Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM

143 posts, read 298,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
i like how you're so high up, but there's still another building the same height, right next to you....I wish there were 2 freedom towers going up

and i wish they looked exactly like the originals.....except maybe slightly modernized
You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same but I understand others would find that traumatizing esp. those who have either lost loved ones that day or they themselves barely escaped. But I really wish there were two of them. Just having one looks lonely. Weird to talk about a bldg that way, but that's how I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

88,553 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSkies View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same but I understand others would find that traumatizing esp. those who have either lost loved ones that day or they themselves barely escaped. But I really wish there were two of them. Just having one looks lonely. Weird to talk about a bldg that way, but that's how I feel.
But it won't be lonely--there will be four towers, in gradually descending heights. Right now only two are rising high--One WTC and Four WTC, but in between them will be Two and Three, which are in the foundation stage.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM

86 posts, read 306,765 times
Don't worry people. One World Trade Center will have an observation deck at the same height the original Twin Towers observation deck were. There just won't be an open air observation deck sadly, and there won't be a restaurant at the upper floors like on the North Tower.

PS Those pictures weren't mines. I just found some nice ones on the Internet. I was born, and I lived underneath the Twin Towers shadow, but I never went there before 9/11.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Don't worry people. One World Trade Center will have an observation deck at the same height the original Twin Towers observation deck were. There just won't be an open air observation deck sadly, and there won't be a restaurant at the upper floors like on the North Tower.

PS Those pictures weren't mines. I just found some nice ones on the Internet. I was born, and I lived underneath the Twin Towers shadow, but I never went there before 9/11.
I worked there for eighteen years before I went to the observation deck. I don't know why--just never got up there. Then I brought my daughter to work one day and took her up there. She's terrified of heights and was scared to death. I also took her to work with me on her tenth birthday--two weeks before the buildings went down. That day, I bought one of those one-time use cameras and took pictures of her all around the inside of my office. I stuck the camera in my backpack and kept forgetting to take it down to Kelly Film in the Concourse to have it developed. I could kick myself for my proscrastination, because that backpack with the camera in it went down with the building. Kelly Film kept their developed pictures waiting for pickup in a lock metal trunk. After the collapses, the owner of the franchise personally went in and retrieved all the photos and tracked down their owners.

I am not afraid of heights, and I hope I will be one of the first on line to take in that view from the new One WTC's obdeck.

I too wish they were going to have a restaurant, but alas, they've decided against it. I'm not 100% sure why. I know an observation deck is more profitable, but still, WOTW did all right. Maybe it has to do with insurance.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,010 times
I worked on the 101st floor (North Tower) at Cantor-Fitzgerald in 1998. The last picture someone posted earlier in this thread -- of the view from someone's seat in the restaurant -- was pretty much the view from my desk. We spent many a fun evening at Windows on the World (The Greatest Bar on Earth), where we would go and drink and swing dance after work at least once a week. That was a beautiful restaurant. I believe they renovated it after the '93 bombing, and reopened a few years before I started there. It was gorgeous, modern, and luxurious.

Boomer Esiason had an office in C-F for a charity he headed, and my department was close by, so I used to see him a lot. He once held the door open for me -- man, he's tall. The general office space for the worker bees was dull beige, full of cubicles, but the small department I was in was a little nicer, being on the corner looking out over Lady Liberty. I was an assistant to a Managing Director - his office was nice, with a French door.

C-F had four floors there, I think. The 105th floor was where C-F had their top-level management's office suites (the CEO, officers, etc.). It was very fancy. Marble floors and lots of original artwork. C-F owned the largest American collection of Rodin sculptures, and several of those pieces were on the 105th floor -- including the huge Three Shades from Rodin's The Gates of Hell. I recall reading that they lost about $5 million worth of Rodin's works alone, and some were rumored to have been pilfered from the rubble.

The Cantors, after all, did endow the Met with a wing, and have donated to many museums, because they had amassed a huge, very valuable collection. I think they had Picassos, Calders, and a Van Gogh or two, in addition to hundreds of others. Their entire executive floor was full of priceless art of all kinds -- paintings, sculptures, photographs -- and from many eras, but mostly European and American, I believe. They called their executive offices a "museum in the sky." It was quite impressive to walk past the Three Shades whenever I had to go to that floor. All that, of course, was lost. There were lots of valuable art in many of the companies housed in the towers - not to mention the public sculptures and the tapestry that hung in Tower 2 which was an original by Joan Miró.

