Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times

Advertisements

Talking about going to extremes..you think an elderly person has the speed, vision, dexterity to handle a gun to actually defend themselves. Right...grandma can barely understand the log-in screen on a computer...yet she can load, point and shoot a gun. Nevermind the fact that grandma scares easily and will probably shoot her grandkids in her hazy, prescription drug filled brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Thats not the discussion for this thread. We beat the pros and cons to death already. grandma shouldnt be driving either and i would most likely feel safer with her with a gun then with her behind the wheel of a car if she is that bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,808,514 times
Some seniors can some cannot.
Just like anything else.
Wouldn't you sleep better knowing your mother had a firearm on her if the law said she was qualified?
Or would you just rather her be yet ANOTHER senior victim?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Talking about going to extremes..you think an elderly person has the speed, vision, dexterity to handle a gun to actually defend themselves. Right...grandma can barely understand the log-in screen on a computer...yet she can load, point and shoot a gun. Nevermind the fact that grandma scares easily and will probably shoot her grandkids in her hazy, prescription drug filled brain.
Not ALL grannies are like that. Some are on their game. I've seen some who'd make you swear they were a 20 year old in an 80 year old persons body.

Thanks for the info OP. While a gun in my home doesn't necessary make me feel safer, I probably will have one when I have a family. God forbid something happens on this tiny island and we can't get off and people start going crazy.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Stagger I would sleep better knowing that my mother does not have a gun. And for that matter, I have ALWAYS slept fine knowing my mother never had, does not have, and never will have a gun. And miraculously she survives to this day..amazing huh?

The idea that unless you have a gun you will fall victim to a crime, or instilling the fear of "what if" is a joke. How do you sleep at night knowing your mom doesn't walk around with a bullet proof vest and construction helmet all day? What IF she is shot? Won't you be glad she has a bullet proof vest...I dunno how you could sleep at night knowing she does not wear one. And the construction hat is clearly a must...she could be hit with a falling brick...or a baseball bat...clearly you would feel better and sleep at night if she had the hat.

See how ridiculous that sounds? You sound the same..except you believe what you are saying.

As for sheaosaurus....in the event that something so extreme happens that we cannot get off Manhattan, and the entire city turns into WW3, having a gun and 6 bullets will do nothing for you or your family. In fact it will probably kill you because you will think you are Superman and get into a shoot-out with people..and you will lose. If you are preparing for such a meltdown....you are better off stocking food, water, and creating an underground bunker where you and your family will be safe. Somehow though...I don't think you are doing any of that..cuz that would be logical. Best to just have a gun and hope for the best!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
I officially dub SoBroGuy "King Straw Man"

Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,537 times
Sobro why are you trying to derail the thread?? This thread is for people who are INTERESTED in owning a firearm in NYC. Take you phobia of guns elsewhere.

To the OP...appreciate the information. Personally though, if I can't carry it concealed, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM

this is true, but then there is the old adage that says its better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. im sure quite a few do carry with the residence permit. not legally but im sure they do

Old 09-16-2011, 04:43 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is true, but then there is the old adage that says its better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. im sure quite a few do carry with the residence permit. not legally but im sure they do
I went to school in upstate NY and I purchased a shotgun at a Wal Mart there.

Let's just say I didn't leave it behind when I came back home.

I suggest others do the same. A shotgun is better for home defense anyways.
Take a drive up north (or even LI). Find a Wal Mart/ Cabla's/ Dick's. Don't need a license/permit.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM

you can buy long arms like rifles and shotguns anywhere with a clean record and new york drivers license. no permit is required to buy these in new york state.

what you cant do is posses them in new york city. your biggest fear of doing so is if you are burglerized and its stolen. you cant report them stolen without being guilty of a crime and if they are found at a crime scene it can be traced back to you.

by the way a shotgun or any long arm is horrible for home defense. anyone with no more than 10 minutes practice can grab the barrel in close quarters and using leverage have it away from you in seconds.

a home is just to confined to use long arms on someone already inside. walking around with a big barrel sticking out is easily grabbed.

when in close quarters good training has your elbows in and all the way back even with a handgun when walking around checking out noises.

a shotgun at close quarters has barely any spread at all as well as being so over penetrating if you use effective buck shot or slugs you can go right through your walls with it.

all in all shotguns make for better tv action and folk lore thn being practical inside a home.\

nothing beats slipping a small hammerless revolver in a robe pocket and then going to check things out.. hear a loud banging at your door late at night,no problem. open the door and the person never even is aware they have a handgun pointed at them as you keep it in your robe pocket .

we had that once on our block in queens where all the homes are cookie cutter..someone was out partying and came home to the right house but wrong block at 2:00am and was banging on the wrong door. .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-16-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City