Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Most people don't understand what they are doing, or why, and see this as "attacking" Wall St. What they are doing is informing and educating, getting people involved, and steering the debate in the right direction, and they have been very successful at that. They are also in DC, and across major cities in the world...and change is coming...albeit is slowly.

I agree that politicians are culpable, and OWS has made that very clear. Just because you don't appreciate how they are trying to impact change, or don't agree with their exact strategy, does not mean they are not fighting for you! And a better question is, if you do not believe they are fighting for you...do you believe Skank of America is? Do you think Wal-Mart is? Do you think career politicians are? The answer is NO...

So why try to denigrate the people who are? Because they aren't doing things your way? Really?
Another misconception.

These folks are years late and a few protests short.

Various people have been writing about what has been going on for years. OWS is not revealing anything new, nor do they have any original ideas. They're bringing it unto a natinal stage but that is a double edged sword. Things that are brought unto the national stage in the US tend to be co-opted ,bastardized, and dumbed down.

Where were these people before? When easy money and lax regulation fueled the boom times, where were these people?
During the boom times there were plenty of folks warning of the dangers. Yet the vast majority of folks at OWS didn't give a ****. I guarantee it. O

When ****s hit the fan and it cut into their bottom line, they all of a sudden are enraged? They are just another interest group.
The hero is a person who fights injustice when it is unpopular to fight. OWS are not heroes. They're opportunists.

OWS are the Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's of fighting corruption.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 11-17-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
And yet you keep trying to dismiss...and I will never understand why. Since they are not doing it your way, or on your timelines, you are simply dismissing it all.

The concept of "better late than never" doesn't matter to you I guess. I am glad Martin Luther King and all those people who fought for Civil Rights didn't have the same mentality. Why wasn't anyone doing anything back in the 1700s to free slaves and give them rights? 1800s? Nope. Early 1900s? Still nothing. And then all of a sudden in the mid 60s everyone wants to give the blacks rights and equality...puuhhhlease! Where were all these people before? Why are they bothering now! You are right...better for them not to have done anything...better late than never means nothing, right? Everything you are saying can be said for the Civil Rights movement...and no doubt if you were around then you would be denigrating them also.

There is a time and place for everything, and just like the 60s had all the right ingredients for the successful movement, so too does this movement (we shall see).

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM

175 posts, read 487,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Another misconception.

These folks are years late and a few protests short.

Various people have been writing about what has been going on for years. OWS is not revealing anything new, nor do they have any original ideas. They're bringing it unto a natinal stage but that is a double edged sword. Things that are brought unto the national stage in the US tend to be co-opted ,bastardized, and dumbed down.

Where were these people before? When easy money and lax regulation fueled the boom times, where were these people?
During the boom times there were plenty of folks warning of the dangers. Yet the vast majority of folks at OWS didn't give a ****. I guarantee it. O

When ****s hit the fan and it cut into their bottom line, they all of a sudden are enraged? They are just another interest group.
The hero is a person who fights injustice when it is unpopular to fight. OWS are not heroes. They're opportunists.

OWS are the Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's of fighting corruption.

What are you doing exactly? Did you personally ask the OWS people what they thought ? Seriously, where do you get your logic from?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
"Why wasn't anyone doing anything back in the 1700s to free slaves and give them rights? 1800s? Nope."

I suppose you've never heard of John Brown. Or the abolitionist movement.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stri50 View Post
Don't worry. When they occupy the subway tomorrow, they'll change people's minds. Nothing makes people support a cause more than having people scream at them when they're trying to commute.

This made me laugh out loud!

I am not looking forward to my commute home today .

Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
And yet you keep trying to dismiss...and I will never understand why. Since they are not doing it your way, or on your timelines, you are simply dismissing it all.

The concept of "better late than never" doesn't matter to you I guess. I am glad Martin Luther King and all those people who fought for Civil Rights didn't have the same mentality. Why wasn't anyone doing anything back in the 1700s to free slaves and give them rights? 1800s? Nope. Early 1900s? Still nothing. And then all of a sudden in the mid 60s everyone wants to give the blacks rights and equality...puuhhhlease! Where were all these people before? Why are they bothering now! You are right...better for them not to have done anything...better late than never means nothing, right? Everything you are saying can be said for the Civil Rights movement...and no doubt if you were around then you would be denigrating them also.

There is a time and place for everything, and just like the 60s had all the right ingredients for the successful movement, so too does this movement (we shall see).
I'm dismissing something that they pretending to be but are not.

It's fine to protest but you're late to the game. You can only hope to salvage what comes out of the implosion because you ignored the problems for all these years.

Quote:
What are you doing exactly? Did you personally ask the OWS people what they thought ? Seriously, where do you get your logic from?
Why do I need to personally ask them when I didn't see them in the mid 2k's when all the abuses were going on and there were various sources writing about them. They weren't there because they were benefiting from it (on the surface). Do you think the state that we are in all of a sudden came about since 2008?

Where were they?

This is no different than people ignoring or dismissing police abuse until they experience it themselves. Too little, too late.

They're protesting after the fact and I have no reservations that the worst damage has already been done by the status quo and OWS can't salvage anything of value.

Quote:
The concept of "better late than never" doesn't matter to you I guess
WW2 did end. Better late than never! I guess those that let Hitler fester since the early 30's aren't so bad after all!

The sub prime bubble did burst. Better late than never! At least we didn't lever up even more than we had!

There is such a thing as too late.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM

206 posts, read 294,406 times
Here's a message from the elderly woman Dori Rainey, who was pepper sprayed:
Occupy Seattle: Octogenarian activist Dorli Rainey on being pepper-sprayed by Seattle police, importance of activism - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

Old 11-17-2011, 10:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
you mean the lady that splashed some milk in her face and then posed for a picture?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
the fact that a lot of democrats are desperate for this "movement" to gain steam isnt going to magically make it happen. this joke is just about over with.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
And you're doing the exact same thing, only in reverse. You're supporting them unquestioningly.

Let me ask you something: this "Occupy Wall Street" thing has been going on for nearly two months now. Other than creating a sanitary hazard, and some internet video footage, what have they actually accomplished? Have any of the financial institutions they're supposedly railing against made any changes in their operations at all--let alone been brought down?

And the acid test is still to come. Do you think they're going to remain out there in the streets when winter sets in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City