safer from violent crime than downtown Manhattan on a per-capita basis.
The statistics don't show " Brooklyn safer from violent crime than downtown Manhattan." The statistics show that the highest per capita subway crime rates occur in midtown Manhattan and that Penn Station has the highest crime rate of any station in the system.23rd St,14th st,2nd ave,86th Lex,42nd st and W 4th st all also have very high crime rates compared to other stations.

Significantly,the statistics cited are not necessarily for "violent " crimes.Robbery and pickpocketing are not necessarily violent crimes.

The statistics also point out that in general,the subways and subway stations are safer than the streets in NYC.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Ding Ding Ding!

The overwhelming majority of people go to the parade to have fun, and there are always a handful there to take advantage of the big crowds (easy to disappear into) and/or semi drunk partiers. It always starts the day before the parade.

I think the thread's already been hijaked though.

To the OP, I'm sorry you had this experience. I hope they catch the robbers and get your stuff back.
We have a BINGO!

The OP had the misfortune of being easy pickings to the dirtbag element which takes advantage of the large groups assembled at events such as this. They know the police are spread thin and kept busy.

I am very sorry the OP endured being assaulted and robbed.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I was at the parade and they had a boat load of cops on EP and the side streets in Crown Heights and YET..we have still had all of these double/triple shootings and stabbings taking place in the same areas...I even seen a gang of about 30-40 cops just standing around Grand Army Plaza. NYPD you suck!
You do realize that they are not capable of seeing into the future to prevent crimes? Their presence is intended to deter crime, but when you have a bunch of mutts with no self control running around firing illegal hand guns, robbing people, molesting women, etc., there is only so much they can do. Couple that with the fact that if, Heaven forbid, an officer of a different race tried to do enforce a law, s/he would be accused of being a racist. The paraders coupled with the mayor's office have created this mess. I have enough friends on the job whose hands have been tied by your PC pandering mayor.

If you don't care for the way NYPD handles things, please feel free not to call on them when you have a crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City