Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 PM

20 posts, read 103,494 times

Advertisements

What would you say is an average power bill for the following conditions? I'd like to be better prepared with something relatively more accurate than assuming $1,000 when I plan on my move back to Queens.

800 to 1,000 sq. ft. apartment
Air conditioner generally around 70°
Television/Xbox/PS3/Computer frequently used throughout the day/half the night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
In Summer, assuming some sun into the apartment...$300 (with a LARGE error rate.) The 70 degree assumption must be jettisoned or you'll go broke$$$$ and have to wear a sweater. Settle for 75 degrees...Con-Ed recommends 78 but that a bit warm.

If you have air conditioned neighbors, maybe a bit less, empty or absentee neighbors, more.

Winter depend on whether or not you make electric heat...a fortune if you do, perhaps $150 if you don't.

If you are home most of the day...more. If out a lot...less.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:49 PM

I make about $6k a month, so upping the temperature isn't really a factor for me. $300 sounds better than $1,000 at any rate.

I'd be home a fair bit of the day too since I get my work done at home.

Oh and ideally I like my AC on at 65, to be honest... so I'm already compromising with 70 degrees. :P I'm not concerned with winter because I will thrive in the coldness.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,650 times
My parents have an 1800 sq house with central air. The highest bill in the last 2 years was $232.
You may be using more power during the day but I can't imagine that much more.

A/C usage basically doubles your bill and I highly doubt you'll use more than $150 of reg power per month.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 AM

NEVER forget that Con-Ed rates are now $.29 per Kwhr...this has NEVER been seen before anytwhere on Earth so old data is useless for comparison.

shotty,
Trust me, if you get an ACTUAL 70 degrees, measured by thermometer, not the number on the front of the AC, you will go far higher than $300/month.

I have a friend who insists she is comfortable at 65 degrees but does not own a thermometer. If she visits and the temperature falls to 72 degrees she begins rubbing her arms and asks for a sweater. I just shake my head in disbelief. She never goes to a theater in Summer without a sweater and a shawl????? At home she sets her A/C for 60 degrees and says that's just right but she doesn't realize that it never shuts off and never reaches anywhere close to that temperature. I have gotten exhausted explaining it to her.

I have bought her an 18 inch thermometer for when I next see her.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
NEVER forget that Con-Ed rates are now $.29 per Kwhr...this has NEVER been seen before anytwhere on Earth so old data is useless for comparison.

shotty,
Trust me, if you get an ACTUAL 70 degrees, measured by thermometer, not the number on the front of the AC, you will go far higher than $300/month.

I have a friend who insists she is comfortable at 65 degrees but does not own a thermometer. If she visits and the temperature falls to 72 degrees she begins rubbing her arms and asks for a sweater. I just shake my head in disbelief. She never goes to a theater in Summer without a sweater and a shawl????? At home she sets her A/C for 60 degrees and says that's just right but she doesn't realize that it never shuts off and never reaches anywhere close to that temperature. I have gotten exhausted explaining it to her.

I have bought her an 18 inch thermometer for when I next see her.
The 232 bill was this past July-August.
OP won't go over $300 unless he cranks his A/C 24/7 at 60.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I own a thermometer, so I can safely say that I am in fact comfortable at 65/70 degrees. I get sweater-cold around 60, start feeling overheated at 75. I know it gets to the right temperature regardless because my AC shuts off periodically. :P

Nonetheless, I'm probably only willing to set my AC in a way that keeps it from reaching 75, because that's when I get too warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The 232 bill was this past July-August.
OP won't go over $300 unless he cranks his A/C 24/7 at 60.
And I doubt I would even get it down to 60 anyway, let alone 24/7, so if that's true, then I should be good.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Nonetheless, I'm probably only willing to set my AC in a way that keeps it from reaching 75, because that's when I get too warm.

That is the smart way to operate and yet I GUARANTEE the electric bill will startle you next July.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
That is the smart way to operate and yet I GUARANTEE the electric bill will startle you next July.
I was startled with a $175 bill once this summer. I have two a/c's but I don't run them 24/7, and in fact the big one I would usually keep at 80 during the day (if I wasn't home) and then turn off completely at night. When I was home all day, I was running both of them and had them set around 75.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM

169 posts, read 675,198 times
Default Electric bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotty View Post
What would you say is an average power bill for the following conditions? I'd like to be better prepared with something relatively more accurate than assuming $1,000 when I plan on my move back to Queens.

800 to 1,000 sq. ft. apartment
Air conditioner generally around 70°
Television/Xbox/PS3/Computer frequently used throughout the day/half the night
It shouldn't be anywhere near $300.
I have a 2,000 sq ft house with 3.5 ton central air unit (40,000 BTU) unit. For 1,000 sq ft , 20,000 should be more than enough so you shouldn't be consuming over 800 kwh / month, no more than, $240 - unless you keep all your other appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City