Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

I was talking about this "Occupy Wall Street" thing with a friend of mine the other day, and I told him that if there was anything legitimate about it, I figured there would be similar protests in other cities. He sort of surprised me by saying that there are--although he couldn't tell me where.

Have any of you heard anything about other protests starting up as a direct result of what's happening here in New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Oh yes, Fred.

Quote:
In Manhattan on Monday, hundreds of protesters dressed as corporate zombies in white face paint lurched past the New York Stock Exchange clutching fistfuls of fake money. In Chicago, demonstrators pounded drums in the city's financial district. Others pitched tents or waved protest signs at passing cars in Boston, St. Louis, Kansas City, Mo., and Los Angeles.
A slice of America's discontented, from college students worried about their job prospects to middle-age workers who have been recently laid off, were galvanized after the arrests of 700 protesters on the Brooklyn Bridge over the weekend.
Some protesters likened themselves to the tea party movement - but with a liberal bent - or to the Arab Spring demonstrators who brought down their rulers in the Middle East.
Occupy Wall Street Protests Inspire Demonstrations In Other Cities

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. - A sun-soaked noon rally within blocks of the White House brought out hundreds of protesters Thursday to mark the 10th anniversary of the Afghanistan War.
On Freedom Square, sign-carrying demonstrators banged drums, sang and cheered a series of fiery speeches by anti-war activists, who decried the federal government's continued funding of the Afghan and Iraqi wars while calling for cuts to social programs for the elderly, poor and people with disabilities.
Planning for the rally began six months ago, but the event's timing dovetailed perfectly with nationwide protests in support of the ongoing Occupy Wall Street demonstration in New York. There were similar protests against income inequality and perceived corporate profiteering Thursday in Austin, Texas, Sacramento, Calif., Houston, Philadelphia, Boise, Idaho, Portland, Ore., and other cities.
Demonstrations sprout in DC, cities across US | GazetteNET

You don't hear a lot about it on the news because the " CorporateNews" in the United States is really only supposed to glorify uprisings against regimes in OTHER countries. Local dissent is always played down...as we saw all through the 60's and most recently of the millions marching against the pre-planned Iraq War in the week before the Bush-Cheney invasion.
If you hear about local dissent at all it's only a whisper.

But the YANKEES WON...that you hear til you're driven deaf. And women in Queens are having their asses grabbed...story at 10, 11, 11:30, 11:45, 12, 1, 2.

But I guess since Egypt and Libya and Syria can now organize and report dissent over the internet, perhaps we can too, without the superfluous blessings of CNN, NBC, ABC and FOX who can only gas about the exploits of Senator Bl0wjob and his mistress...and ass-grabbing in Queens.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I was talking about this "Occupy Wall Street" thing with a friend of mine the other day, and I told him that if there was anything legitimate about it, I figured there would be similar protests in other cities. He sort of surprised me by saying that there are--although he couldn't tell me where.

Have any of you heard anything about other protests starting up as a direct result of what's happening here in New York?

The Truth Denied Breaking News - Occupying Everywhere!

World Blog - Occupy Wall Street-style protests spread to Britain

Occupy Wall St. Spreads Across the Atlantic | Gather

Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Fred you are able to manuever city-data pretty well, and post all sorts of links to things, but can't figure out whether there are other demonstrations happening anywhere else? Really? Something smells fishy.

Kefir great post.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Fred you are able to manuever city-data pretty well, and post all sorts of links to things, but can't figure out whether there are other demonstrations happening anywhere else? Really? Something smells fishy.

Kefir great post.

Really. Even the mainstream media is covering protests in different cities now.

It's not that difficult (http://tinyurl.com/6emnldk - broken link).

Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
We'll see if the Wall st. protestors are having any effect on policy, or whether its all just hand waving and camping, when the jobs bill/millionaire's surtax bill gets to the Senate very soon. If it doesn't pass, I don't hold out hope for the movement being of much consequence after that.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM

206 posts, read 294,406 times
Tuesday October 11th, Democracy Now has some very in depth coverage of the movement: A daily TV/radio news program, hosted by Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez, airing on over 900 stations, pioneering the largest community media collaboration in the United States.

Author Naomi Klein speaks about the movement: http://www.thenation.com/article/163...hing-world-now

Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
They might have some good points but now these demonstrations are costing the city $ and taking police away from high crime areas. Also, shouldn't the main protests be in DC?

Last edited by proroc; 10-11-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 17,884 times
I think they should be in DC too, in front of the Senate, Congress but I security is very tight.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM

810 posts, read 836,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
They might have some good points but now these demonstrations are costing the city $ and taking police away from high crime areas. Also, shouldn't the main protests be in DC?
DC is full of puppets who get their orders from Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City