Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 PM

5 posts, read 14,872 times

Advertisements

Caution:Negativity will be ignored!

Ok,heres the situation.Im a young college student who needs to find a cheap apartment in a safe neighborhood in new york city.(I know crazy right!!!). I cant pay more than 1000 even though thats alot to me.It also has to allow pets.I need to stay alone (no roommates...yet) and I do not mind staying in a really small place(I will literally stay in a hole in a wall).It has to be near a subway and/or bus stop (I dont mind walking a few blocks).The college im transferring to is in manhattan and really want to go to college.Please if you have any links,tips,advice,charities,or anything that would help get me an apartment answer this question.

Last edited by nycdream101; 09-11-2011 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM

241 posts, read 591,710 times
have you already ask your school for help?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
See if the school has student housing available.

Other than that, for 1K, it's going to be difficult to find something in a decent neighborhood. You could easily rent a studio in a nice part Queens for that amount.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Another vote for checking student housing.

Why can't you have a roommate? For $1k you are not going to find much at all, even in Brooklyn/Queens.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
I had a junior 1 bedroom for 940 in Washigton Heights. It was in the rough section, Audubon. The management is pretty good. I just hated the neighborhood. You might be able to find a studio below 1k in Washington Heights and Harlem. I would reconsider a roommate or student housing.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdream101 View Post
Caution:Negativity will be ignored!

Ok,heres the situation.Im a young college student who needs to find a cheap apartment in a safe neighborhood in new york city.(I know crazy right!!!). I cant pay more than 1000 even though thats alot to me.It also has to allow pets.I need to stay alone (no roommates...yet) and I do not mind staying in a really small place(I will literally stay in a hole in a wall).It has to be near a subway and/or bus stop (I dont mind walking a few blocks).The college im transferring to is in manhattan and really want to go to college.Please if you have any links,tips,advice,charities,or anything that would help get me an apartment answer this question.
What kind of pets? It wouldn't be good for a dog/cat to be living in a hole in a wall apartment. Otherwise it's possible to find a place with your requirements but it won't be easy.

Check out this Youtube video.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM

its a small pet

Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM

they dont provide housing

Old 09-11-2011, 07:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
You can probably find an apartment for that in Washington Heights or Harlem. I hate the litter and quality-of-life issues, and I would not say these areas are safe, exactly, but you will find something not-so-bad in those areas.
There are nice but small studios that come up in Hamilton Heights.

The biggest safety issue - shootings, but they are usually shooting at each other.

Look on craigslist, get to know people, you will find something. The smaller realtors tend not to list the very cheap places, but if they like you ...

I know a building where there have been rentals for around $1,050 or $1,100. Kind of two-room studios. That landlord lists on craigslist.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
If you are open to the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island) and don't mind being near a bus and not a subway AND you can pass credit checks and you can prove income 40x the amount of monthly rent, you should have no trouble finding a studio apartment in a safe neighborhood. Not so much in Manhattan.

The 40x rule is that landlords will expect you to be making 40x the amount of monthly rent per year. So if you are renting a $1000/mo apartment, you should be able to prove that you make 40K per year. Many landlords will require this, though there are probably some who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: