Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 PM

207 posts, read 513,618 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I feel like this one will always have some sort of relevance. I've been looking at places in the Bronx and Affordable Housing and living in either situation on $30K doesn't sound too bad.

I mean, if you found a legit place on Craigslist for $800 a month in the outer boroughs or Staten Island, would it not be feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I feel like this one will always have some sort of relevance. I've been looking at places in the Bronx and Affordable Housing and living in either situation on $30K doesn't sound too bad.

I mean, if you found a legit place on Craigslist for $800 a month in the outer boroughs or Staten Island, would it not be feasible?
Staten Island is not an easy commute to Manhattan. You would have to own a car to drive to the ferry and then take a subway from the Manhattan side to where you have to go. This commute will probably be well over an hour.

City affordable housing is not just open to anyone that applies. People can be on the waiting list for years.

$800 a month rent plus utilities will easily be $900 at the least (if you don't subscribe to cable/internet) and then what about food and transit?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 AM

207 posts, read 513,618 times
I might be horribly wrong, so I apologize in advance, but your monthly take home would be $2,083.69 right? Or about...we'll round down to $2,000.

If rent and utilities is $900, that brings you down to $1,100.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,333 times
The take home on 30k will be less than that with NY State/NYC taxes. When I first moved here I made $30k, and my take home was roughly $1800/mo. I was a full time grad student and working full time, and I took out roughly $8k in loans a year to supplement my income. So with $38k/year at my disposal, I still lived on SUCH a tight budget. After rent/utilities/bills I was left with roughly $400 a month for everything else- food, entertainment, clothing, random expenses, etc. So basically, it can be done with a VERY tight budget, roommates and the understanding that you will be constantly broke (and my rent was only $647).

Old 04-08-2012, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
Staten Island is not an easy commute to Manhattan. You would have to own a car to drive to the ferry and then take a subway from the Manhattan side to where you have to go. This commute will probably be well over an hour.

City affordable housing is not just open to anyone that applies. People can be on the waiting list for years.

$800 a month rent plus utilities will easily be $900 at the least (if you don't subscribe to cable/internet) and then what about food and transit?
You don't need to drive to the ferry. Most neighborhoods on SI have a direct bus to St. George.

If you live near the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge, you also have the option of taking a bus (the S53/79/93) to Bay Ridge and then taking the (R) train to Manhattan. Those routes serve other neighborhoods, but it becomes less practical to do that trip the further out you go.

In any case, for the most part, I'd say the best way to reach Manhattan is the express bus. You pay $50 a week for a weekly MetroCard (or $5.50 for a single trip). That MetroCard is also valid on local buses and subways in NYC. You're supposed to get a seat, though in practice, you could be standing from Manhattan to SI if you're taking a heavy route like the X1. Of course, if your place is by the ferry, your best bet is to just take the ferry.

Yes, the commute is long, but it's not too terrible if you do it right. I live pretty far out on the West Shore, and if I take the express bus, I could reach Downtown in 40 minutes, including walking (maybe 60 minutes if there's traffic). By local bus and ferry, it's at least 60 minutes to Lower Manhattan, but that's if everything goes perfectly. Realistically, it's closer to 70-80 minutes and could get up to 2 hours at times.

So if you do that, factor in the extra $100 for the express bus pass and remember that you get what you pay for as far as the commute from home.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Sounds like a low ball job offer from a sleazy company. Sure it's not on Wall Street? I would continue my job search and not jump at the first job offer just cause it's in Manhattan, New York City, or whatever you want to call it. In the state of Florida for example, you can own a whole house on 30k a year, my brothers mortgage is 550 dollars a month, I'm not kidding ya. I'm sure you're education cost more then 30k so why accept less then what you worked for?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandchelsea View Post
Hi,

My gf has the possibility of getting a job in Manhattan, and they want her to name her salary. They "suggested" 30k (she is entry-level, new college grad) but were unsure how much she would really need to live. The job also would want her close to work (Tribeca), so I'm not sure if we could get by moving to Queens or something!
You should tell your gf to tell the employer to go F itself.

Ask for at least 60k/yr. And no, I'm not kidding.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 AM

162 posts, read 304,230 times
You are going to need to make more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City