U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

105 posts, read 292,494 times

Advertisements

It turns out I have extremely noisy Santeria neighbors. (I just moved to BK about 9 months ago.) They "worship" all day Saturdays and Sundays. It's ridiculously loud: there are goats and chickens wailing (Let's just say, I don't think they make it through the service), the chanting is not exactly the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and the drumming goes on all day. At first, I wrote it off as colorful, untill i realized that they do it ALL DAY LONG, ALL WEEKEND LONG. I called 311 to get information, and it turns out police will not respond to complaints on "Houses of Worship" during a "service" regardless of how long and how loud the "services" are. I will never be able to use my back yard on the weekends. I can't believe it. Am I stuck? I fear I am...

Last edited by tkak69; 09-12-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 AM

8,750 posts, read 16,591,670 times
Not true..what you need to do is get a few loud speakers and aim it at the church. So long as they are ranting and wailing, you should be blasting Marilyn Manson. And if the cops show up about the noise, you can tell them you are the one who called about the "church services" noise....and clearly there was a mistake.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 29,901,172 times
Is it an ACTUAL house of worship or just somebody's house?

Do they stop at 10 PM or go on longer than that?

Are barnyard animals allowed to be kept in Brooklyn residential neighborhoods?

If you keep complaining they might put a curse on you.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM

322 posts, read 632,655 times
Where is this?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,752,999 times
I think its a lot harder to lodge a noise complaint against anyone on a weekend prior to 10pm. I'm really sorry you have deal with barbarians who slaughter animals in a ritual but as another poster said--if its a house then you may be able to stop it based upon the fact that its not legal to keep those types of animals in the city.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM

3,693 posts, read 6,266,630 times
311 and the police no longer respond to noise complaints. sucks.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 PM

105 posts, read 292,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is it an ACTUAL house of worship or just somebody's house?

Do they stop at 10 PM or go on longer than that?

Are barnyard animals allowed to be kept in Brooklyn residential neighborhoods?

If you keep complaining they might put a curse on you.
This is Bushwick. The "church" is in a commercial store front. I looked up the address and it's registered as a tile store. They stop about 9pm, which is good (except they start at10am) . I don't know where they get the energy.

I've definitely fantasized about retaliating with loud speakers, but I really don't want to get into to a feud, or risk the accompanying curses.

Last edited by tkak69; 09-12-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
This is Bushwick. The "church" is in a commercial store front. I looked up the address and it's registered as a tile store. They stop about 9pm, which is good (except they start at10am) . I don't know where they get the energy.

I've definitely fantasized about retaliating with loud speakers, but I really don't want to get into to a feud, or suffer the accompanying curses.
Sounds like a "no win" situation.

If it were me, I would move away from there. It can only get worse if they start using their house of worship on other days of the week too. What if they start having "bible" (or _____ insert name of Santeria holy book) study during the week like so many churches do?

What really cracks me up about these religions that put an emphasis on magic and witchcraft is the vast majority of the practitioners are dirt poor losers and remain that way for their entire lives. Yeah sure pal, it works! Take a look at the impoverished and disaster-stricken country of Haiti, home of voodoo. If their witchcraft and spells worked, would they be so wretchedly poor and disenfranchised? These people should really wake up and take a look at reality. Their disturbing the peace performing these magic rituals does absolutely nothing for them except waste their time and energy and annoy the "non-believers" around them who have to suffer the noise.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM

144 posts, read 243,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sounds like a "no win" situation.

If it were me, I would move away from there. It can only get worse if they start using their house of worship on other days of the week too. What if they start having "bible" (or _____ insert name of Santeria holy book) study during the week like so many churches do?

What really cracks me up about these religions that put an emphasis on magic and witchcraft is the vast majority of the practitioners are dirt poor losers and remain that way for their entire lives. Yeah sure pal, it works! Take a look at the impoverished and disaster-stricken country of Haiti, home of voodoo. If their witchcraft and spells worked, would they be so wretchedly poor and disenfranchised? These people should really wake up and take a look at reality. Their disturbing the peace performing these magic rituals does absolutely nothing for them except waste their time and energy and annoy the "non-believers" around them who have to suffer the noise.
I have no love for religions in general, but this post is absurd to the extreme. Singling out religions for ridiculous beliefs and practices is ridiculous in itself. Please enumerate the religions that don't involve "miracles", "heavenly beings", super natural phenomena, and other assorted varieties of magical thinking.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
I have no love for religions in general, but this post is absurd to the extreme. Singling out religions for ridiculous beliefs and practices is ridiculous in itself. Please enumerate the religions that don't involve "miracles", "heavenly beings", super natural phenomena, and other assorted varieties of magical thinking.
Well now that you mention it ...

You have a point there!

I'm just quoting Howard Stern! (See Private Parts, starting on page 309 Private Parts - Google Books)

PS: Please don't put a curse on me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City