Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Try looking on idealist.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM

241 posts, read 591,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
I put in my CV that I am relocating to NYC and Im willing to travel at my own expense for an interview. In the meantime I am available for a telephone interview..I don't think it should matter where I am. Many people apply out-of-state and relocate!
That's idealistic. Local address absolutely matter. I have not hired in the NY market, but I've hired before. One thing I judge is how likely you'll accept the job and how likely you'll quit in 6 months. If you have a local address, you appear that you'r committed to this location. If you don't, particularly in NYC, employers will wonder why are you applying here. Here's the internal dialogue of a potential employer: Does she know how much things costs and how crazy the city is? Can she survive NYC? Nah, she probably will chicken out and never move. Even if she did, she'll probably crack under the pressure and go back home in 3 months. And this whole thought process will take approximately 5 seconds, after which you're resume will be in the trash pile never to be thought of again.

Calling 2-3 weeks after may or may not help. One, do you have a name and phone number that you could actually call? You can't call up a place and ask for human resources. Then, depends on how long your resume already ended up in the trash pile, they would have no idea who you are. Then, you just annoyed them because you're one of those cold-callers that took up my time. Don't call us, we'll call you is a reasonable approach for employers. However, if you happen to connect the right person, it could definitely pay off. So, it's 50/50. I don't think it'll necessary increase your odds. But if you're willing to put in the efforts, I don't think it'll hurt. The people you'll annoy probably were never going to hire you anyway.

I think you have the right attitude. We now just need to make sure you have the reasonable expectations. Good luck

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

314 posts, read 817,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
That's idealistic. Local address absolutely matter. I have not hired in the NY market, but I've hired before. One thing I judge is how likely you'll accept the job and how likely you'll quit in 6 months. If you have a local address, you appear that you'r committed to this location. If you don't, particularly in NYC, employers will wonder why are you applying here. Here's the internal dialogue of a potential employer: Does she know how much things costs and how crazy the city is? Can she survive NYC? Nah, she probably will chicken out and never move. Even if she did, she'll probably crack under the pressure and go back home in 3 months. And this whole thought process will take approximately 5 seconds, after which you're resume will be in the trash pile never to be thought of again.

Calling 2-3 weeks after may or may not help. One, do you have a name and phone number that you could actually call? You can't call up a place and ask for human resources. Then, depends on how long your resume already ended up in the trash pile, they would have no idea who you are. Then, you just annoyed them because you're one of those cold-callers that took up my time. Don't call us, we'll call you is a reasonable approach for employers. However, if you happen to connect the right person, it could definitely pay off. So, it's 50/50. I don't think it'll necessary increase your odds. But if you're willing to put in the efforts, I don't think it'll hurt. The people you'll annoy probably were never going to hire you anyway.

I think you have the right attitude. We now just need to make sure you have the reasonable expectations. Good luck
Aahh...Thank you for your advice. It means a lot! I understand how an employer might just be turned down because of my current location. However, if I lie and they want me for an interview in 3 days I'll be up the creek. I think it's always better to be truthful and hopefully it will pay off! I've only applied to 4 places and it hasn't been a week yet so we will see what's up. In the meantime I'm still going to apply with my current address.

Thank you Henna for that website, it's very helpful I am finding a lot of stuff on there.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
ybflady13, do you have any family or friends in NYC? Perhaps you can use their mailing address temporarily for recruiting purposes? I wish you luck - you seem very determined to come here. You will be a little fish in a big sea but many before you have made it. Be open minded to different opportunities; you can use one job as a stepping stone to another. But in the end, if you're having trouble finding that job, and you start to think you could start out in retail/food services initially, I would think twice. Definitely try to land a solid job with decent pay before coming. It would help to have a bit of savings too. It is hard to find an apartment without paystub history / W-2s so more of a payment upfront can help.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
ybflady13, do you have any family or friends in NYC? Perhaps you can use their mailing address temporarily for recruiting purposes? I wish you luck - you seem very determined to come here. You will be a little fish in a big sea but many before you have made it. Be open minded to different opportunities; you can use one job as a stepping stone to another. But in the end, if you're having trouble finding that job, and you start to think you could start out in retail/food services initially, I would think twice. Definitely try to land a solid job with decent pay before coming. It would help to have a bit of savings too. It is hard to find an apartment without paystub history / W-2s so more of a payment upfront can help.

Well yeah I could possibly do that, use their address...I am not looking for a great paying job in any way, I expect to even get paid hourly if I get a job there. And I don't mind working retail in the meantime since right now I am employed at a "Walmart" hehe. But yeah I am very determined, I have a few other goals I want to accomplish if I don't get a job right away so time will only tell. And thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Also even if you hide your address, they can tell if your an out of state candidate by the cities you've listed in the "experience" section of the resume.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
When I was unemployed for 3 months, my strategy was to send out my resume everywhere that I'm even slightly qualified for. I figured for every 10 applications, I will get 1 interview, and every 10 interviews, I will get 1 offer. Seems like it did pan out that way. There were many jobs I was well qualified for but never received a call back, and I suspect it's because of the shear amount of resumes each position receives nowadays. Landing a job has a lot to do with who you know and how attractive your resume is. I believe employers only view your resume for 3 seconds until they decide to read further. And if you're lucky enough to land an interview, that's the most important part to impress.

If your former college offers it, have them critique your resume to make sure it's attractive. Following up sounds like a good strategy. With sites like Linkedin and Google, you should be able to find the head of HR or department head fairly easy. I'm sure a determined, professional email to the proper person should help you stand out. Finding a job in NY is easy, it's just finding one with a decent salary that's tough. Since you're willing to do retail, then you're already open to many other opportunities that are ready and available.

As I mentioned, security guard for the Metropolitan Museum of Art is an easy option. Since you speak spanish, visitor center might work out for you. It's important to just get your foot in the door so you can apply internally. I've met many curators and museum directors who started in the gift shop of the museum 20-30 years ago.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
But I'M fierce!
That will help, but so is your competition.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM

282 posts, read 575,493 times
As someone who spent 8 months trying to relocate to another state without a place to live there, I can tell you (and I also worked in HR for 13 years) if you don't live in NYC, they won't give your resume a second glance. Not to be discouraging but it's just a fact. There are too many people looking for work here, they aren't going to hire someone who isn't even here yet.

If you have relatives here, use their address. A friend who was looking for work for over a year here decided to relocate to GA, used a friend's address there and just got hired--she starts in a few weeks.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Wow guys thank you for your input! What I am probably gonna do is build up my resume possibly teach abroad, make myself more marketable, save money and just move out there.. or use one of my relative's address. I know I'll be there someday but thanks guys I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: