Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

This is a funny thread. Before I lived in a building with laundry, I used to only stay in the laundromat for the dry cycle if I had nowhere else nearby to go in that short a time. Always returned before the dryer was scheduled to be done.

One time I was in a laundromat where there were double rows of dryers, with only one area that had a slot for coins. Once you put the coins in, you had to select whether you wanted to pay for the upper dryer or lower dryer. I had put my clothing in the lower dryer but mistakenly selected upper dryer after the coins went in.

The problem was...someone's clothes were already drying in there. I managed to add 45 minutes on to their drying time. If they didn't return when their dryer was originally scheduled to be done, then they probably came back to find very toasty and overly dried clothes.

Now that I am in a building with laundry, I never ever stay for the dry cycle. I don't even stay for the wash. But I still make sure to arrive back before the scheduled end of the washer and dryer because I wouldn't like having anyone move my clothes and also, I don't want to inconvenience the other people waiting to do laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is a funny thread. Before I lived in a building with laundry, I used to only stay in the laundromat for the dry cycle if I had nowhere else nearby to go in that short a time. Always returned before the dryer was scheduled to be done.

One time I was in a laundromat where there were double rows of dryers, with only one area that had a slot for coins. Once you put the coins in, you had to select whether you wanted to pay for the upper dryer or lower dryer. I had put my clothing in the lower dryer but mistakenly selected upper dryer after the coins went in.

The problem was...someone's clothes were already drying in there. I managed to add 45 minutes on to their drying time. If they didn't return when their dryer was originally scheduled to be done, then they probably came back to find very toasty and overly dried clothes.

Now that I am in a building with laundry, I never ever stay for the dry cycle. I don't even stay for the wash. But I still make sure to arrive back before the scheduled end of the washer and dryer because I wouldn't like having anyone move my clothes and also, I don't want to inconvenience the other people waiting to do laundry.

Don't feel bad, I was using 2 washers once, loaded the clothes and put the coins in, unfortuneteley I was in space and put the quarters in both machines, but instead of putting them in number 4 and 5 I put them in 5 & 6, thus making a machine wash with nothing in it....dummie me.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I stay in the laundry room, mainly because I live on the top floor of a high-rise apartment building and the laundry room is in the basement. I just don't like going up and down in the elevator.

Besides, if I stay there in the laundry room, others might come in and I get to watch amusing little shows for free. People sometimes exhibit strange behavior as regards doing laundry. (There's one woman who takes out a bottle of that pre-wash stuff, then meticulously sprays it on each and every piece of her laundry. By the time she actually starts putting the stuff in the wash, my laundry has finished washing and I'm halfway through the dryer. I guess you have to be there...but it's hilarious watching her do the job the machine was designed for!)

Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I stay in the laundry room, mainly because I live on the top floor of a high-rise apartment building and the laundry room is in the basement. I just don't like going up and down in the elevator.

Besides, if I stay there in the laundry room, others might come in and I get to watch amusing little shows for free. People sometimes exhibit strange behavior as regards doing laundry. (There's one woman who takes out a bottle of that pre-wash stuff, then meticulously sprays it on each and every piece of her laundry. By the time she actually starts putting the stuff in the wash, my laundry has finished washing and I'm halfway through the dryer. I guess you have to be there...but it's hilarious watching her do the job the machine was designed for!)

I get that, and it is sooooo true!!!

or like the person that has to turn everything inside out or the other way around, or to sort the clothes.....and your right, by the time they finish, i am done....

mine is already sorted, turned right side and just waiting to go inot the machine......simple.
some people are just not organized.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Default I got one.

Using a washer in my old building..I put the detergent and clothes in. Shut the lid, inserted coins and heard the hum of it going on.

Come back 30 minutes later..It stopped in mid wash, clothes sitting in washer full of water.

Cut to Brooklyn boy kicking the washer, screaming

Old 09-08-2011, 06:05 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
You'll be surprised at some who would steal someone's drawls.

Growing up in Ohio back in the day it was the norm to hang laundry outside on the line. There was a family who lived on the street behind us that was notorious for stealing and getting in trouble. It was a running joke that you'd have to watch your laundry and quickly get them inside as soon as they dried, especially your underwear and it didn't matter the size per this was a large family.

Your clothes are at risk at being stolen especially in the hoods, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. I remember once I was washing clothes and going back and forth from the laundry to my apartment. The last time I remember taking a few wet clothes and detergent etc. back home after putting my clothes in the dryer. When I returned there was a guy with garbage bags asking where his clothes were that had been moved. Now this guy was nowhere in the laundry during the time I was there and while I was there I saw all who were doing their laundry wash, dry, fold and leave with other coming in doing the same and he wasn't any of them. I could only guess he was there to steal someone's clothes and wondered if I was the one targeted since I noticed carting my clothes a group of guys (hoodlums) watching me, and I'm sure they noticed me going in and out the laundry to my apartment 2 blocks away.

Well I no longer have to lug my laundry even that dreaded 2 blocks straining my back. I have a wonderful full sized front load washer in my apartment and I'm loving it. No more having some of my clothes stained because I first overlooked when someone's kid left bubble gum somewhere in their laundry when it dried got stuck in the dryer which has turned a green/black color that the laundry attendant was either too blind or lazy to scrape out and which when heated permeates my always light clothing.

LOL

Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
You'll be surprised at some who would steal someone's drawls.
Don't you have to live in the South for someone to steal your drawl?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Don't you have to live in the South for someone to steal your drawl?

Nope.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
The laundry room is a great place to meet your neighbors.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
The laundry room is a great place to meet your neighbors.

It can be, kinda like a social event......

But, I like to just put my i-pod on and "zone out" for the next 30 minutes, I don't want to talk to any neighbors, especially after a long day at work. I am not interested in them or what they have to say, and I don't gossip, and i could care less........

so I try to go when I know certain people aren't going to be there.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City