Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
He should be summarily FIRED!
It occurs to me that nobody seems to drag the Mayor into any of this. Isn't he supposed to be the man in charge--the man with the ultimate responsibility--where New York City is concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It occurs to me that nobody seems to drag the Mayor into any of this. Isn't he supposed to be the man in charge--the man with the ultimate responsibility--where New York City is concerned?
I've mentioned it, if not here, then on the brutality thread or the now-closed Occupy Long Island thread.

My guess is that the police are taking orders from someone in the mayor's office, and some of them are taking things a bit too far.

Last edited by Yzette; 10-27-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: type much?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM

206 posts, read 294,311 times
We had a march to City Hall last night in solidarity with Oakland to protest the police brutality that critically injured Marine Vet Scott Olsen, marches happened in a bunch of cities. The police got completely schooled, they had no idea how to handle the situation.

There was no march permit, they tried to keep us on the sidewalks but we reclaimed the street, and claimed the orange netting they use to corral people like animals. It is sitting in a trash can somewhere on Broadway.

Hundreds of people peacefully marching through the street, causing some traffic, and receiving a TON of support from the people stuck in traffic: high-fives, honking horns (especially from truckers and MTA bus drivers). Most people were pretty happy with what they were seeing, and this was my favorite part. If a New Yorker stuck in traffic is excited to be stuck in traffic, you know that people are starting to come together.

It was an important moment that showed strong solidarity with the other occupations and boosted morale and confidence for the entire group, as well as being a lot of fun!

Here's what the NYPD helicopter saw:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/132664848.html

Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Congratulations Abe,
You are putting yourself on the line.
I only "visit" occasionally but may increase my attendance.

I think Bloomberg would rather ignore the whole issue as he prepares for a quiet and very rich retirement. Better that than some petty tyrant trying to make his mark screaming about terrorists and shooting kids in the streets.

Bloomberg is smart enough and savvy enough about capitalism in the U.S. to know that these demonstrators are on solid ground.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Thanks for the update Abe...I am glad to see this movement continuing. I am hoping they start making some more major moves to keep the interest alive. We need to see larger crowds taking over more streets!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM

206 posts, read 294,311 times
Kefir I agree, it is interesting to see how Bloomberg is handling the situation. They know that there is media omnipresent at all times and that any more NYPD violence will just turn public sentiment to OWS even more. I think they are hoping for a harsh winter to clear the park out for them, but I also think that these people aren't going anywhere.

I debate whether force will eventually be used. I think it will because I believe that this movement is nearing a tipping point and will become "too big to fail" so to speak, in which case we are talking about something very far reaching and I don't know if the powers that be will sit idly by and do nothing. You can only spin a story so much before people see it straight.

Sobro, np, I'm just glad people are showing interest. The media may not be showing the same interest but the world is, and solidarity grows between OWS and the other occupations happening across the country every day, as well as those across the globe (ie-marches of solidarity last night, global day of rage). People in other nations have been waiting for US citizens to join them in speaking out, and after the permit-less march last night I wouldn't be surprised to see more boldness on the part of OWS marchers.

FYI there will be a rally at City Hall park at 12pm on saturday, followed by a march back to Zuccotti park.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
First vid prolly won't embed here...

Peter Schiff takes on 'The 99%' | MRCTV

This is quite a bit longer...

Peter Schiff Speaks for 1 Percent at Occupy Wall Street - YouTube

Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
I just spotted them downstairs from my workplace in midtown. They were protesting a Chase building while a bunch of Chase guards stood in rolls by the entrance. haha a nice scene.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Too bad the weather is going to turn really ugly tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Too bad the weather is going to turn really ugly tomorrow.

Let's see how many actually stick it out. It's supposed to be cold, rainy, snowy, blustery tomorrow. As it is, many of them go home at night and then return during the day and most of those tents are empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City