U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 PM

19 posts, read 42,756 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the city with my boyfriend. He does software engineer work. I have not been able to find a job. I will be going back to school in the Spring but I was hoping that until then I could find some kind of work. I have had no luck. I registered with temp agencies and I have applied at retail stores. I only have experience in simple office work. I have never done retail or wait tables. I feel like because of my lack of experience no one is willing to hire me. Anyone else having just as much trouble?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM

23,219 posts, read 31,509,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemusic4lyfe View Post
I recently moved to the city with my boyfriend. He does software engineer work. I have not been able to find a job. I will be going back to school in the Spring but I was hoping that until then I could find some kind of work. I have had no luck. I registered with temp agencies and I have applied at retail stores. I only have experience in simple office work. I have never done retail or wait tables. I feel like because of my lack of experience no one is willing to hire me. Anyone else having just as much trouble?

No, but only becasue I am retired. I pity those who are going through this morass of an economy the last 10 years. I can sympathize because I went through Hell in the 1970's.
Be grateful your boyfriend is more secure, at least the rent gets paid.

When economic times get sour you are just as bad off with too little experience as with too MUCH.

I don't think we will see an upturn in the United States. Perhaps a couple illusiory inflationary bubbles, but nothing real.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,008,778 times
Quote:

what do u have a degree in and by going to school, wont that put you in more debt and still give you 0 work experience unless you get an internship?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:03 PM

I am in a bit of a different situation. I am going to be going to a community college. I do not have a degree yet and it will not put me in more debt. I am not in debt now. I just need pretty much any kind of job. It doesn't have to pay a lot and it doesnt have to be this amazing job. My boyfriend and I share our money. He is able to support the two of us but I would like some kind of job to keep me busy until I go to school. But It has been very hard out. I use to live in Albany and I had more luck there.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm curious to know if anyone else is having just as much trouble finding easy jobs in retail or food service.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:11 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,920,074 times
Quote:
I'm curious to know if anyone else is having just as much trouble finding easy jobs in retail or food service.

I think many people are having trouble finding jobs, even low skill ones. And if you are leaving NYC to go back to school (where is the CC?) perhaps people don't want to invest in training someone only to have them leave in a few months (Spring, you mean spring semester, starting in January?). That might be the difficulty. That's where temping might be a better possibility.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM

I also lucked out with retail jobs. I never had to work them because I was always able to find something else. I worked in childcare for about 4 years and then worked with temp agencies for a couple years. I was always able to find something but now I'm not able to find anything.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I think many people are having trouble finding jobs, even low skill ones. And if you are leaving NYC to go back to school (where is the CC?) perhaps people don't want to invest in training someone only to have them leave in a few months (Spring, you mean spring semester, starting in January?). That might be the difficulty. That's where temping might be a better possibility.
I'm not leaving nyc. I just moved here. I will be going to school here.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM

23,219 posts, read 31,509,643 times
With childcare experience, have you considered nannying? The Whitneys and the Vanderbilts always need someone to watch little Throckmorton and Fiona.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:57 PM

15,721 posts, read 10,464,127 times
Quote:
Well, as I understand it, NYC is very very picky about restaurant employees, usually wanting 2-3 years of NYC experience. From people I've talked to, most of them lie on their resume about working in a NYC restaurant just to get their foot in the door. I would never advocate that though, but it seems to be about the only way to get a food service job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City