Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it a good idea to have benches and eating areas in the street next to the cars & Pollution?
Yes 5 35.71%
No 8 57.14%
Don't know 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
By this logic, it's not a good idea to walk on sidewalks either, since you're breathing in the same air as anyone who might be sitting on a bench. I also have the strange feeling that nobody is actually going to be forced to sit on a bench along Broadway; it will be strictly voluntary. Just like eating a greaseburger containing huge amounts of fat and cholesterol is voluntary. That's not healthful activity, at all--but if you walk into the nearest McDonald's and say so, I doubt you'll be received with all kinds of thanks and praise.

It is certainly heartwarming to know that you're so concerned about everyone else's well-being. But don't start basing your proposals on what might be "dangerous." Flying in airplanes is potentially very dangerous. So is driving in a car, for that matter. Are you thinking about starting threads limiting those activities? What about smoking?
Walking is different from sitting.
Everything thing we do is voluntarily done. But making something for a cause does not make it a good idea.

FYI: Flying in airplanes is not dangerous, its much safer than riding in a car.

Please stick to the topic don't deflect it to smoking or driving activities.

If you want to eat a cheese burger next to cars blowing exhaust thats you. I am just saying its not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I absolutely LOATHE them. They epitomize what I most hate about the Bloomberg administration.

Yes, you're right, first, it's nuts to be sitting in the middle of traffic and car exhaust.

Second, there are some pleasant little parks that already exist, including a nice little one just west of that area.

Third, it's an accident waiting to happen. One day an out-of-control car is going to slam into people there.

Fourth, it make Times Square even more hideous than it already is. This does not make it into some pretty French cafe.

Fifth, they've destroyed bus routes to do it. There is now no bus at all, I think, that runs from the UWS down Broadway into midtown east (as the 104 used to).

Fifth, this was probably quite a lot of money spent at a time when the city isn't exactly flush, to say the least - changing the paths, installing planters, re-routing traffic, re-wiring electricity, not to mention that crappy furniture.

I'm sure there are more points, but that's just off the top of my head.
I totally agree with your points. It looks terrible now. It looked so much better before.

Its also an accident waiting to happen.

NYC does have plenty of parks. Bloomberg could have developed another park on empty land space instead of allowing developers to build more buildings.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
well at least no one is smoking next to me as I eat my lunch on a bench. I just have to worry about the 10 buses and 65 cabs that just passed me, not to mention all the cars......

Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM

288 posts, read 566,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
FYI: Flying in airplanes is not dangerous, its much safer than riding in a car.
Hahaha striking logic. "Airplanes can't be dangerous because statistically riding a car is more dangerous".

I know, right? Playing russian roulette is not dangerous because pointing a bazooka at your own face and playing with the trigger on that one is much much more dangerous.

Rick Perry for president!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
The only area where I'll even come close to siding with our distinguished OP is money. The city cries poverty on an almost daily basis. Shut down hospitals, shut down fire houses, lay off workers. But there's money to put benches on Broadway in midtown Manhattan? Someone's priorities are either screwed up...or totally absent. (And as we all know, the moment you try to blame that someone in charge, he's got his deflector shield up at full power).

Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The only area where I'll even come close to siding with our distinguished OP is money. The city cries poverty on an almost daily basis. Shut down hospitals, shut down fire houses, lay off workers. But there's money to put benches on Broadway in midtown Manhattan? Someone's priorities are either screwed up...or totally absent. (And as we all know, the moment you try to blame that someone in charge, he's got his deflector shield up at full power).

ugh, I know exactly who you mean too !!!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Hahaha striking logic. "Airplanes can't be dangerous because statistically riding a car is more dangerous".

I know, right? Playing russian roulette is not dangerous because pointing a bazooka at your own face and playing with the trigger on that one is much much more dangerous.

Rick Perry for president!
Your point?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Grigou there is not hope for this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: