Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 14,049 times

Advertisements

I have been a tenant here is Starrett City for 15 years and can say first hand I have been interacting with management for some time. The woman at the front desk and the majority of workers in the office are extremely rude. I also have seen many incidents where other tenants where so irate and almost fights have broken out. They don't care because they call security, which is starrett owened and they get their way.
90% of tenants here recieve some kind of goverment assistance and I don't feel that because of this, they have a right to treat these tenants as if they are below respect. Even when you call and say thank you, they just hang up! My aparment is a one bedroom and because I have been late with my rent on more then one occassion, Managament told me no way no how will I ever see a bigger aparment, I have a 17year old daughter on my lease a 7year old daughter on my lease and my 7year old has ADD ( attention deficit disorder) and then there is my son who is 4 and he is ADHD( Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) Then there is me I have sever asthama and they will not move me I highly recommend that all tenants take a stand and make complaints. Don't be afraid just because we live here they will things hard for you. We have rights too. This is discrimination!! I'm trying to find someone who can help me please help if u can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
No offense but it seems perfectly logical that if you have had a history of late payments on your current apartment, you would have an even harder time paying the rent on a bigger and presumably more expensive apartment.

I just don't see any kind of "discrimination" in this scenario unless it's discrimination against people who can't pay their rent on time and who don't look like they would be able to responsibly pay an even higher rent.

There is no right to a larger apartment for anyone.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,598 times
The Starrett City I knew ceased to exist when they were ordered to stop racial quotas by the US Supreme Court in 1998. I agree that the OP should pay her rent on time if she is going to complain. But I also think she is right about the quality of customer service and professionalism not being what it once was.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Why would they give a ****?

They know many receive government assistance and aren't going anywhere for that reason. This isn't an equal relationship.

In their view, if you don't like it, you're free to leave.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
And then there was the matter of a huge investor BUYING Starrett City (now Spring Creek Towers) out of Mitchell Lama several couple years back to Clipper and trying to up the rates...and a big squabble, much court time. The deal fell though, another deal was set up, that fell through.

Like nycovvt,
I feel the fate of the place was sealed when the Supreme Court ruled that the owners were not allowed to seek racial balance in renting...whites had given preference becasue fewer were applying...the waiting lists were overwhelmingly black.

With the current situation of multiple owners, and multiple court rulings it sounds like the new management, whoever they are, would like to see as many old tenants as possible move out and they are acting accordingly.

So now the place is quasi-private, quasi-controlled, neither fish nor fowl and that makes for a less than desirable renting experience.

Can you force a private owner to give you a bigger apartment because you have a lot of kids? I doubt it.

Try NYCHA?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisylvester View Post
I have been a tenant here is Starrett City for 15 years and can say first hand I have been interacting with management for some time. The woman at the front desk and the majority of workers in the office are extremely rude. I also have seen many incidents where other tenants where so irate and almost fights have broken out. They don't care because they call security, which is starrett owened and they get their way.
90% of tenants here recieve some kind of goverment assistance and I don't feel that because of this, they have a right to treat these tenants as if they are below respect. Even when you call and say thank you, they just hang up! My aparment is a one bedroom and because I have been late with my rent on more then one occassion, Managament told me no way no how will I ever see a bigger aparment, I have a 17year old daughter on my lease a 7year old daughter on my lease and my 7year old has ADD ( attention deficit disorder) and then there is my son who is 4 and he is ADHD( Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) Then there is me I have sever asthama and they will not move me I highly recommend that all tenants take a stand and make complaints. Don't be afraid just because we live here they will things hard for you. We have rights too. This is discrimination!! I'm trying to find someone who can help me please help if u can
The management team should treat everyone with respect. However, you paid your rent late on more than one occasion. I would not move you either. When you pay your bills late, it implies that you are irresponsible. Discrimination is not a word that should be used lightly.I do not believe they are discriminating against you. I think you should focus on being a more responsible tenant. I would wait a year and contact the management office. I also do not think it matters what your family ailments are. Everyone has ailments. It gets worse as you get older. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 13,755 times
starett city mangement staff are incompotent and can make a tenanat commit sucide!! The adminstrators work with you but the the staff have no customer service skills ...i dont know but they need to take classes in customer service /// and reorganized thier system for the needs of the tenants .. not thier own ... They all take smoking breaks on the side .. all they do is make the air quality worse in starrett!!! dont rent an aprtment here... you get nice room for a migraines and doctor visit for anxiety .. and high blood pressure!!!!!They do have favoritism and they think they are gods helpers.. seriously .... when eyes get rolled and teeth are sucked you know ... your money whether its section 8 or mitchell lama or any program .. money is money ... they dont accomidate nobody but them selves .. and then they say things to make you flip.....

Last edited by starettOrginallady; 01-31-2012 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: needed to ad more

Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 13,702 times
yall a bunch of idiots that dont have anything to do but talk ****. be greatful for every day you are given. not everyone is the same. most tenants are spoiled, rude and think they are slick. you cant please everyone in any business, not even burgerking really gives it to you your way. about the people with attitudes, everyone has one including you. and everyone knows management does fulfill your transfer wish if you fit the criteria, the 1st thing you need to do is pay your rent on time for an entire year and than resubmit another transfer. you dont deserve everything just cuz you ask for it. you need to work your way up in this world. and not for nothing to the idiot who swears starret just started receiving money from the goverment they are wrong. they have been receiving money since the begining days, it is why it is called affordable housing. now the only thing wrong with starret city is the dam tenants. management doesnt live in the buildings you do. you want to get together and do something to make starret a better place? then you need to form together to solve real problems like crimes and ask your self why there are so many dogs when there are big signs that say no dogs. people break rules and management is there to regulate the rules to try to decrease chaos. lets face it people, humans are not exactly the most perfect people. stop blaming the managment office and stop relying on them to do all the fix ups. people actually get together to do neighborhood watches and marches. instead of keeping an eye on how many times management smokes on the side of the door realize that their is no law that says smoking outside is illegal unless it is on park grounds or in buildings and public places. management is not on park grounds and you should be upset with your neighbor who smokes and pisses in the hallway or stairwell instead. pinpoint the real problems dont point fingers at the wrong people. grow up people and open your dam eyes.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 12,570 times
Unhappy possible new tenant

My name is Darbie. I am trying to get apartment there and they act like you have to be making a lot of money justto get in. All I want is a one bedroom it is just me and I do work but because I work only parttime I don't qualify. I pay taxes just like they do and half of the population there is on some type of program and don't work getting public assistance. What else do I
have to do to get in.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
I remember growing up in Starrett city in the early eighties. My parents started to make too much money to qualify to the live there so we had to move. I only have fond memories of that place by the landfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: