Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Some weekend here in NY. Shootings, left and right. A HUGE spike from last year. How do we get this under control? How many women and children shot just sitting in front of their homes? Crazy..

Your thoughts....?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/ny...t-weekend.html
Move the WI parade to Manhattan where mayhem will not be allowed to go unchecked like it is at it's current location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Move the WI parade to Manhattan where mayhem will not be allowed to go unchecked like it is at it's current location.
That is one of the most pie-in-the-sky, unrealistic postings I've ever seen. And considering what gets posted here on C-D, I've just made quite a comment!

Do you honestly think that Manhattan has some kind of magical, mystical aura that will prevent shootings at a parade (or is it that you just take a dim view of anything that happens in any of the other four boroughs?)

Oh, wait...it's because the city will manage things much more strictly in Manhattan, right? Sure--there aren't multiple shootings at the Thanksgiving Day Parade because it's held in Manhattan, not on account of the holiday. If you moved that parade to The Bronx, it would be complete, unadulterated mayhem. Excuse me, my sarcasm alarm has just started ringing insistently.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Because the police would not be instructed to turn a blind eye to drinking and drug use on a parade down 5th Avenue.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
They do it all the time with the St. Fireman's Day debauchery..I mean St. Patrick's Day parade.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That is one of the most pie-in-the-sky, unrealistic postings I've ever seen. And considering what gets posted here on C-D, I've just made quite a comment!

Do you honestly think that Manhattan has some kind of magical, mystical aura that will prevent shootings at a parade (or is it that you just take a dim view of anything that happens in any of the other four boroughs?)

Oh, wait...it's because the city will manage things much more strictly in Manhattan, right? Sure--there aren't multiple shootings at the Thanksgiving Day Parade because it's held in Manhattan, not on account of the holiday. If you moved that parade to The Bronx, it would be complete, unadulterated mayhem. Excuse me, my sarcasm alarm has just started ringing insistently.

I actually agree that if it were in Manhattan it could improve the problem. Namely because when any large event is held in Manhattan, it is better policed and controlled. Since that incident in 2001 with the PR parade and the bad publicity it got--the city sort of has a no tolerence approach to the events in places that are tourist hotspots.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
A hundred thousand drunken rednecks get together every weekend for a NASCAR race and manage not to shoot anyone. WTF is wrong with these people? Do we really need a parade for every group?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I think they are just too dumb to know how to use it.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
I don't know about canceling the parade all together or any for that matter, since they draw people from out of town and are a boon to the businesses in the vicinity. I've gone to the parade several times and this is not a common occurence. WHat I noticed when I went last year was that there were more plainclothes cops than uniformed ones, and they were on the sidewalks where most of the violence were to occur, not on the parade route. It was very effective and they diffused situtions quickly. This time I saw very few cops along the sidewalks and mostly concentrated on the parade routes. Everybody and their mother was on the sidewalks hawking nutcrackers like they were Italian Icies. It was ridiculous and it was out in the open.

@ Shiftymh, in regards to "does every group need a parade" West Indians together are one of the largest groups within the city, we make up over half the black population. So yeah, being that we have a very festive culture and that New York has the largest Caribbean population of any city in the world outside the Caribbean itself, and being the most diverse city in the world period, you're going to have celebrations. Show me any city in the world with a large concentration of different cultures that doesn't do celebrations. But all the stupidity could have been avoided if they used the same tactics as the year before, plainclothes police officers within the crowd. But with this spate of violence I don't blame you for thinking it should be canceled, although I disagree.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post

Generally, the same people who will demand more of a police presence in the neighborhood as a result of this incident will be the same who a few months from now claim police misconduct/harassment.
Yes ... that's how it works in Harlem.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think they are just too dumb to know how to use it.
The alcohol or the guns ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City