Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

114 posts, read 253,112 times

Advertisements

I know it's a cliche, but what are some of your "only in NY"-type stories?
For instance, I've got a friend up there who claims to have blazed with James Franco. That's the kind of thing you don't get to do down here in Houston :P

Whether it's random encounters with famous people, a tale about a particular neighborhood during its heyday, a crazy late-night brouhaha, or just a good story in general, I'd like to hear whatever you got
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:24 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
It's not too terribly exciting and he may not be an A List celebrity but I ran into Steve Earle at Matt Umanov guitars on Bleeker street. I walked in and he was sort of standing towards the front of the store and I said hello to him. I actually thought he was some guy working there at first. One of his songs came on their sound system while he was there and one of the sales guy made a joke about it.

I saw a bit of frontier justice when a guy wrapped in tape or saran wrap ran out of a deli and a bunch of guys ran out after him saying something to the effect of "you better not come back and try to steal anything else."

I saw the aftermath of a building facade collapse somewhere around W14th St I believe. It looked like one of those scenes from an old movie with all the furniture still arranged like normal. All that was missing were people going about their business like nothing happened.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
I was celebrating a friend's birthday at Fat Cat on some random weekday evening a few years ago: shooting some pool and playing some ping-pong. It's a pretty laid back place and in the middle of the room they have this little setup for live music... usually local musicians. While we were there, a jazz trio started performing and this time the local musician turned out to be Norah Jones (and this was well after the success of "Come Away With Me").

I'm a little envious that my friend can now claim that he had a 9-time Grammy award winner perform at his birthday party.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM

114 posts, read 253,112 times
I...uh...saw Adrian Peterson at the airport one time :P

Now you see why I like hearing these stories haha. Very nice, keep them coming!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
I saw James Gandolfini raise his fist at this teenage kid for taking his picture.
The kid looked horrified.

I think the Post showed a picture of it the next day.
Easily the meanest celeb I've seen.
....or read about.
Google James Gandolfini Sucks and you'll see.
Horrible human.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
I've seen Conan O'Brien, Spike Lee and Joan Rivers on 5th Ave on separate occasions. Conan was walking to work by himself and Spike was walking home up by 59th and 5th by himself. I was shocked that no one else noticed. I'm not too cool to act like I don't get giddy when I see celebs, especially if I'm a fan, but truthfully, most New Yorkers could care less. Celebs are pretty much left alone here. However, tourists definitely swarm them if someone starts making a scene and draws attention to them.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM

393 posts, read 891,283 times
I've seen Tom Hanks's wife once in Park Slope. I hear she's a fairly common sight though, she's always out and about in that area of Brooklyn.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Well, if we're on the subject of celebrities... I saw Andre Leon Talley waltzing down a deserted sidewalk in a really crazy, majestic suit. It was weird because it was my first visit to NYC and there was no one around, so it seemed really random, especially with his outfit. He's the former editor-at-large of Vogue, stout black man that likes to wear capes, you'd recognize him if you saw him. Anyway, yea. Only in New York.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 PM

125 posts, read 229,062 times
I work at a place where I talk to a lot of rich and some famous people on the phone. Most of them are mean and snotty and bitchy (like what you'd expect) but sometimes you get a nice surprise. I had to call Kate Winslet on New Year's Day and she was incredibly nice. I was soo nervous to talk to her! My co-worker told me that Mike Meyers and Russell Simmons are also very nice. I won't say who the mean ones are.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 PM

125 posts, read 229,062 times
Oh! And my sister got a hook up to see The Lion King on Broadway when it first came out and I almost died when Tom Hanks and his wife and kids sat in front of us with Steven Spielberg and his family. I couldn't concentrate on the show for like the first half hour. People kept whispering around us and there was a bodyguard standing against the wall next to their row of seats the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City