The things I remember most about working in Tower 1 were:
  1. how gigantic the elevators were. Amazing how many people could fit into them. I always felt like I was in a cattle car;

2. how the building swayed. On windy days, elevators went up slower. The towers swayed so much that, on the 101st floor anyway, the ceiling tiles creaked "crick-crack, crick-crack," the door to my boss's office would swing open and shut, and if I didn't close a file cabinet drawer all the way, they would also open and shut to the swaying. If you happened to be visiting a restroom on a windy day, the water went up and down in the toilet bowls as the building swayed;

3. seeing airplanes fly past well below where we were, and watching the boats take people parasailing in the harbor;

4. the fact that we could still hear sirens on the roads below us;

5. that we had mice in the offices that high up;

6. the amazing pink light that filled our corner department at certain times of day. The light would hit the angle of the window casements and reflect it all back into our department, flooding it with a beautiful, magical bright pink glow; and

7. the crazy neckties and friendly, wacky, giving personality of my friend Corey Miller, the Supply Manager, who perished in the attack.

Last edited by citychik; 09-12-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
Were there any live web cams at the WTC site? If so, did any of them manage to record the impact or collapse of the buildings?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
I worked on the 101st floor (North Tower) at Cantor-Fitzgerald in 1998. The last picture someone posted earlier in this thread -- of the view from someone's seat in the restaurant -- was pretty much the view from my desk. We spent many a fun evening at Windows on the World (The Greatest Bar on Earth), where we would go and drink and swing dance after work at least once a week. That was a beautiful restaurant. I believe they renovated it after the '93 bombing, and reopened a few years before I started there. It was gorgeous, modern, and luxurious.

Boomer Esiason had an office in C-F for a charity he headed, and my department was close by, so I used to see him a lot. He once held the door open for me -- man, he's tall. The general office space for the worker bees was dull beige, full of cubicles, but the small department I was in was a little nicer, being on the corner looking out over Lady Liberty. I was an assistant to a Managing Director - his office was nice, with a French door.

C-F had four floors there, I think. The 105th floor was where C-F had their top-level management's office suites (the CEO, officers, etc.). It was very fancy. Marble floors and lots of original artwork. C-F owned the largest American collection of Rodin sculptures, and several of those pieces were on the 105th floor -- including the huge Three Shades from Rodin's The Gates of Hell. I recall reading that they lost about $5 million worth of Rodin's works alone, and some were rumored to have been pilfered from the rubble.

The Cantors, after all, did endow the Met with a wing, and have donated to many museums, because they had amassed a huge, very valuable collection. I think they had Picassos, Calders, and a Van Gogh or two, in addition to hundreds of others. Their entire executive floor was full of priceless art of all kinds -- paintings, sculptures, photographs -- and from many eras, but mostly European and American, I believe. They called their executive offices a "museum in the sky." It was quite impressive to walk past the Three Shades whenever I had to go to that floor. All that, of course, was lost. There were lots of valuable art in many of the companies housed in the towers - not to mention the public sculptures and the tapestry that hung in Tower 2 which was an original by Joan Miró.

The things I remember most about working in Tower 1 were:
  1. how gigantic the elevators were. Amazing how many people could fit into them. I always felt like I was in a cattle car;

2. how the building swayed. On windy days, elevators went up slower. The towers swayed so much that, on the 101st floor anyway, the ceiling tiles creaked "crick-crack, crick-crack," the door to my boss's office would swing open and shut, and if I didn't close a file cabinet drawer all the way, they would also open and shut to the swaying. If you happened to be visiting a restroom on a windy day, the water went up and down in the toilet bowls as the building swayed;

3. seeing airplanes fly past well below where we were, and watching the boats take people parasailing in the harbor;

4. the fact that we could still hear sirens on the roads below us;

5. that we had mice in the offices that high up;

6. the amazing pink light that filled our corner department at certain times of day. The light would hit the angle of the window casements and reflect it all back into our department, flooding it with a beautiful, magical bright pink glow; and

7. the crazy neckties and friendly, wacky, giving personality of my friend Corey Miller, the Supply Manager, who perished in the attack.
Nice post. Thanks for the reminder about the light coming in!

I used to go to Cantor Fitz's cafeteria sometimes. It was nicer than ours, and anyone could buy food there. I still have my DebitTek card from the cafeteria.

I used to have an occasional post-9/11 dream that I was at the salad bar in Cantor's cafeteria with a friend with whom I used to go there, and I would suddenly remember that a plane was coming, and would say to my friend "We have to get out of here" and we'd leave for the elevators. Haven't had that return in a few years now.

It was beautiful up there. You were higher than all the surrounding buildings, and the view was spectacular.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Were there any live web cams at the WTC site? If so, did any of them manage to record the impact or collapse of the buildings?
Not that I know of. Live web cams weren't as prevalent back in 2001, but I'm sure they existed in some places.

There are live web cams on the WTC now, though!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not that I know of. Live web cams weren't as prevalent back in 2001, but I'm sure they existed in some places.

There are live web cams on the WTC now, though!
I remember seeing a few back then in places like beaches. I think Disneyland had one or two. The quality wasn't that great.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,172 times
The only experience I have with WTC is having lunch at a Pizza Hut across the street from one of the towers back in the summer of 99'. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City